Glove with some decent finger protection ?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The Recchie one looks nice .. gives good protection to hand and brakes ... but - the support arm is plastic :
The plastic arm could snap on impact or cause smallish injuries. I would think a more flexible arm which would not break and return after impact may be better. Less clutter in the cockpit too. An integrated protector (like you mentioned) into the grips might work.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
hand guards may be useful for deflecting passing shrubbery but can do more damage than good if you crash. My mates used a pair on his MX bike. He crashed and the hand guard rotated on the bars and took all the skin off the top of his hand.
I prefer work on the basis of trying to miss trees and taking one hand off the bars if it is going to try pruning a gorse bush!!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If it was a real problem I'd try cutting up an old inner tube and sticking to the back of your gloves. Use an old pair just in case; don't go bodging on your best pair!

I'd have a go myself, but I don't get bothered by Gorse much although I accept it is nasty stuff. Brambles are bad, where I ride most, but again not bad enough to prompt me to destroy a pair of gloves.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I prefer work on the basis of trying to miss trees and taking one hand off the bars if it is going to try pruning a gorse bush!!
A sound plan in theory .. but at least one trail is quick (ish) downhill (25kph average - so not fast) with encroaching gorse on both sides. So only 70cm wide if you're lucky ... it's a "go for it" and cringe and try not to decapitate yourself at the same time. Hands off will be certain death by gorse as you're already fighting to stop the thicker bits take the bars and that's ignoring the rocks/roots - terrain entertainment .. :)

I need to go do a dog walk with the hedge trimmer really !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If it was a real problem I'd try cutting up an old inner tube and sticking to the back of your gloves. Use an old pair just in case; don't go bodging on your best pair!

I'd have a go myself, but I don't get bothered by Gorse much although I accept it is nasty stuff. Brambles are bad, where I ride most, but again not bad enough to prompt me to destroy a pair of gloves.
LOL .... were you in my head .. I was just thinking that and though if I cut a loop of tube 5cm's long, you could just stick your fingers through it !

I was then thinking - tubes - punctures ... cut some old tyre strips and just glue them on the fingers !

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A sound plan in theory .. but at least one trail is quick (ish) downhill (25kph average - so not fast) with encroaching gorse on both sides. So only 70cm wide if you're lucky ... it's a "go for it" and cringe and try not to decapitate yourself at the same time. Hands off will be certain death by gorse as you're already fighting to stop the thicker bits take the bars and that's ignoring the rocks/roots - terrain entertainment .. :)

I need to go do a dog walk with the hedge trimmer really !
the grips are not the only place you can hold the bars!!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Do I leave them in manure 6 hours a day ?? :)

Tougher than tyres ? I don't think gorse is toxic, but it must have something in/on it which is reactionary as it hurts for hours afterwards.

Don't think the alpinestars look tough enough, I think it will be home grown or MX ...

Maybe the old one will know ? @dobbyhasfriends
I have tried some of the hardshell MX gloves but I dont like them and I dont find they keep the gorse needles out anyway, it gets in through the gaps.. so I just buy cheap gloves now and live with it..
you could try something like the knox: Knox Orsa OR3 MKII Tex Motorcycle Black Gloves were £89.99 | eBay

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
what about handle bar muffs made of goat skin? My kid had some for his scooter (not goat skin) for the winter because putting gloves on him was like herding cats.

s-l1600.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
what about handle bar muffs made of goat skin? My kid had some for his scooter (not goat skin) for the winter because putting gloves on him was like herding cats.

View attachment 55305
I did used to have some moto ones like that, but I gave them to a farmer for his quad .. think they might be a bit bulky and I don't want to add "width" or "drag" .. (which I know are two words that often come up when @BAMBAMODA is chatting up his ex-transvestite ?!??! :unsure: :eek::p)

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Have these on order (might be total crap)... I don't think they're perfect, but the plastic sections should deflect thorns .. For whatever reason they mainly seem to wedge in the skin only down the middle of the fingers - I take it they deflect off the rounder part of the finger.

Might 3D print some Titanium and carbon carbon hand guards this afternoon and see how they look ... :unsure: :ROFLMAO: .

View attachment 55282

You'll just need the rest of the outfit to complete the look ?

pg43Xbv.gif

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Looks like "Victory Circle" also make some hand guards. Aluminium bracket and plastic/poly-carbonate mix guard.

One nice thing is you can adjust the guard left and right over 3cm's.

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 08.47.52.png

Gets expensive with shipping though ..

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 08.45.46.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Acerbis also make the "X-Elite" handguard .. for "MTB and E-BIKE" :)

acer1.jpg

The "spoiler" section is optional and removable :

acer2.jpg

Look !! They fit on e-bikes and the e-bike version is no more expensive !!

acer3.jpg

Several pretty colours for all the family :

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 09.05.07.png

Cheaper than a lot of the other offerings, the downside being that the support arm seems to be made of Plastic ....

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Cheaper than a lot of the other offerings, the downside being that the support arm seems to be made of Plastic ....

ACERBIS plastic - no worries.

I had a set of acerbis hand guards on my ktm 640 adv , first time I'd risked riding without barkbusters. I'd expected them to shatter in the most inconvenient location but those things just kept coping with abuse for a decade.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just had another quick look at the AVS ones to compare. The plastic ones are about the same price as the ACERBIS ones so they're "financially" comparable..

Found a broken one of those too though ..

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 12.55.58.png

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
Tons if gorse here in pastyland - I feel your zimmerpain! My fave gloves for protection are muddy fox ones from sports direct. It seems like a neoprene and fabric material on the backs of the hand and upper fingers. Whatever, they very effective and are better than all the others ive tried. Yeah, I know.......... but I will take practical value over brand any day.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sam Hill is famous for only riding with han protectors, do no know if this had been mentioned yet:Nukeproof AVS Sam Hill Handguards - Protect your knuckles
Thanks @B1rdie. They've been mentioned and in the linked thread. They're one of the nicer solutions, looks like the plastic support ones snap.

Rode with my cheepo amazon armoured moto gloves today and they weren't bad once I'd got used to their extra clumpiness. Plan to take them Gorse bashing tomorrow to see how they fare. If no good, then it looks like hardguards, either the Alloy AVS or the Acerbis ones.

@Utah Rider - which snap on gloves ? There's so many I couldn't decide !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Muddyfox | Cycle Glove Adult | Accessories | SportsDirect.com mine are grey but same thing. Used to be able to regularly get them for about a fiver in the various sales but I've not seen them for less since covid. ?
£15 !!! Anyone would think they're for cycling !

My cheepo amazon ones were even cheaper €14 ! :)

I suspect they'll be too warm for summer use. But then my Fox dirtpaw's are too hot for summer. Will have to buy some new Defend D3O's or similar (decathlon were doing something which looked very similar but was always out of stock).

I guess one advantage of the hand guards will be summer time with lighter gloves !

edit : looks like that's a special offer !

Screenshot 2021-03-14 at 18.45.12.png

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
Thanks @B1rdie. They've been mentioned and in the linked thread. They're one of the nicer solutions, looks like the plastic support ones snap.

Rode with my cheepo amazon armoured moto gloves today and they weren't bad once I'd got used to their extra clumpiness. Plan to take them Gorse bashing tomorrow to see how they fare. If no good, then it looks like hardguards, either the Alloy AVS or the Acerbis ones.

@Utah Rider - which snap on gloves ? There's so many I couldn't decide !
Found them. They have the carbon knuckles. I've noticed that the rubber finger armor on cheaper gloves rips off over time. As you can see these snap-on gloves are tough. I estimate at least 2000 miles on these gloves. No tears or rips and the rubber on the fingers is still stitched on.

20210314_124838.jpg

20210314_125314.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
When you see a gorse bush coming up just go no handy past it. (y)
I'm already pretty good at crashing .. I don't need a hand .. or a no hand ... :)

Just tried the new cheepo gloves ... they actually work well - no gorse penetration or whipped knuckles. They're not as comfortable as the fox's , but they're also new so probably need to stretch in around the knuckles a bit. Temperature wise, they're similar. It went from 8 to 15 in just over an hour this morning. They were warm, but not sweaty crotch death.

Went back round and took a photo of one gorse section .. I guess you could just go slow, but I think that's illegal. It's also not technical on that trail - it's a "speed only" trail - so if you went slow you might literally die of boredom which would be even more dangerous.

gorse1.jpg

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
I'm already pretty good at crashing .. I don't need a hand .. or a no hand ... :)

Just tried the new cheepo gloves ... they actually work well - no gorse penetration or whipped knuckles. They're not as comfortable as the fox's , but they're also new so probably need to stretch in around the knuckles a bit. Temperature wise, they're similar. It went from 8 to 15 in just over an hour this morning. They were warm, but not sweaty crotch death.

Went back round and took a photo of one gorse section .. I guess you could just go slow, but I think that's illegal. It's also not technical on that trail - it's a "speed only" trail - so if you went slow you might literally die of boredom which would be even more dangerous.

View attachment 55794
Looks nasty.... but dry, which looks nice!! ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles