Got my Heckler SL - First Ride and First Post

w00tw00t

Oct 22, 2023
San Jose, CA
Hey there, folks!

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the 2024 Hecker SL CC X0 AXS in Matte Silver that I snagged earlier this week and took out for a spin yesterday. So, a bit of background - I've been rolling on a Gen3 Levo full sized eMTB, so transitioning to this sleeker, lighter version was quite the change. Also, I'm your typical middle-aged mountain biker, nothing too fancy :)

TBH I'd gone into the bike shop intent on purchasing the full sized Heckler. Then when I saw they had a Heckler SL in my size and in the right config, I took it out for a test ride and was immediately sold. That said I was a bit nervous about 'downgrading' and wondered if I'd end up regretting a smaller motor/battery. Well... After my first ride, all of that changed!

I am seriously impressed. This bike feels like a feather compared to my Levo, and it handles like a dream. It practically dives into corners effortlessly, which was a pleasant surprise. Plus, it's stealthy quiet. In Rocket mode, if I really concentrate, I can kind of hear the motor, but honestly, I had to really focus to notice it. The stealthy eMTB vibe is a game-changer, and it brought back memories of my old non-e MTBs.

The SRAM transmission lives up to the hype. Shifting felt buttery smooth and quick, and though I didn't really go crazy trying to shift under too much load, it did shift well enough under load going uphill so that's great!

I took it out for a solid hour and a half, switching between normal and turbo modes, and still had juice left in the battery when I called it quits.

Now, here's the only hiccup - the dropper post. It came with the OneUp dropper, and it was a bit finicky on the way up sometimes, getting stuck.

All in all, I'm head over heels for this bike. Solid 9.5/10 in my book. Not sure why some folks are complaining, but for your average mountain biker like me, this one's a winner. Highly recommended! 🚵‍♂️👍

PS - Big thanks to Justin at Mike's Bike's in San Jose! Made the whole purchase experience really pleasant and easy!
IMG_0138.jpeg IMG_0139.jpeg

Last edited:

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Congrats on the new ride! Come join us in the Heckler SL thread ;)
Now, here's the only hiccup - the dropper post. It came with the OneUp dropper, and it was a bit finicky on the way up sometimes, getting stuck.
OneUp posts are great in my experience. Pop the seat off and check the air pressure, it may be low from the factory and/or after sitting around in the build kit for a while. I had to add about 100psi to mine. You can also spin the collar off (above the seat clamp) and put some suspension grease underneath.

w00tw00t

Oct 22, 2023
San Jose, CA
Congrats on the new ride! Come join us in the Heckler SL thread ;)

OneUp posts are great in my experience. Pop the seat off and check the air pressure, it may be low from the factory and/or after sitting around in the build kit for a while. I had to add about 100psi to mine. You can also spin the collar off (above the seat clamp) and put some suspension grease underneath.
Thanks! Great tip on the dropper air pressure, will check it out!

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
That’s a nice bike. I bought a Trek EXe and I love it for all the same reasons. I didn’t even want an Ebike, till the EXe came out. Make sure your seatpost clamp isn’t to tight. I had the same problem with mine and that was causing it. Hit me up if you ever come down to the Thousand Oaks area.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Hey there, folks!

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the 2024 Hecker SL CC X0 AXS in Matte Silver that I snagged earlier this week and took out for a spin yesterday. So, a bit of background - I've been rolling on a Gen3 Levo full sized eMTB, so transitioning to this sleeker, lighter version was quite the change. Also, I'm your typical middle-aged mountain biker, nothing too fancy :)

TBH I'd gone into the bike shop intent on purchasing the full sized Heckler. Then when I saw they had a Heckler SL in my size and in the right config, I took it out for a test ride and was immediately sold. That said I was a bit nervous about 'downgrading' and wondered if I'd end up regretting a smaller motor/battery. Well... After my first ride, all of that changed!

I am seriously impressed. This bike feels like a feather compared to my Levo, and it handles like a dream. It practically dives into corners effortlessly, which was a pleasant surprise. Plus, it's stealthy quiet. In Rocket mode, if I really concentrate, I can kind of hear the motor, but honestly, I had to really focus to notice it. The stealthy eMTB vibe is a game-changer, and it brought back memories of my old non-e MTBs.

The SRAM transmission lives up to the hype. Shifting felt buttery smooth and quick, and though I didn't really go crazy trying to shift under too much load, it did shift well enough under load going uphill so that's great!

I took it out for a solid hour and a half, switching between normal and turbo modes, and still had juice left in the battery when I called it quits.

All in all, I'm head over heels for this bike. Solid 9.5/10 in my book. Not sure why some folks are complaining, but for your average mountain biker like me, this one's a winner. Highly recommended! 🚵‍♂️👍

PS - Big thanks to Justin at Mike's Bike's in San Jose! Made the whole purchase experience really pleasant and easy!
View attachment 127446 View attachment 127447
Still can't polish a turd

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Err, ok. What’s that got to do with my question to Gav?

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
In my experience, far too many people just don't understand the lightweight e-bike thing. Heads firmly in the sand. Their loss, they're missing out on a great riding experience in my opinion.

I've got some full fat bikes as well as SLs, and for most rides I prefer the SLs, yet still some people don't believe me.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Definitely want to try a demo of this bike would run it as Enduro bike & change my Rise back to a trail bike

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
The collar may be a bit to tight. Take it out (the post), clean it and put some friction paste (usually for carbon parts) on it and tighten slightly under spec.
Yeah, One Up and PNW are both sensitive to seat post torque. Friction paste and minimum torque needed to hold in place works well. And yes, top off the pressure as well. Once set up, they're nice posts.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
In my experience, far too many people just don't understand the lightweight e-bike thing. Heads firmly in the sand. Their loss, they're missing out on a great riding experience in my opinion.

I've got some full fat bikes as well as SLs, and for most rides I prefer the SLs, yet still some people don't believe me.
My HSL is more an attention hog than a turd.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Must be one of the most (if not the) least e bike looking e bike. The SC plan of making all their frames fat suddenly seems like genius! If I had the dough (and was after an SL bike) I do think this would be top of the list.

NoMaas

Jul 28, 2023
Fruita, CO
The Heckler SL would have been a serious contender against my Relay had it been released in early summer. I immediately made the same AXS post upgrade you did, allows for a very clean front end.

IMG_4769.jpeg

Last edited:

w00tw00t

Oct 22, 2023
San Jose, CA
As I spend more time with my Hecker SL, one minor annoyance - The super thin wire that goes from the mode controller on the left side grip just dangles over the handlebar as it runs into the frame and looks super untidy.. Santa Cruz should haave spent some extra time thinking about possibly wiring it through (inside) the handlebar instead ... It looks really sloppy and ungainly.

I used some black electrical tape to tape it up.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
As I spend more time with my Hecker SL, one minor annoyance - The super thin wire that goes from the mode controller on the left side grip just dangles over the handlebar as it runs into the frame and looks super untidy.. Santa Cruz should haave spent some extra time thinking about possibly wiring it through (inside) the handlebar instead ... It looks really sloppy and ungainly.

I used some black electrical tape to tape it up.
This is the worst complaint I have on my 2023 Heckler. The wire begs to be pulled out of the socket whenever I lift the bike by the head tube. There has to be a better way for this. Wait, LEFT side grip... OK, I have that one tucked nicely. For me, it is the one on the right side, from the display to the head tube.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Does it not have the ebike bars where the cable goes in under the grip and comes out by the stem?

w00tw00t

Oct 22, 2023
San Jose, CA
This is the worst complaint I have on my 2023 Heckler. The wire begs to be pulled out of the socket whenever I lift the bike by the head tube. There has to be a better way for this. Wait, LEFT side grip... OK, I have that one tucked nicely. For me, it is the one on the right side, from the display to the head tube.
Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), the SL doesn't have the Shimano-style handlebar display thingabob..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles