2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude won’t switch on

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
Hi All

Just got back to the bike today ready for a ride and it won’t turn on. I washed very gently two days ago, no water direct on the Iwoc, dried the bike with compressed air at the end and today battery fully charged but the Iwoc won’t turn on.
So annoying I have to bring it back to the dealer

:(

Michele

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I have a 2021 Instinct Powerplay myself but haven’t had this problem yet. I don’t know if this is the recommended approach but have you tried taking off the motor cover and physically unplugging power cable then plug back after 10-20 secs ? Also check if both power and iwoc connectors are dry.

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
I have a 2021 Instinct Powerplay myself but haven’t had this problem yet. I don’t know if this is the recommended approach but have you tried taking off the motor cover and physically unplugging power cable then plug back after 10-20 secs ? Also check if both power and iwoc connectors are dry.
Hi thbo

yep I tried to disconnect/dry Iwoc and power and it didn't make any change. The day after when ready to go to the dealer just before dropping the bike I tried it and it switched on.
I reckon it was me after washing the bike drying it with compressed air and forcing the water to get into electrical somewhere. Since then I only dry it with a rag....no more compressed air

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
You probably need to head to your dealer to get a new Iwoc, I'm on my third. My buddy got a new A70 Instinct a couple of weeks ago, his Iwoc needed to be replaced after his first ride.

Common

Apr 5, 2021
SVK
I had this experience a week ago. I was pedalling really hard on ludicrous mode (100%) for about 8-9 minutes. I mean I was litterally hitting the floor with about 180-185 bpm (went for "ebike" KOM on one uphill), right after that I did downhill for about 5-6 minutes (so I assume motor cooled down significantly). Then I started pedal back up to the hill but only with easy pace, maybe after 2 minutes motor shut off - there was no way how to turn it on there in the "wilderness", only after I came back home and put it on charger iwoc turned on. Battery was not empty for sure (about 60% probably).

After charging for a while I did second ride to see if the issue occurs again. Did crazy ludicrous ride. No issues whatsoever. Now, can somebody explain me what this was? Has anyone experienced this?

Additional info: Altitude PP C70 2021 (almost 1k km rode), Overtimepack not attached

Last edited:

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
Strange. Since that issue with the compressed air the bike has been flawless. I have almost 2000 kms on the clock and I only ride in Turbo, fast....I'm always around 180 bpm with my heart!

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I had this experience a week ago. I was pedalling really hard on ludicrous mode (100%) for about 8-9 minutes. I mean I was litterally hitting the floor with about 180-185 bpm (went for "ebike" KOM on one uphill), right after that I did downhill for about 5-6 minutes (so I assume motor cooled down significantly). Then I started pedal back up to the hill but only with easy pace, maybe after 2 minutes motor shut off - there was no way how to turn it on there in the "wilderness", only after I came back home and put it on charger iwoc turned on. Battery was not empty for sure (about 60% probably).

After charging for a while I did second ride to see if the issue occurs again. Did crazy ludicrous ride. No issues whatsoever. Now, can somebody explain me what this was? Has anyone experienced this?

Additional info: Altitude PP C70 2021 (almost 1k km rode), Overtimepack not attached

And the error log on ebikemotion.com/app doesnt have an entry about that time?

Oct 22, 2020
California
@Common same thing happened to me (twice) on my 2020 Instinct BC. I think, the bike pulls a "Karen" and bitches at you when you smash on it. Issue only happened during the first 3 months. Since then, I've done several major upgrades (like wireless shifter, MTT, coil rear shock, 36T chainring, overtime pack) and it hasn't resurfaced. Going on 6+ months now and still running like a champ.

IMG_20210622_141702.jpg

Oct 22, 2020
California
@Miscel76 yup the chainring is just normal 104 bcd. i've been using the wolftooth drop-stop st 36 tooth chainring for several months now without issues. top speed is def faster. it also helps that i increased the amperage to 22amps using the MTT. be careful tho because it'll suck up a lot of battery.

btw, you have to modify the cover just slightly to make the 36t chainring fit. search the forums for my post on what to cut on the cover.

1624161918383(1).jpg

Last edited:

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
Yep I've tried the 22Amp and went back to stock 20Amp, too much battery consumption. I can't find that chainring in Drop Stop St, I can see is available Drop Stop only.....what "ST" stands for?

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
Also from the picture I've noticed that you by-passed the small jockey wheels after the chainring, is that alright? I wouldn't mind to by-pass mine if I can

Oct 22, 2020
California
@Miscel76 you have to by pass the lower chain guide to use the 36t chairing. If you want to have the lower chain guide, replace the small jockey wheel with a regular skateboard bearing. the inner diameter and thickness of the skateboard bearing fits the black screw perfectly. but honestly, you don't need the lower chain guide. the wolftooth chainring prevents the chain from coming off. there are youtube videos on the benefits of drop-stop chainring.

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
@Miscel76 you have to by pass the lower chain guide to use the 36t chairing. If you want to have the lower chain guide, replace the small jockey wheel with a regular skateboard bearing. the inner diameter and thickness of the skateboard bearing fits the black screw perfectly. but honestly, you don't need the lower chain guide. the wolftooth chainring prevents the chain from coming off. there are search youtube videos on the benefits of drop-stop chainring.

So even under heavy pressure on the pedals in Ludicrous mode the chain won't slip? what about the chain, do I need to shorten it?

Oct 22, 2020
California
the chain length stays the same.

Yes, the chain doesn't come off. I leave my Instinct BC in power level 6 for my normal riding and increase to power level 7 or 8 all the time. no issues with shifting or the chain coming off the chainring.

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
@Miscel76 i forgot had i vid clip of me riding up a small flight of stairs and dropping off ledges on the Instinct BC. The chain never came off (skip to 0:95).

Cool Mate!
I bought the chainring👍 did you anyway worked out which size should be the bearing in case you wanna put the lower chain guide on? I really ride gnarly stuff at speed and it might be the case that the chain might skip teeth (not coming off) so with the lower chain guide it should be ok

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles