Help needed removing sram eagle cassette. Tool not deep enough to go over end cap and seat/engage properly.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
sram eagle 12 speed cassette, xd driver, trying to remove cassette.
I have a chain whip I have correct size splined removal tool, but the interior hole of the removal tool is too shallow to cover the XD driver end cap not allowing the splines to sit and engage properly, barely 1mm. i am assuming that the end cap doesn't come off and the tool is to blame.
Can anyone recommend a cheapish tool that has a deeper recess inside? Been driving me mad all day thinking the end cap must come off some how.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There are two types of that tool, one shallow, one deep. The deep one has a central spike and uses a square drive instead of a hex. As you can see from the pics, I got mine from FatSpanner. The one without the spike serves for brake discs and forks.

Sockets 1.jpg
Sockets 2.jpg

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
There are two types of that tool, one shallow, one deep. The deep one has a central spike and uses a square drive instead of a hex. As you can see from the pics, I got mine from FatSpanner. The one without the spike serves for brake discs and forks.

View attachment 43450 View attachment 43451

thanks very much. I have the shallow one. I'll source a half inch drive one from fatspanner.
?

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
As above. a few hubs (eg. Hope) require you to remove the driveside end cap spacer first before using the removal tool.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
As above. a few hubs (eg. Hope) require you to remove the driveside end cap spacer first before using the removal tool.
Unfortunately the xd driver end cap is flanged and therefore is under the cogs and cannot be pulled off until the cassette is removed.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales

Although stock could be a problem

www.amazon.co.uk/IceToolz-Cassette-Lockring-Tool-Shimano/dp/B0028N57UU/ref=pd_lpo_468_t_0/262-2565059-5656643
Thanks for doing some digging for me. I will be trying Halfords and LBS today. Then online if necessary. I would rather see the tool with my own eyes before blidly purchasing...
just to make sure. i almost pressed the button the Icetoolz tool but there's no way of telling whether the inside is bore out enough.
?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
As per the amazon review photos...

View attachment 43499

it's the depth ( or lack of) of the interior hole in the tool which is the problem. Not the splines or diameter.

Anyway I got a park tool specifically for the job at LBS this morning and the job took just 10 seconds.
it has a deep hollowed recess and is also designed for 12mm thru axle. The interior hole needs to be at least 15mm to sit over the end cap and then sit in the cassette.

638A4B69-304D-4057-967A-832A2B4BA62A.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles