Syncdrive pro warranty and bearings

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
Has anyone received warranty repair on one of these motors for bearing wear? My drive side bearings have developed some movement that has increased over the last few months. I’m not sure if I should try for warranty now, or just wait till it gets really bad and pay for it after warranty expires.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Has anyone received warranty repair on one of these motors for bearing wear? My drive side bearings have developed some movement that has increased over the last few months. I’m not sure if I should try for warranty now, or just wait till it gets really bad and pay for it after warranty expires.
I had one replaced for motor noise, not bearing wear under warranty. A dealer will replace the whole motor in warranty not just the bearings I think. If you want to pay for a repair you can have yours refurbished, but don’t know why you’d want to do that if it’s in warranty 😁

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
I had one replaced for motor noise, not bearing wear under warranty. A dealer will replace the whole motor in warranty not just the bearings I think. If you want to pay for a repair you can have yours refurbished, but don’t know why you’d want to do that if it’s in warranty 😁
Will try to have it done before warranty ends, just the local store is fairly blasé about it. They were saying wait until it’s totally shat itself. I don’t agree as I think that’s how you get water damage inside

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Will try to have it done before warranty ends, just the local store is fairly blasé about it. They were saying wait until it’s totally shat itself. I don’t agree as I think that’s how you get water damage inside
Yes that's not a great attitude towards the issue, wait until it completely fails you half way up a mountain on your own miles from anywhere locks up and throws you off (y). id be getting it sorted pronto if it were me.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
How did you get on with this pal?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Was not considered bad enough for warranty. I am in a pretty dry climate so I’ll just keep running it until it’s bad enough, then will pay for a service.
I thought as much.

Beware...
The cyclic action of worn crank bearings is what cavitates the water into the motor and destroys them.
Once the circuit board has failed this way they can only be replaced by GIANT and they will want to charge you around £700GBP to replace it and give it you back the motor with only a 6 month warranty.
Add this to the average £250GBP cost of a bearing service and you are still heading to an expensive motor job that at the end of the day should be warrantied by GIANT.

I would push for the warranty exchange as bearing play in a bottom bracket is unacceptable in any bicycle.
You will however probably find the main wear is actually in the chainring bearings as opposed to crank, which is where they will argue the toss. (been here / done this multiple times)

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada

What kind of noise you experienced to have it replaced ?

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
What kind of noise you experienced to have it replaced ?
It was the high pitched screeching noise at high cadence which wasn’t cured by changing the motor. Found to be a “ characteristic” of the 2022 motor, not a fault. Wasn’t something I could put up with so Giant gave me a full refund and took the bike back 😁

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Acmac999
You yourself said "My drive side bearings have developed some movement that has increased over the last few months"
Giant is blowing smoke up your arse , go to your local stealer and check the play on a new bike. From what your saying the motor is toast. Sorry but Giant sucks, no dealer has the ability to make a decision on their own and if Giant thinks otherwise it's tough titty. I returned my Reign E+ 1 and got a full refund. I got tired of playing their games. Stu is 100% right. Good luck

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles