Fox Float DPS Performance Shock
Fox Float 36 Rhythm

Rider = 270 lbs.

Current Settings

Shock = 35% sag, 295 psi (maxed), no volume spacers, 3 clicks from low rebound,
Fork = 25% sag, 107 psi, 5 clicks from low rebound

Problems

Shock = appears to bottom out and mediocre small bump performance
Fork = terrible small bump performance. The rattle was so bad, I almost lost my grip.

Possible Solutions?

Shock = I have been looking at adding volume spacers to stop the bottom out and maybe a cascade link.
Fork = increase rebound? No clue.

Or lose about 50 lbs LOL.

Thoughts?

ccwilli3

Jun 2, 2020
Ladera Ranch, CA - USA
Big guy checking in here, about your size. Have Fox36 fork too - how is your compression set? At that air spring pressure, you need very little compression (Im backed all of the way out) and then add in Rebound to control that spring that is now 'heavier' and will need the rebound spring control.

On the shock, hard to say, seems like you need spacers so it helps the pressure prop up the shock at the bottom since you're blowing through travel.

Are you getting pedal strikes?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Even at 220 lbs I've added 2 tokens the my fox 36 rythms , I run sag at 25% for comfort ( set up on the pegs) , compression fully open and as little rebound as I can tolerate. When you are adding the tokens, check how much grease is in that leg and remove any excess - sometimes the globs of gunk get sticky.

In the rear I'm pnly just starting to play with tokens, but again you need tokens if you are heavy - think of them as the poor mans stiffer spring / cascade link

ps I ride a levo sl , but have the fox 36 x 160's from a levo.

crazyethnic

Sep 26, 2018
Australia Victoria
Been in the same boat, forks 5 tokens compression wide open the air go down to 100psi at you pressure speed rebound up and the rear don't waste your time go coil 650 pound spring the main problem lie's in the Levo linkage it has to run a fair bit of sage and that's not good for big fella's you will smash through the travel and too much air will make for a harsh ride.

drm31078

Dec 31, 2020
Charlotte, NC USA
My fork compression is full open. I only have the three settings open, medium, firm. I am not bottoming out the fork just rattling my hands to death. Maybe I should close the rebound completely.

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
Unfortunately because of the suspension design, heavy people are limited on this bike. I'm running a Fox X2 air shock and I'm at the max pressure of 300psi. At 300 psi, I'm slightly over 30% and I'm at 220lbs, but running a Cascade link. Cascade link increases the stock progression some, but at the same time you need to add more air to be at 30%. Without the Cascade link, I'd have less air in the shock. I was running a coil, but bottoming too hard with the Cascade link, as Cascade recommended going up spring rate 100lbs. Unfortunately, I was already at max spring rate 625lbs coil. I had to go air to get back sag and bottom out control.

Bike rides amazing with the Cascade link and Fox X2 rear shock, with max volume spacers installed (2). You at 270lbs, the Cascade link would require you to add more air and you are already at max air. Coil shock, it would be hard to find a spring rate high enough for your weight and there might not be one available for a 50 to 60mm stroke shock. Your other option would be looking into a custom tuned shock.

drm31078

Dec 31, 2020
Charlotte, NC USA
Unfortunately because of the suspension design, heavy people are limited on this bike. I'm running a Fox X2 air shock and I'm at the max pressure of 300psi. At 300 psi, I'm slightly over 30% and I'm at 220lbs, but running a Cascade link. Cascade link increases the stock progression some, but at the same time you need to add more air to be at 30%. Without the Cascade link, I'd have less air in the shock. I was running a coil, but bottoming too hard with the Cascade link, as Cascade recommended going up spring rate 100lbs. Unfortunately, I was already at max spring rate 625lbs coil. I had to go air to get back sag and bottom out control.

Bike rides amazing with the Cascade link and Fox X2 rear shock, with max volume spacers installed (2). You at 270lbs, the Cascade link would require you to add more air and you are already at max air. Coil shock, it would be hard to find a spring rate high enough for your weight and there might not be one available for a 50 to 60mm stroke shock. Your other option would be looking into a custom tuned shock.

I contacted fox to confirm that the 2021 dps performance shock can go up to 350psi.

FLOAT DPS EVOL and FLOAT DPX2 EVOL shocks have a maximum pressure of 350psi (24.1 bar)

I am going to increase pressure to see if I can get correct sag and not bottom out. If I still bottom out I will add a volume spacer. If that doesn’t work then cascade sounds like it will solve the problem.

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
I contacted fox to confirm that the 2021 dps performance shock can go up to 350psi.

FLOAT DPS EVOL and FLOAT DPX2 EVOL shocks have a maximum pressure of 350psi (24.1 bar)

I am going to increase pressure to see if I can get correct sag and not bottom out. If I still bottom out I will add a volume spacer. If that doesn’t work then cascade sounds like it will solve the problem.

Contact Cascade 1st to make sure you won’t need to add too much more air than 350psi. If you are good, then the Cascade link is awesome. Plus bonus if you want more travel, remove the 2.5mm spacer in your shock to increase shock stroke to 55mm. Then if you are running in the slack mode, make sure the rear tire doesn’t contact anything. If it does, then you’ll need to ride in the high mode.

I went to a 27.5 rear wheel so I don’t have to worry about rear tire hitting frame. But I also run my bike in the high setting. Good luck

drm31078

Dec 31, 2020
Charlotte, NC USA
Contact Cascade 1st to make sure you won’t need to add too much more air than 350psi. If you are good, then the Cascade link is awesome. Plus bonus if you want more travel, remove the 2.5mm spacer in your shock to increase shock stroke to 55mm. Then if you are running in the slack mode, make sure the rear tire doesn’t contact anything. If it does, then you’ll need to ride in the high mode.

I went to a 27.5 rear wheel so I don’t have to worry about rear tire hitting frame. But I also run my bike in the high setting. Good luck

I am in discussions with cascade. Appears I need 10% additional pressure once i install the cascade. Have to see if I can get to 30% sag now that I know I can go to 350psi.

With the stock 160 fork it actually came from the factory in high mode. I assume the fork made the BB lower so they put it in high.

Mullet is definitely in my future.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
Looked into the cascade link and talked with them as I run the Float X2 and its max PSI is 300 and at 230 that only gets me about 32% sag and I bottom out more than I should.

"Great question - the Cascade Components link is effective because it uses a slightly higher initial leverage rate than the stock link. This higher leverage ratio also requires a higher initial spring rate. Most riders find that when they install one of our links, they need to increase their shock air pressure by about 10%. If you are currently at 300PSI on the shock with the stock link, our link may not be the best choice for your bike as you would not be able to achieve 30% sag - you would likely be closer to 35% or so. I wouldn't recommend the link because riding the bike with that much sag could lead to the bike feeling wallowy in the travel and lead to a bike that rides worse overall."

Spoke with Fox techs and the man Jordie with Fox. He recommended higher HSC to help with the bottom out and said the shock is designed with a heavy bottom out bumper so bottom outs are handled better.

I have been doing well with the following setup

Stats, 6'2 230lbs on a XL Levo

I run a Fox 38 at 114 PSI, 4 tokens, 6 LSR, 4 HSR, 8 LSC, 4 HSC.
Float X, 300PSI, 3 tokens, LSR 6, HSR 3, LSC 7, HSC 2.

Ymersmoelf

Oct 19, 2019
Denmark

Interesting. Where is the spacer in the shock?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles