Levo Gen 2 Turbo Levo - Bent Rotors

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I have gone through 3 to 4 bent rotors now since I have had my Turbo Levo 2020. The rate of failure is increasing. Are E Bike specific rotors actually required ? I've been replacing them with regular ones

EbikeTom

Sep 23, 2018
Annecy, France
I’ve had similar problems with the Shimano XT Icetec RT86 rotors, I swapped out to basic steel rotors RT76, and so far no issues.

What brakes are they?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
My OEM SRAM 200 mm rotors ('19 Turbo Levo) would regularly warp from heat, but I've not had any warpage since switching to 220 mm Maguras. I switched because I had to straighten the SRAM rotors and scuff the pads about every 2 weeks.

Before anybody slams my riding technique, I share my regular ride with walkers along with their dogs and kids (Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, California). Nearly every ride includes having to slow from 25-ish MPH to 5-ish on steep downhills at least once in order to safely pass walkers. My SRAM Codes would be howling hot by the bottom of the ride. The Magura MT7 / MDR-P combo never makes a peep and has required no maintenance other than pad changes.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I’ve got a 2018 Kenevo and have never had a problem with rotors. I changed front rotor for a SRAM 220mm one which is a bit thicker. I often do descents between 500 & 1000m but don’t weigh much. I wonder if rotors are being damaged by accident - in a bike rack or in transport?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I wonder if rotors are being damaged by accident - in a bike rack or in transport?
Crashes and transportation are probably responsible for some bent rotors, but I ride to my local trail (I don't transport the bike) and I rarely crashed back when I had all the trouble with SRAM rotors. The lack of crashes was not because I was skillful! It was because I wasn't riding features such as rock gardens, jumps, drops, or big roots back then. My SRAM rotors were warping due to heat. See post #5.

rodomotion

Sep 3, 2019
Chile
same setup, upgrade tue guide's with shimano zee. the rear brake rotors suffers a lot with the heat. right now mine's slightly bend, I can barely hear it when I'm riding uphill, but when it's hot it rubs a lot. just bend it back with an adjustable wrench.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
My OEM SRAM 200 mm rotors ('19 Turbo Levo) would regularly warp from heat, but I've not had any warpage since switching to 220 mm Maguras. I switched because I had to straighten the SRAM rotors and scuff the pads about every 2 weeks.

Before anybody slams my riding technique, I share my regular ride with walkers along with their dogs and kids (Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, California). Nearly every ride includes having to slow from 25-ish MPH to 5-ish on steep downhills at least once in order to safely pass walkers. My SRAM Codes would be howling hot by the bottom of the ride. The Magura MT7 / MDR-P combo never makes a peep and has required no maintenance other than pad changes.
The Car Track-Day technique might come in handy, if one can remember to use it in the heat (literally) of the moment.
After a heavy brake, don't stand there with the brakes on waiting for walkers etc to pass. keeping brakes on while the disc cools causes that part of stay hot so it warps.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I remember from when I used to do track days that guys would come in from a 20 minute session and apply their parking brake on seriously hot rotors.

My toy car.

I'm polite enough to slow for walkers, but not polite enough to stop! ?

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
I have gone through 3 to 4 bent rotors now since I have had my Turbo Levo 2020. The rate of failure is increasing. Are E Bike specific rotors actually required ? I've been replacing them with regular ones
Absolutely not...loads of ways you can bend a rotor on and off the trails...I bend mine somewhat on a regular basis on the rough terrain I ride...I just bend it back with a wee rotor bending tool, there are a couple of brands you can choose from depending on price.

download.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles