Levo Gen 2 Heavy Landing / Bent wheel

MaxyP

May 5, 2020
Wales
“One more” run ended up in carnage....did a jump landed front heavy, wheel buckled, fork bottomed sending me into a tree at speed head first.
Fortunately my Bell dh/ forcefield armour minimised the impact although I did see a couple of purple elephants.

Anyway I will need a new set of wheels......what dt Swiss would I need for the Levo comp?

How much should it cost to get the wheel straightened?

Thx
Maxy

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
How much should it cost to get the wheel straightened?
wheel trueing prices vary from shop to shop but budget around £15-£30.
Any decent wheelbuilder will be able to tell you when they see the wheel but if you've actually bent the Alloy rim, flat spotted or dented it. You'll need a new rim. A rim swap just involves undoing all the spoke nipples, removing the damaged rim and lacing a new rim to your original spokes followed by tensioning and trueing. This is more time consuming than building or trueing a wheel so labour costs may be slightly more.
a new decent quality rim can cost anything from £30-100 depending on what you choose.
You don't need to go for DT rims. They are good quality but pricy for the higher spec models.
Pretty much any rim with a similar ERD (effective rim diameter - meaning diameter from spoke eyelet seat to spoke eyelet seat) and the same spoke count can be re-built onto your original spokes.

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Good stuff from Gary IMHO (other opinions are available). To swap a rim, I used to loosen all the spokes, zip tie the new rim to the old and transfer the spokes one at a time, with new nipples. Best guide to wheel building I've found is

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I have a front Roval wheel for sale, ive gone to Hope after bending the rear one. Off a 2020 levo comp, 6 month old. VGC. £80

Last edited:

MaxyP

May 5, 2020
Wales
OK Ive been told by the LBS that my wheel is NOT salvageable......

sold to look at replacement/ upgrade, please thro your 50p worth in on what you'd recommend...

Thx
Maxy

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
You know you want this one!!

image.jpg

MaxyP

May 5, 2020
Wales
I'm looking to replace wheels......BUT the sheer range of Hope/ DT swiss is mega.......really would appreciate some help hear as I'm currently bike less:(

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
OK Ive been told by the LBS that my wheel is NOT salvageable......

sold to look at replacement/ upgrade, please thro your 50p worth in on what you'd recommend...

Thx
Maxy
I accept the shop's advice, but I'd also try to salvage it. Nothing to lose and you can learn a lot about wheel building and may even get a spare wheel. Remember the shop, and this is not a criticism, is possibly unwilling to guarantee/risk it's reputation on this in addition to the time wasted if it doesn't work. I've managed to rescue a wheel that was taco'd, by loosening all the spokes, placing the rim against a wall/floor and pressing hard at 3 and 9 o'clock to straighten it and then tensioned and trued. Of course the customer and supplier were both me, so only my time at risk. If you fancy a go, have a look at this
You could also replace the rim.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles