Hello all, so I have two EMTBs in the shop 'basket'...but I can only have one...arrgghhh...

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
How did they compare? Its been a challenge finding unbiased opinions. Most of the reviews say "they are both good"

I think that’s exactly the thing Dax, they really are both excellent bikes, and there isn’t a great deal in it. The Levo is slightly more nimble probably due to the shorter and therefore stiffer-feeling suspension (the geometry is fairly close/similar), which was actually a big attraction to the Levo. But the Kenevo is no juggernaught, although it does feel ‘bigger’ but that could be as simple as the slightly wider bars. A point of note actually, I only rode the Levo Carbon, so it was also a fair bit lighter than the Kenevo (he did quote how much, but I can't remember, 700g??).

I do feel as though I could do pretty much anything on the Kenevo that I could do on the Levo (which is the Ebike leveller that attracted me this way in the first place), but I wouldn’t be able to do everything on the Levo quite as well as the Kenevo (gravity stuff). And that’s how my logic partly swung it. I think on the Levo I would occasionally wish I had the Kenevo but I'm confident I won’t wish I’d swung to the Levo.
If you’re not (or rarely) doing any serious narly DH stuff, I would probably recommend the Carbon Levo.

What did shock me is how different they feel compared to my old Stumpjumper, they feel huge compared to that (I'm talking about my old Stumpy from about 10 years ago mind you and I know they got 'bigger' in recent years), which could also be partly psychological due to looking down at that massive 2.8 tyre? Dunno.

I absolutely wouldn’t be disappointed with either, the Öhlins and 150mm dropper on the Kenevo did help sway me, as well as of course the bigger travel which suits my style a lot more.

It’s definitely horses for courses, both amazing bikes.

Thanks again for all the advice, can't wait to meet some of you on a group ride soon.

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
good choice I have a levo and its a brilliant bike but I have grown to dislike the geometry, my wife has a kenevo expert and it is a fantastically capable bike, shes a much better rider than me but on the tight techy stuff she just leaves me in the dust.
If I was buying again it would be kenevo or vitus, I really rate the vitus and am probably going to buy one to have as well

Completely agree Dave, the Levo felt like an incredible bike and I'm serious when I say I very nearly swung towards it, but I think you're right too, the Kenevo is something extra special.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Congrats, great choice! Did you order the new Kenevo in blue?

Did you notice a difference when going uphill with the Levo and Kenevo? Is the Levo climbing easier (and with less motor assist, so it get's more range) ? And how big has the difference of the rear suspension been for you?

Man, i was in for the Levo but now you got me thinking again.... o_O:LOL:

Bigbarper

Jul 10, 2018
Horsham, West Sussex.
Hi all

Newbie just joined, great thread, thanks for sharing all your thoughts and ideas, I was close to paralysis by analysis until I read this thread, there is so much info out there.

For me I’ve distilled it down to maximising the fun factor in the limited time I have available nowadays, now I will be able to jump on the ebike at a moments notice and get I expect two or three times the number of descents in my typical hours ride.

Got a great deal on an XL Kenevo expert in black from my LBS, pick it up Saturday.......yeh ha!!

Looking forward to joining an eMTB ride out soon.

ATB

Phil.

Last edited:

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
Congrats, great choice! Did you order the new Kenevo in blue?

Did you notice a difference when going uphill with the Levo and Kenevo? Is the Levo climbing easier (and with less motor assist, so it get's more range) ? And how big has the difference of the rear suspension been for you?

Man, i was in for the Levo but now you got me thinking again.... o_O:LOL:

I’m feeling your pain, it drove me insane.
The blue was absolutely my intention, and I really didn’t like the Cali green fade from the photos, but when I saw the Cali green and blue in the flesh the green was my definite favourite.

I didn’t get chance to really test them hard, far from it, and im cautious of writing my thoughts as I’m such an Ebike newbie. I think other reviews will be correct that theoretically you’ll get more range out of the Levo, especially the carbon; it’s lighter, so that must be a factor right? If range is a significant factor for you, you should definitely be sticking to your initial gut instinct of the Levo.
But, don’t forget for long rides you can get a range extender or second battery. So many bloomin variables!

Yes, I could definitely feel a difference between the suspension. A significant difference. The same as if you rode a non electric 150mm and then jumped on a 180mmDH Bike. Very different feel to the suspension.

Honestly, I can’t stress enough, the Levo is an excellent bike and would probably be a better choice for most, but I really do smash my way down hills with little finesse haha, so need all the help I can get.

It sounds like you need to ride both of them, it helped me confirm it was Kenevo time. The advice I was given was spot on - buy the bike that most suits your type of riding.

Last edited:

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
Hi all

Newbie just joined, great thread, thanks for sharing all your thoughts and ideas, I was close to paralysis by analysis until I read this thread, there is so much info out there.

For me I’ve distilled it down to maximising the fun factor in the limited time I have available nowadays, now I will be able to jump on the ebike at a moments notice and get I expect two or three times the number of descents in my typical hours ride.

Got a great deal on an XL Kenevo expert in black from my LBS, pick it up Saturday.......yeh ha!!

Looking forward to joining an eMTB ride out soon.

ATB

Phil.

Paralysis by analysis, haha love that! I was the same, it's worth the research though and i'm happy with my decision (and more happy that i finally made a bloody decision as it was driving me up the wall).

Ah man, roll on Saturday!!! Mine will probably be next week.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Thanks for your thoughts davegixer. Yes, I will definitely ride them both.

... but I really do smash my way down hills with little finesse haha, so need all the help I can get

Haha, this is great :LOL:

Right now my brain is all like "Levo! Trust me, it's exactly what you need!" and my action-jackson-minime is yelling "KENEEEEVOOOO!!!" :p

By the way, I found this article here, it's 4 weeks old and it's exactly about the "Levo vs Kenevo":
Specialized Levo vs. Kenevo: More travel = more fun? | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
Thanks for your thoughts davegixer. Yes, I will definitely ride them both.

Haha, this is great :LOL:

Right now my brain is all like "Levo! Trust me, it's exactly what you need!" and my action-jackson-minime is yelling "KENEEEEVOOOO!!!" :p

By the way, I found this article here, it's 4 weeks old and it's exactly about the "Levo vs Kenevo":
Specialized Levo vs. Kenevo: More travel = more fun? | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

Hahaha, Donnie that's made me chuckle - action-jackson minime, :ROFLMAO::LOL: brilliant.

Yeh I read that article, what do you think since reading it?

I've just found this (link below), the link is to the Kenevo, scroll down to 'geometry,' then open the Levo in a different tab and compare. Might help you get a clear differentiation between the two. And might send you into a flat spin of information overload like I had a few times :confused:

Turbo Kenevo Expert 6Fattie – NB | Specialized.com

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Hahaha, Donnie that's made me chuckle - action-jackson minime, :ROFLMAO::LOL: brilliant.

Yeh I read that article, what do you think since reading it?

I've just found this (link below), the link is to the Kenevo, scroll down to 'geometry,' then open the Levo in a different tab and compare. Might help you get a clear differentiation between the two. And might send you into a flat spin of information overload like I had a few times :confused:

Turbo Kenevo Expert 6Fattie – NB | Specialized.com

The testers said the expected - Levo: climbing better, faster, more range / Kenevo: perfect fun machine. But the Kenevo can also climb steep, rough, technical stuff more easy which I find is a bit strange, due to it's shorter chain stay and shorter head unit - it's the lower front and the rear suspension that helps a lot here.
One thing I don't like on the Kenevo is the dropper post wu. While having more freedom on downhills, having it lowered, you can't really sit on it - I'm doing that quite often on rough technical uphill sections. Also not sure if the lifted top of the saddle gets in the way when bunny hopping?
I really have to test them both.
Thanks for the link, but I've been geeking over those specs quite a while already ^^

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Lets make this decision real easy.

The motor, irrelevant of what bike you buy, makes the uphills/boring parts of a normal bike ride fun, and opens up new horizons. Sure some bikes are better at going uphill, but unless climbing is your be all and end all the differences between all the decent e-mtbs on the market is marginal. The Levo may be slightly better at a technical uphill switchback than the Kenvo, but so what

So that leaves going downhill - if you like to go as fast as possible downhill, hit jumps etc etc then get the Kenevo. If you are more cross country/trail focused then get the Levo. The Levo is a very capable bike, but if you are looking to push yourself and your riding Gravity style, you will regret not getting the Kenevo.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
One thing I don't like on the Kenevo is the dropper post wu. While having more freedom on downhills, having it lowered, you can't really sit on it - I'm doing that quite often on rough technical uphill sections.

I think the Kenevo dropper post is a serious negative, and so this now rules out the Kenevo for me.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
The kenevo dropper works very well, I often have it dropped an inch or so for technical climbs. When fully dropped it's at the angle you would out a saddle at on a dh bike for descending.

Would suggest demoing one before you rule it out

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
The kenevo dropper works very well, I often have it dropped an inch or so for technical climbs. When fully dropped it's at the angle you would out a saddle at on a dh bike for descending.

I should have indicated I am in a somewhat peculiar situation.
I have no quadriceps in my left leg; so I can't stand on the pedals. I must sit on any bike all the time.
So really now it's the Levo for me; just waiting for the 2019 models (though it appears there probably will be no change compared with 2018).

Maybe the dropper posts for the Kenevo and Levo are interchangeable?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
You can always change the dropper out my wife did on her kenevo

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
You can always change the dropper out my wife did on her kenevo

Which dropper post did your wife install?

I checked the Specialized website - the Command Post WU, which is on the Kenevo, is only offered with a diameter of 34.9.
All the other Specialized dropper posts have a smaller diameter.

Last edited:

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
We put in a 31.6 with a shim but xfusion and a few others do 34.9

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
One thing I don't like on the Kenevo is the dropper post wu. While having more freedom on downhills, having it lowered, you can't really sit on it - I'm doing that quite often on rough technical uphill sections. Also not sure if the lifted top of the saddle gets in the way when bunny hopping?
I really have to test them both. ^^

I think the Kenevo dropper post is a serious negative, and so this now rules out the Kenevo for me.

Remember to take into account that the Kenevo dropper goes lower than the Levo (for the same frame sizes), so the Kenevo remains pretty flat during the same stroke/distance as the Levo which is ideal for the accents mentioned, but it then has the option to drop further than the Levo for descending. Having the saddle tilt from a comfortable XC position to a tilted back DH position is a mini revelation for me.

I think the Kenevo and Levo 'tilt' is quite similar stroke for stroke, but then the Kenevo drops further down and tilts out of the way.

Alternatively, read what Dax said as he's explained it better than my drivel. I need coffee :coffee:

Last edited:

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I should have indicated I am in a somewhat peculiar situation.
I have no quadriceps in my left leg; so I can't stand on the pedals. I must sit on any bike all the time.
So really now it's the Levo for me; just waiting for the 2019 models (though it appears there probably will be no change compared with 2018).

Maybe the dropper posts for the Kenevo and Levo are interchangeable?

Ouch! That does make sense, next time I'm out I'll try descending with the saddle fully down and see how the angle feels.

As above the kenevo is a 34mm seat post, the levo is 31. However there are a few other manufacturers that make droppers that fit, rockshox reverb and ks lev for starters.

You might have just answered the kenevo vs levo question for yourself thou! Although if I had to sit down everywhere, I would defo take the kenevo because it's plusher and will soak up the bumps better.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Sophie 777 Its easy enough for a shop to swap the dropper post for you at point of purchase.

Have you got a good local shop where you can try the bikes, and other bikes? I think you should start a new thread whereby we can help you get the right info - i.e where you can list out the type of riding you want to do, all the other info and we can help with answers in one place rather than spread over different threads. If you are not sure how too tart a thread i will do it for you, and i think this will be super helpful in helping you make a decision

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Sophie 777 Its easy enough for a shop to swap the dropper post for you at point of purchase.
Although if I had to sit down everywhere, I would defo take the kenevo because it's plusher and will soak up the bumps better.
However there are a few other manufacturers that make droppers that fit, rockshox reverb and ks lev for starters.
We put in a 31.6 with a shim but xfusion and a few others do 34.9

Well back to the Kenevo vs Levo quandary :)

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Sophie, not being able to stand up you want / need a bike that absorbs everything as good as possible and the Kenevo is doing exactly that. Just switch the dropper with another one and you have your perfect bike.
Thanks, I think you're probably right.
I am just waiting to see the Levo 2019 - if it's the same as the Levo 2018 - I think I will as you suggest choose the Kenevo.:)

Last edited:

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
And what about a fat bike? There is already too much Specialized in this forum and with the big tires there is one more layer of cushioning! :)
I actually have a fat bike (non-electric, 4.8 inch tires) - you are right, the cushioning is very good. Except with power in 1 leg only, it's very hard to pedal, even on level ground.
Riding against the wind, for me often walking would be faster.
I thought about a fat e-bike - fewer companies seem to be making them, especially fat e-bikes that are full-suspension (but maybe fat e-bikes don't need full-suspension - but I think full-suspension would be more fun).

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
have a look here and scroll to the yellow monster called MAXX Huraxdax EL. :)
That is a super interesting bike! I wish though it was available from a local bike shop.
I am a bit uncomfortable ordering a bike online, especially from overseas (I'm in Canada).
In any case, I am not sure if the MAXX would really have any advantages over a Kenevo, even with the fat/4.8 inch tires on the MAXX.
Based on my experience of how hard it is to pedal my fat bike - I suspect the battery on the MAXX would deplete much more quickly than the Kenevo.
I think the smaller tires on the Kenevo would give it better range; also the suspension I think on the Kenevo is better (which would compensate for the fatter tires on the MAXX).
But what do I know....

Finally, I already have a fat bike - I think I want something different.

Last edited:

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
That is a super interesting bike! I wish though it was available from a local bike shop.
I am a bit uncomfortable ordering a bike online, especially from overseas (I'm in Canada).

Full ack, wouldn't order a bike as well without having a dealer / mech in my area. Also it's not really an alternative for a Kenevo, it's something very different to ride - but you know that already when you own a fatbike.

Yesterday i found this review of a Kenevo, which was done by a german Levo rider, he's a bit older, average skillset, just enjoying trails, not "shredding it" hard. Hope youtube is translating that good enough so you'll understand. He's all like "if you don't own a fullface helmet and protection gear, the Kenevo is the wrong bike for you". He had a very good time riding uphill, but on the trail and downhill he only used 60% of the forks suspension (with sag set right) - so the bike felt too rigid for him. He's definitely not the type of rider the Kenevo needs to perform good on the downhills (he's also stating that himself).

Just wanted to mention that, cause it very depends on your riding style. If you don't use a big percentage of the suspension 90% of your time, you would probably be better pleased with a Levo and still can ride the steepest downhills, just not as fast like on the Kenevo.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles