Giant's SyncDrive Pro Transformation

Iskjone

Sep 21, 2019
Maine
From the internet grapevine I'm hearing that Giant is repacing it's SyncDrive Pro builder. They are replacing Yamaha with Shimano (EP8 Drive.) You can tell that from Web Pages that include 2022 Giant eBikes.

Iskjone

Sep 21, 2019
Maine
As far as I remember only new 2022 Roam E+ has EP8... rest e-bike has Syncdrive (Yamaha) motors for 2022.

It doesn't make sense for Giant to support two motor manufacturers. I suspect they will convert over time but it may take a few years. Giant does adapt to the market very quickly. The EP8 is a solid upgrade. Im curious to how it will affect pricing, The 2021 model already have taken a jump in price.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
It doesn't make sense for Giant to support two motor manufacturers. I suspect they will convert over time but it may take a few years. Giant does adapt to the market very quickly. The EP8 is a solid upgrade. Im curious to how it will affect pricing, The 2021 model already have taken a jump in price.

For inventory, it’s not ideal to have some variations of lines using SRAM and others with Shimano either but there again, there is less reliance on one manufacturer that way.

Having 2 suppliers on board means they can pivot quickly one way or another if there are any “issues”.

When you are the size of Giant, doesn’t make sense to have all your eggs in one basket…

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
C'mon it is no problem for company such as big as Giant (biggest bike company in the wrld) is, to cooperate even with Bosch/Shimano etc... why is that ? Because in e-bike technologoy in most cases You are buying the whole system like EP8. Giant cooperate a long time with Yamaha, and develop a new smaller electric motor for Reign 22', with own bigger battery, but addopting f.e. an EP8 with standard in tube battery 630Wh IMHO is not so complicated because it is a complete system that You can put into the frameset... so for 2022, it is only one bike with EP8, and we have to see what will be in 2023 but if new Syncdrive motor will be on the same level like current one with extra torque (85Nm) so there will be no reason to change system but remember it is a hard business, and maybe Giant in case of fast-growin e-bike market searching for other systems and Shimano is a perfect match for that, don't You think ?

Iskjone

Sep 21, 2019
Maine
For inventory, it’s not ideal to have some variations of lines using SRAM and others with Shimano either but there again, there is less reliance on one manufacturer that way.

Having 2 suppliers on board means they can pivot quickly one way or another if there are any “issues”.

When you are the size of Giant, doesn’t make sense to have all your eggs in one basket…
Perhaps but eliminating/reducing the number of models has been the path for companies such as GM and why Ford concentrates on their trucks and SUVs.. Looking at the selection of most everything we buy nowadays and that seems to be a poplular business model. As far as Giant goes the US doesn't get many of their high end bikes. It's all about driving down the cost .

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Looking at what Giant does with their components, dual sourcing is in their genes and would make sense long term.
My two cents :)

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Read it directtly from Giants web site

In Specs it says ep8

Sure, but their emtb new motor is still powered by Yamaha - directly from guants web site

ie they are EXPANDING ebike motor manufacturers to include Yamaha and shimano

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
I was talking about the new reign that was just released, and from leaks what the new trance will have. Which is what I thought we were discussing, the emtbs. That new motor has been described, in the marketing materials, as being developed with Yamaha to fit the maestro suspension better. It seems like that is a pretty big investment in their partnership with Yamaha heading into the future. So I doubt there will be a major switch to the ep8

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Most of the big ebike manufacturers use multiple suppliers for motors

Specialized use brose and mahle
Focus use bosch and shimano
Haibike use yamaha and flyon
orbea use bosch and yamaha

Giant are conservative, but even they are learning not to put all their eggs in the one basket?

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Someone needs to apply repeated NM of force with a blunt object to the marketing and IT dept at giant.

The giant cr@pp fiasco of 2018 to 2021 was bad enough, but now we have FOUR motors they are labelling as " syncdrive pro"

2018-2019 it was a yamaha pwx1
mid 2020 they quietly switched to yamaha pwx2 but advertising and IT still haven't caught up
mid 2021, toss a coin and your syncdrive pro could either be the reigning yamahuh? Or revolting shame 8

Imagine working at a giant lbs and trying to work out parts compatibility for a customer in 5 years time. For perspective, my 2018 full e pro has a 2020 pwx2 , the original evo screen isn't compatible so it needed a 2020 screen when the motor was upgraded. I think the wiring harness was also replaced.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
EP8 is a wonderful motor, very powerful and much more natural to ride than the yamaha. I have both and the yamaha is more powerful but the ep8 is much more smooth.

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
I was talking about the new reign that was just released, and from leaks what the new trance will have. Which is what I thought we were discussing, the emtbs. That new motor has been described, in the marketing materials, as being developed with Yamaha to fit the maestro suspension better. It seems like that is a pretty big investment in their partnership with Yamaha heading into the future. So I doubt there will be a major switch to the ep8
I hope they do not switch, I lif=ke the feel of the Yamaha motor and especilly like the 5 power modes (I don't use the auto mode). The 5 modes gives me excellent control of how much battery I'm using and even with a 500w battery I'm getting over 40 miles with 3500+ elevation. I'm upgrading to the 2022 mullet with the 625w batteryand that should do it for me for years to come.

argee1977

Aug 5, 2019
Bristol, England
Seems to add a lot of complexity for Giant to use both on same ranges, you'd need two frames due to motor and wiring differences, and Giant have a good relationship with Yamaha, meaning they have access to motors, spares, etc at a better rate and higher priority, EP8s are used on way more bikes and the customer books for them must be huge and complex, would Giant really want to go into that world, especially in the current climate where they're struggling to meet limited orders.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles