Glove with some decent finger protection ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My Fox's aren't cutting it. I keep getting gorse bush needles stuck in my fingers on the tight fast trails which are over grown (yes, one day I'll go and cut them).

Anyone recommend any gloves with decent finger armour ?

The Giro Remedy X2 looks to have some finger protection.

Or just switch up completely to something like the Fox Bomber.

I guess I could go all mad max and glue some old tyre strips to my fingers .....

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Take a look at Alpine Stars Aspen Pro. Decent protection from knocks but not sure how thorn resistant they would be. Gorse thorns will penetrate a tyre so not sure anything short of kevlar inserts is going to stop one having a go at your fingers. Grow tougher hands???

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Grow tougher hands???
Do I leave them in manure 6 hours a day ?? :)

Tougher than tyres ? I don't think gorse is toxic, but it must have something in/on it which is reactionary as it hurts for hours afterwards.

Don't think the alpinestars look tough enough, I think it will be home grown or MX ...

Maybe the old one will know ? @dobbyhasfriends

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Do I leave them in manure 6 hours a day ?? :)

Tougher than tyres ? I don't think gorse is toxic, but it must have something in/on it which is reactionary as it hurts for hours afterwards.

Don't think the alpinestars look tough enough, I think it will be home grown or MX ...

Maybe the old one will know ? @dobbyhasfriends
you urbanites know nothing!!! Pigs piss is what you need!! ? ? ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I did wonder about hand guards. They've come up a few times in the past.

Think I have some armoured moto gloves still at the other house so will have a look later.

Have ordered some light ish MX gloves to try for now. Will look into the guards more though.

D

Deleted member 7464

Try some motocross motorcycle gloves,I used to have some cracking gloves when I raced enduro.they had good finger protection but weren't clumsy feeling

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
problem with landscaping gloves is all the protection is aimed at the palm side like these or they are super bulky

Maybe you could try this but no idea if it would stick to your gloves.

DH/mx style gloves with plate are more for rock deflection and thorns will just travel till they catch and hook in.

IMO best bet is to buy some bulky gardens gloves and cannibalise the top of the glove, sewing on to existing gloves just where its needed.

Strange there's nothing on the market for thorn resistant top of hand/finger tip mtb/mx gloves.. business opportunity for someone!

Googling needlestick you can find these https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/hexarmor-hercules-nsr-3041-needle-stick-resistant-gloves.html

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Have these on order (might be total crap)... I don't think they're perfect, but the plastic sections should deflect thorns .. For whatever reason they mainly seem to wedge in the skin only down the middle of the fingers - I take it they deflect off the rounder part of the finger.

Might 3D print some Titanium and carbon carbon hand guards this afternoon and see how they look ... :unsure: :ROFLMAO: .

Screenshot 2021-03-10 at 13.03.32.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I don’t think I could summon up the courage to part with one of my digits. Nope.
It's ok , I'm getting pretty equal spread throughout all the fingers, so you can pic some other fingers you don't like as much ? There must be one ?? :)

Think of the positives, like being able to use those now empty glove fingers to conveniently carry some snacks ?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I was waiting for that “moment” in the loppers vid but it never happened. You guys are hard-core…very hard-core.
I like the deflector idea…but that’s just me.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The start of this video is something you can probably empathise with, @Zimmerframe

As Nathan says, not the most beautiful, but they do work.
It's always nice to know that capable people crash too !!!

I'm quite tempted by the aluminium AVS .. except the left one would mount where my controller is :(

It's a shame no one makes one where the bracket is intrinsic to the aluminium grip clamp. Though I guess you could argue that you'd need to change the whole thing when you change your grips, unless they did replacement grips just with the forward mount bracket and not the actual guards.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just spotted that Nathan's video had a link to Mr Wolf. Not only do these guards look the biz, they cost less than the gloves you're looking at. AND they'll match your dinner jacket!
They do look pretty snaz. They were also suggested by @Doomanic in the hand guard thread back in 2019. They must have been a lot cheaper then though as he's pretty tight ! :p:ROFLMAO:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles