Levo Gen 2 Help choosing between air or spring shock

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
Hi, the shock on my gen2 Levo expert got damaged when the shop tried to service it so now I am looking for a replacement.
The local Rockshox dealer is trying to convince me that the best option would be the Super deluxe ultimate coil but I am no sure if an air shock would be a better option since I do mostly trail riding and do not do huge drops or jumps.
Anybody sharing their experiences would be appreciated.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I switched to an EXT coil on my gen 2 because I thought it would give me a smoother ride on the washboard tracks I usually ride. And it did. Not as big a change as putting the Smashpot coil in my fork, but it did help.

Guys typically point to the not-very-progressive Levo rear geo as the reason to avoid a coil spring, but some shocks can fit a variable rate coil. This give you the best of both worlds - an increasing rate spring like an air sping and the lower friction of a coil spring. My EXT is not one of them, so I'm running a fixed rate spring.

I don't ride trails that "hit hard", so the only time I've bottomed out the rear suspension is when I do a big preload for one of the huck-to-flat drops where I usually ride. That feels like bike abuse to me, so I haven't done it very often.

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
I'll go the opposite :)

I swapped out a DVO air shock for a Cane Creek Kitsuma, faffed around for ages with different coils, progressive springs etc.

I just couldn't find a set-up that felt as good as the progressive ramp of air for the last 30% of the travel.

The first 30% of travel was marginally smoother and tracked better with the coil but any big hits/drops and pushing out of fast corners I just got on much better with the air so went back to the DVO Topaz.

The Jtech suspension guys that were helping me did mention that riders over 80kg can struggle to nail a coil setup on a levo with the linear curve. I'm around 85kg

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I didn't want a coil because I thought air could be more fun. But after going with a long link on my S3, the X2 made contact with the frame, so I quickly put on an Ohlin's coil, and boy do I love it. The bike is so planted. It doesn't have quite the same pop, but it climbs insanely well now up tech and is on rails going downhill. On such a heavy bike, I find the coil suits it very well.

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
I just ordered the Super Deluxe ultimate coil, I read that the hydraulic bottom out is great for the linear suspension of the Levo.
Will report back once I try it.
Thanks to everybody for their insights, it helped to put to rest the agony of the decision.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I didn't want a coil because I thought air could be more fun. But after going with a long link on my S3, the X2 made contact with the frame, so I quickly put on an Ohlin's coil, and boy do I love it. The bike is so planted. It doesn't have quite the same pop, but it climbs insanely well now up tech and is on rails going downhill. On such a heavy bike, I find the coil suits it very well.
I put an Ohlins TTX on after my 3rd air shock failure. This was pretty much my experience too. Makes the back end feel track the ground more closely.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles