Mullet setup on the 2022 Altitude Powerplay

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I see there are other threads talking about a mullet setup, but thought I'd create a separate one specifically for the 2022 Altitude Powerplay.

Some background: My first ebike was a Decoy, and initially I was apprehensive about that big old 29 on the front, but grew to like it a lot. The Decoy is a mullet with 27.5 on the back. I still have this Decoy. Then I also got a Commencal Meta SX Power and that was a 27.5. I then did the mullet conversion and preferred that setup, but I'm going to revert this bike back to a 27.5 and then sell it.

I've spoken to a few different people and bike stores about converting the Altitude to a mullet. It's great this bike has the Ride-4 system as that allows the possibility to keep the geo of the bike very similar if using the steepest settings with a 27.5" back wheel. The general consensus from the bike stores ranges from "that will be amazing - just do it" to "the bike will be slightly slacker and the bottom bracket will be slightly lower, but should be fine. We've had people do it, and the majority of the people who do it stick with the mullet setup". I'm going to do it as well. I have a nice set of NOBL carbon wheels that I'll pull from the Meta.

The trails I ride are the BC North Shore mountains. I'm not really a double-black diamond rider (although I ride a few), but I tend to mainly ride the fairly slow and tight black tech/gnar trails.

What are others thoughts? I can totally see why people would want to keep the 29 setup, but it's nice to know the mullet setup isn't too crazy if people want to do it as well.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Of course you get more of a «mullet effect» by actually changing to a smaller rear wheel, but could you say there’s some «mulletability» built into the (New) Altitude by the two frame adjustment points? I guess I’m saying I still think I haven’t grasped all effects of actual mullets.

I mean I like the look of mullets but think about how comfortable it is to roll over stuff with a 29" at the back too.

Last edited:

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
Sounds good following you in here mate!…. Been interested to hearing news on altitude mullet set up!…. Been keen on purchasing the altitude.

Who knows, cascade components may foresee a market here…. yoke conversion kit 27.5 link - offering back the wizardry full range to the Ride -4 system - ha - bb…. yew!

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Sounds good following you in here mate!…. Been interested to hearing news on altitude mullet set up!…. Been keen on purchasing the altitude.

Who knows, cascade components may foresee a market here…. yoke conversion kit 27.5 link - offering back the wizardry full range to the Ride -4 system - ha - bb…. yew!
I have the mullet wheels and an upgraded shock. Just need the 30.9 AXS dropper to arrive in the store and I'll be good to go. Should be a week or so, but you never know with the supply chain issues right now. I can't wait to give that 108 nM motor a go!

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
Hey I had done this in the other thread. I reckon you need shorter cranks and thin pedals to make this work really well. The bike is super pedal strike prone with 170's!
You'd get away with it on fire roads, but I reckon it would be a dog on tight rocky rooty climbs.
The lack of overrun in the motor exacerbates the problem too.

As a side note, I've been very impressed with the bikes balanced nature. The high stack and high bars easily allow you to shift weight back. There's been only a handful of butt buzzes when doing real real steep stuff surprisingly.
I also wonder given the weight of the rig if a 275 would make much difference to how playful it is.

Definitely give it a go and let us know, modding bikes rules!

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Hey I had done this in the other thread. I reckon you need shorter cranks and thin pedals to make this work really well. The bike is super pedal strike prone with 170's!
You'd get away with it on fire roads, but I reckon it would be a dog on tight rocky rooty climbs.
The lack of overrun in the motor exacerbates the problem too.

As a side note, I've been very impressed with the bikes balanced nature. The high stack and high bars easily allow you to shift weight back. There's been only a handful of butt buzzes when doing real real steep stuff surprisingly.
I also wonder given the weight of the rig if a 275 would make much difference to how playful it is.

Definitely give it a go and let us know, modding bikes rules!
Cranks are 165mm on a small or medium. I may consider going to 155mm as I did on my Decoy. Even if the dropper post isn't in stock this week I think I'm still going to take the bike at the weekend and give it a go, and put the AXS on later when it's back in stock. Bike store seemed to believe that mullet would work well if the steepest settings are selected with the Ride-4 system. Said most who have tried it haven't gone back. Only one way to find out! :)

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
Cranks are 165mm on a small or medium. I may consider going to 155mm as I did on my Decoy. Even if the dropper post isn't in stock this week I think I'm still going to take the bike at the weekend and give it a go, and put the AXS on later when it's back in stock. Bike store seemed to believe that mullet would work well if the steepest settings are selected with the Ride-4 system. Said most who have tried it haven't gone back. Only one way to find out! :)
Hey leftside…. Have you thought on boosting the forks from 170mm to 180mm…. May marginally slacken out the Ride -4 selected steepest setting, adding a little more peddle clearance….

One question with the mullet set up changes…. had you notice stand over….. lowered?
keen to hear on your test results - thoughts - all in good time….

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Hey leftside…. Have you thought on boosting the forks from 170mm to 180mm…. May marginally slacken out the Ride -4 selected steepest setting, adding a little more peddle clearance….

One question with the mullet set up changes…. had you notice stand over….. lowered?
keen to hear on your test results - thoughts - all in good time….
The bike store said the 27.5" wheel will slacken the bike enough. I'm ok with 170mm forks. Hopefully will find out this weekend (y)

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Picking the bike up tomorrow afternoon. Ride Wrap, NOBL TR41 wheels and EXT E-Storia shock all installed. Will report back...

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
It's good. Rode a few sections that I tend to clip the bottom bracket/motor on the Meta and Decoy, but was fine on the Altitude. I did get a few more pedal strikes than usual tho, but that's probably because I ride with shorter cranks on the Meta and Decoy - will probably do the same with the Altitude. The bike absolutely flies up and downhill. Can't wait to get back out riding again. Now I just need to get that Meta sold.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
C35514E0-CF89-49B3-A00E-28A2E86BBF03.jpeg

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I'm going back to the 29 setup. I'm getting too many pedal strikes on some of my favorite chundery trails with the mullet setup. It was a fun experiment and I'm glad I did it, but I'm going back to the way the bike was intended.

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
I'm going back to the 29 setup. I'm getting too many pedal strikes on some of my favorite chundery trails with the mullet setup. It was a fun experiment and I'm glad I did it, but I'm going back to the way the bike was intended.
Hey leftside…. guessing you had set it in position 4 with 165mm cranks…. peddle strike frustration sure can dampen down the quality of a days ride….. l appreciate hearing back with your personal thoughts re the mullet set up…. you also have the excellent ext to dial in, ext stoira has been the best upgrade yet on my Norco vlt…. l had a rock smash through the motor casing causing bearings and what ever else to cease motor.
Not a lot of bike choices here in Oz. Maybe a giant or focus Sam.
cheers!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles