Giant Trance E+3 2019 is 'Toast'

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Plugged in the charger and the dreaded red light of doom came on. Took battery out and that was all sound, charging off the bike and no fault switching back on from 'off bike' charging, unless you put the charger back into the charging port on the bike again. Rode 1 mile after battery re-inserted and dead as a door nail. Engine dead, battery is fine though. Now the bike just switches on and then immediately off. Always an issue when the weathers good! Contacted JEJames last week with usual frame number etc, a little video etc. So we will wait and see.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Plugged in the charger and the dreaded red light of doom came on. Took battery out and that was all sound, charging off the bike and no fault switching back on from 'off bike' charging, unless you put the charger back into the charging port on the bike again. Rode 1 mile after battery re-inserted and dead as a door nail. Engine dead, battery is fine though. Now the bike just switches on and then immediately off. Always an issue when the weathers good! Contacted JEJames last week with usual frame number etc, a little video etc. So we will wait and see.

Gutted! Hope it gets sorted.

While you wait for the shop to get back you, it's worth gently cleaning the contact points on the battery and bike with some isopropyl alcohol. Grit and dust could be the culprit here.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Thanks, The contact points are spotless and it didn’t get wet either. But thank you. The way the fault occurred and transpired points to the charging port it’s self or engine. JeJ are sending me a box to send it back to establish the fault

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
After DPD doing there not-unsual, not picking my bike up on allotted day. Making up a fake sir name that they spoke to at a house and the bike couldn’t be picked up and returned as it wasn’t boxed??? As it was just before the bank holiday the drivers don’t like doing pick ups, they get paid less for them and they have to drive them back to depo. As i was moving the boxed bike into the drive for pick up the DPD driver, drive up out cul-de-sac and turned around at the end and drove out. I thought it was strange. Until I was told they have to do that so they can prove the GPS co-ordinates that they attempted a pick up and get paid for it still. Bloody idiots.
Bikes back at JEJ cycles fixing under warranty. Hopefully back late next week.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Bike returned, all fixed. Weird they said there was nothing wrong with it. Even though they worked on it and I sent the videos of the faults in action? I can see that it’s been apart though!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Bike returned, all fixed. Weird they said there was nothing wrong with it. Even though they worked on it and I sent the videos of the faults in action? I can see that it’s been apart though!
Who would know what goes on with internal politics/policies of dealerships and how they communicate would affect their records.

Glad its back and you're riding again. (y)

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
It’s riding beautifully. I changed the rear mech, hanger, casette and chain at 1,900k (very overdue) it’s like a new bike.
the engine also is much smoother and much less noisy, so I know they have done work on it.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
^ In addition to that, the handlebar motor control switch has been known to do silly things once water gets into it at some point...
I am on my 3rd RideControlOne handlebar unit, after a year on my 2019 Trance +1 pro MTB. Dealer replaced at no cost commenting Giant have had a lot of problems with these units. There is no way water got in to my RideControlOne units, so I suspect it is a manufacturing problem. Not good enough.,

Malyari

Jun 24, 2020
Washington DC
As with many of us muddogers, I gave my Trance a rinse after ripping a trail ride. Battery was half charged. When, I went to turn it back on, no power to RC+1, no LEDs on at all. So I, connected to the SmartPak Charger and it no longer recognizes the battery and will not charge it. The Giant manual says when charger is charging it flashes green to solid green when done. Now, when the charger is connected it only shows red, indicating no battery connected or found to charge. Any suggestions?

Malyari

Jun 24, 2020
Washington DC
I’ve slogged my rig through the muck and mud before, Nari a problem however this the second time, I rinsed it the battery motor system did not come back on. The first time I waited 30mins and everything reset, this time no joy. ?Took it back to LBS.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles