Has anyone tried a 180mm fork on there Altitude?

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
I have a 2022 A30 coil Altitude and I am not fond of the Rockshox Dominion forks. They are heavy and lack the performance of a Zeb or Fox 38. I found a great deal on a Manitou Mezzer Expert 180mm I couldn't pass up. Has any of you guys/gals tried a 180mm fork on you Altitude? Rockey mountain said it should work great and also help with pedal strikes. I have a medium that came with the 165mm crank arms but pedal strikes are a pain still so I am hopeful that it helps like they say...

cody311

Jan 5, 2022
Colorado
I felt the Domain to be pretty meh as well, really poor at fast repetitive hits and packs up quickly. Found a ZEB 2.1 charger and on Facebook and installed that in the Domain, made the fork way more compliant. The extra 10mm of travel is pretty negligible. Might help with BB height in the lower positions if you're pedal striking though.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
I felt the Domain to be pretty meh as well, really poor at fast repetitive hits and packs up quickly. Found a ZEB 2.1 charger and on Facebook and installed that in the Domain, made the fork way more compliant. The extra 10mm of travel is pretty negligible. Might help with BB height in the lower positions if you're pedal striking though.
I considered getting a 2.1 charger set up. I'm sure it made a world of difference. I would have went that route but I really wanted to shave a little wight off the front end. The Manitou Mezzer is right around 1 pound lighter. I figured it could use the wight savings. I still haven't installed the Mezzer's. I am gonna put helicopter tape on them to protect the lowers and my girlfriend's Marin Alpine trail e1 need some serious love.
Thank you for your reply. Good information 👍🏽

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
I'm in position 3 right now. Today was the first day I actually rode it. It did great but most any fork would feel better than a stock Domain lol. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
If it helps with strikes I'm anxious to hear your results!

Doe to my frankenfork Foxochi (Z1 CSU Coil with Fox 36 lowers and damper) I am limited to 170 however I removed the shock spacer and run 170 rear vs 165.

I rode a slayer with 190 dual crowns and it was awesome at the bike park however RM said the A30 and dual crown were a no go.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
If it helps with strikes I'm anxious to hear your results!

Doe to my frankenfork Foxochi (Z1 CSU Coil with Fox 36 lowers and damper) I am limited to 170 however I removed the shock spacer and run 170 rear vs 165.

I rode a slayer with 190 dual crowns and it was awesome at the bike park however RM said the A30 and dual crown were a no go.
It along with a 2.5wt Maxxis Agressor on the rear has helped quite a bit. I also put the shock in position 4. My medium came with 165mm cranks and that's also a plus.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles