Bent my derailleur hanger ... 2019 Turbo Levo FSR :(

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I always buy a spare hanger when I buy a new bike (usually haggle it in for free) and take it with me in my pack so a ding doesn’t stop a ride. You can buy hanger measuring tools as Phil has mentioned but good ones are expensive and tricky to use accurately.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the replies!
I have realigned it as close as I could and it shifts as well as before. However, like Benson, I want to get another. I guess a trip to my LBS is in store for me.
I wish parts like these were available direct from Specialized instead of having to wait for the aftermarket to supply them.

Tim

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I always buy a spare hanger when I buy a new bike (usually haggle it in for free) and take it with me in my pack so a ding doesn’t stop a ride. You can buy hanger measuring tools as Phil has mentioned but good ones are expensive and tricky to use accurately.
I bought the Parktool mech-hanger alignment tool (it's not a measuring tool, it's basically a big lever). Easy to use, although the one I bought from CRC had a piece missing. I rang them up and got them to check, and every one in stock had the same piece missing! Got one from elsewhere. It worked a treat and was dead easy to use. Instead of going for "near enough", I spent an extra few mins getting it "spot on" and the shifting problems disappeared.

I had been suffering from a range of odd shifting problems on my Eagle 12-speed that I could not fix. Gave up and took it to the LBS who said it was mech-hanger alignment. This happened a few times so I bought my own tool. I used it once (to get it spot on) and I've never had to use it since!

When I had 7, 9 and 10 speed I never had problems requiring mech-hanger alignment. But I reckon the smaller distances between cogs on 12-speed need more accurate shifting and placement, so I believe that small alignment discrepancies that previously were acceptable now are not.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
With tolerances so tight, I bought a hanger tool a few bikes ago. I've always had a spare hanger on hand, and when I really bend one, I hammer it flat again. Once significantly bent, and bent back, the AL is weaker and softer, but still works fine. I'd rather snap it off than wreck a $$$ R Der, or $$$$ swingarm anyway. Big cassettes and long der cages means you hit things easier these days too

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I've purchased a hanger alignment tool but also removed my hanger to find it has SANDWICH HANGER S172600001 written inside.

That takes me to the PLIO D741 that fat&grey referenced (thanks fat&grey) and also to a Wheels Manufacturing 323.

I'll fine tune my alignment and also order a backup hanger to include in my kit bag.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Tim

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
I am new to this problem. I must have bashed mine a couple of weeks ago. Now, I come out of adjustment in the middle gears after only 2-3 rides. LBS just serviced and I’m hoping to be back to normal, but thanks for the info. I’m going to pick up a spare and make sure I can install on the trail. Thanks for the wisdom emtb forumers!

Koo

Nov 11, 2018
Finland
I bent my hanger, fixed it in the bike shop and bought a spare about 25€ If I managed to break one while riding.

-K

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I am new to this problem. I must have bashed mine a couple of weeks ago. Now, I come out of adjustment in the middle gears after only 2-3 rides. LBS just serviced and I’m hoping to be back to normal, but thanks for the info. I’m going to pick up a spare and make sure I can install on the trail. Thanks for the wisdom emtb forumers!
Not all alignment problems can be fixed by changing the mech hanger; there might be a small twist or bend in the mech arm. It was probably the mech that received the bang that subsequently bent the mech arm, so it could be expected that the mech had suffered some damage at the same time. :(

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Again like @Zimmerframe I bought the parktool mech alignment tool, as my shifting was all over the place. Glad I did as the mech hanger was bent all over the place when I tested it. Just search the "S17260000" code and you'll get plent of option to buy the original Spesch one for around £11, not sure what so special about the PLIO D741 that it's so expensive (is it more solid than the original?)

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
(gotta love the world of mech hangers, gazillions of small variations on what's basically a metal tab with a couple of threaded holes).

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I'll drop PILO a mail. (Hangers are meant to not be solid).​

Response from gearmechhanger.com is that theirs are CNC'd whereas the OEM parts are cast (cheaper but softer). CNC are stiffer for better shifting as they don't flex but still designed to break when subject to forces outside the acceptable tolerance range.

There you go - you pays your money and takes your choice. If it works it's not much, for improved shifting on a £X,000 bike.

AWB

Jul 9, 2020
Germany
Rear mechs have a M10 x 1 thread. So to check whether a derailleur hanger is bent, if ever so slightly, all you have to do is take a classic rear wheel with a threaded hub axle and screw it in place of the rear mech. You will instantly notice if there is an alignment issue.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
checking in with thread as I have the same problem, will order this hanger and update.

if it saves me schlepping to the dealer and back I'm very happy! thx all, see you in a few days.

update as promised - the PILO hanger arrived the day after being ordered, fitted in moments and the bike now shifts perfectly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles