Has anyone bought the range extender for the 2020 Genius or Strike?

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Just wondering if anyone has bought one and can give feedback on how well it works, we can get the fitting kit here in Aus but not the battery at the moment.

sandyman44

Jun 29, 2020
UK
Just wondering if anyone has bought one and can give feedback on how well it works, we can get the fitting kit here in Aus but not the battery at the moment.

yes . bought with Genius eRide 910 Large.

There is a bike specific fitting part that is supplied by Scott . Its just a plastic plate to sit on top of the down tube, with screw thread holes in various places. These mate with holes (under 2x black stick on covers) in the top of the bikes down tube , and the bosch battery pack mounting brackets on its upper side.
I'm told by the bike shop this has to be the right size for the bike and is bike and frame-size specific. I've also been told that if your frame size is M or S, you cannot remove the REX battery once fitted. On the L, it removes just fine. The mounting kit itself, stays in place permanently. For me, being able to remove the battery was a necessity - need to be able to take batteries out to lift on car etc.

The rest of the kit is all bosch branded parts. there are upper (with integrated lock ) and lower brackets that hold the battery pack in place - these screw to the top of the scott-specific fitting plate. Various torx and allen screws, couple of which were wrong length which I found annoying (but I have many spares, so not an issue overall) . There's a Y cable wiring loom to splice two batteries in parallel into one motor input. It has no active components, its just a Y loom. And finally the battery pack, which is a completely standard bosch power pack 500.

I ordered the bike with the REX fitted, but the bike shop hit delivery issues with the REX parts due to covid so they shipped me the REX several weeks after the bike. I therefore fitted it myself - it wasn't too bad . I spent a lot of time RTFM and dry running it before taking the bike to bits, and waited for bad weather so I wouldn't feel like losing ride time whilst I had it in bits in the garage!
Was a bit nervous about dropping the motor out (never done it before on a bosch), hardest part of that was getting enough torque into a 40mm torx bolts to loosen it. Other fiddly bits getting the cable from the 2nd battery through the rubber cover at the base of the shock, and getting the excess cable of the Y loom tucked up into the base of the seat tube.

, I upgraded the display to Kiox as well, so I get % battery display for both batteries . In riding, it uses using both batteries in parallel, I am not aware of it pulling from one or the other , both batteries stay within one or two % of each other despite being different sizes (500 and 650), so I suspect its keeping them at same voltage level.
Its definitively not a case of using one to flat then using the other. Range extension is what you'd expect - I rode 45km the other day, really hammering it, lots of Emtb fast uphills to winch to the top then dropping down, used about 45% of the two. Had I been on a single pack I'd have been nervous by the end. handling wise I don't find any problem, I am a 6ft 95kg guy, in fact it carves nicely into berms with the low down weight.

games133

Apr 19, 2020
hartlepool
yes . bought with Genius eRide 910 Large.

There is a bike specific fitting part that is supplied by Scott . Its just a plastic plate to sit on top of the down tube, with screw thread holes in various places. These mate with holes (under 2x black stick on covers) in the top of the bikes down tube , and the bosch battery pack mounting brackets on its upper side.
I'm told by the bike shop this has to be the right size for the bike and is bike and frame-size specific. I've also been told that if your frame size is M or S, you cannot remove the REX battery once fitted. On the L, it removes just fine. The mounting kit itself, stays in place permanently. For me, being able to remove the battery was a necessity - need to be able to take batteries out to lift on car etc.

The rest of the kit is all bosch branded parts. there are upper (with integrated lock ) and lower brackets that hold the battery pack in place - these screw to the top of the scott-specific fitting plate. Various torx and allen screws, couple of which were wrong length which I found annoying (but I have many spares, so not an issue overall) . There's a Y cable wiring loom to splice two batteries in parallel into one motor input. It has no active components, its just a Y loom. And finally the battery pack, which is a completely standard bosch power pack 500.

I ordered the bike with the REX fitted, but the bike shop hit delivery issues with the REX parts due to covid so they shipped me the REX several weeks after the bike. I therefore fitted it myself - it wasn't too bad . I spent a lot of time RTFM and dry running it before taking the bike to bits, and waited for bad weather so I wouldn't feel like losing ride time whilst I had it in bits in the garage!
Was a bit nervous about dropping the motor out (never done it before on a bosch), hardest part of that was getting enough torque into a 40mm torx bolts to loosen it. Other fiddly bits getting the cable from the 2nd battery through the rubber cover at the base of the shock, and getting the excess cable of the Y loom tucked up into the base of the seat tube.

, I upgraded the display to Kiox as well, so I get % battery display for both batteries . In riding, it uses using both batteries in parallel, I am not aware of it pulling from one or the other , both batteries stay within one or two % of each other despite being different sizes (500 and 650), so I suspect its keeping them at same voltage level.
Its definitively not a case of using one to flat then using the other. Range extension is what you'd expect - I rode 45km the other day, really hammering it, lots of Emtb fast uphills to winch to the top then dropping down, used about 45% of the two. Had I been on a single pack I'd have been nervous by the end. handling wise I don't find any problem, I am a 6ft 95kg guy, in fact it carves nicely into berms with the low down weight.

Hi do you have the order numbers or part number by any chance would like one for mine. But finding lbs that know what to order ant happening

sandyman44

Jun 29, 2020
UK
what country are you in? I got mine from these guys , this is the Y cable, they will only sell it with a bike but you could ask : Bosch eBike Dual Battery Cable Kit. the rest of the kit was what looked like standard bosch powerpack mounting hardware. plus the scott frame-specific mounting plate - which had to come from scott, I was told it was shipped from switzerland.

a quick google found this E-MTB Battery Range Booster / Bracket (2020) which is the scott part. everything else is bosch.

Last edited:

games133

Apr 19, 2020
hartlepool
I've got the plate had it since I bought the bike the duel battery cable and then the bosch mounting kit and battery. Did you have have your bike reprogrammed for the duel battery? Can you run it with just one? was it easy to git? The plate look a bit odd got a cut out underneath I believe

sandyman44

Jun 29, 2020
UK
I've got the plate had it since I bought the bike the duel battery cable and then the bosch mounting kit and battery. Did you have have your bike reprogrammed for the duel battery? Can you run it with just one? was it easy to git? The plate look a bit odd got a cut out underneath I believe

the bike shop knew I was going to use dual battery as I bought the bike and the kit from them, so they may have programmed it in advance, I don't know. if it needs something, I'd assume that any bike shop that has the bosch dealer kit to do upgrades etc would be able to do it.
It'll run fine electrically without the second, the second is entirely optional. I expect it'd work electrically with only the second battery fitted as well but the bike would be odd as there'd be a big empty hole in the down tube letting mud / water into the wiring and motor area.

fitting was fine for a competent DIY'er + home bike mechanic, plus I've fitted a chinese ebike crank drive conversion kit before on another bike.

I did manage to get the bike shop to send me a photocopy of the dealers install manual for the double kit. if I can find it in the garage I'll take some photos (so the quality will degrade again, but it might still be legible).

the process was more or less:
mechanicals:
- unbolt the front of the motor and rotate it down out of the frame. 40 or 45mm torx head needed with lots of leverage for the bolts. 40NM torque wrench to put them back.
- check how the scott specific plate fits to your frame. you will need to remove the primary battery, and the lock , from the frame. in the frame you will find two rubber covers - one in the middle of the down tube, one behind the lock. take these covers off, there are then pre-machined holes, which will line up with threaded holes on the plate. thats how you bolt the plate to the bike - but don't bolt it on till next step.
- fit the bosch parts that hold the 2nd battery in place, to the scott plate. battery should then be able to to be clicked /locked on and off the plate.
- bolt the plate to the bike. mechanically the bike is now able to carry the 2nd battery.

electricals
- disconnect the cable coming from the motor into the back of the primary battery connector at the bottom of the down tube
- splice the Y cable in (part of the kit) and reconnect to the primary battery's down tube connection point.
- cut a slit in the rubber cover underneath the shock that has the lockout cable. run the other leg of the Y through this hole to the bottom of the secondary battery, and refit the rubber cover. This is the most fiddly bit of the whole thing. then you have a Y cable joining the outputs of both batteries to the motor input.
- stow the slack on the Y cable up into the base of the seat tube. careful not to foul the dropper cable. this is the 2nd most fiddly bit.

- put it all back together..

it took me a while as was being very careful, but in hindsight it wasn't that hard.

you could test whether your bike is software ready without doing any of the mechanicals, simply by splicing in the Y cable and making a temp connection to the 2nd battery on the floor. you'd only have to drop the motor to get to the back of the primary battery's connector to do that.

games133

Apr 19, 2020
hartlepool
Thanks for the write up. Sounds easy enough. I've changed my brakes to hope and fitted a speedbox to my bike so had the motor right out. And off the bike. I was originally going do this last year but I've had a injury to my neck so not been about get out on it.

I'm guessing I need these two parts plus a battery:-

sandyman44

Jun 29, 2020
UK
Thanks for the write up. Sounds easy enough. I've changed my brakes to hope and fitted a speedbox to my bike so had the motor right out. And off the bike. I was originally going do this last year but I've had a injury to my neck so not been about get out on it.

I'm guessing I need these two parts plus a battery:-

yes those look exactly like the parts that came in my kit. I'd not seen them sold separately before but I am sure that is it. the bosch battery mount kit bolts to the scott-specific frame plate, and then that frame plate bolts to the down tube, rather than bolting directly as shown in that link.

games133

Apr 19, 2020
hartlepool
I've purchased the the second link it comes with the y cable as well after reading description. Just need find a batter somepoint.

Is there any chance you getting some pictures somepoint. Just of the mount with and with out the battery. Just so I can see.

Fitting it will keep me busy one day for a hour or so.

sandyman44

Jun 29, 2020
UK
here's some pictures
InkedIMG_20210123_120850759_LI.jpg
IMG_20210123_120802746.jpg
IMG_20210123_120809372.jpg
IMG_20210123_120823656.jpg
IMG_20210123_120838683.jpg
IMG_20210123_120938539.jpg
IMG_20210123_120951237.jpg
IMG_20210123_120954443.jpg
IMG_20210123_121036925.jpg
InkedIMG_20210123_120850759_LI.jpg

games133

Apr 19, 2020
hartlepool
I've managed to do. Was pretty easy. Hiding the harness was another thing. Managed to shove it in the seat tube. Just need second battery lol. Would post pics but the pics I've took are to big.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles