Giant Reign E+2 vs Norco Sight VLT C1

Jme

Aug 7, 2023
Delta B.C.
Hello,

Im currently in the market for my first E-Bike, and i am trying to narrow it down to one. I have ridden both the Norco Sight VLT C1 160/150 and the Giant Reign E+2 170/160 (around the parking lot), and my initial thought is that the Giant seems more agile. I think they both weigh around the same. The Norco i tested was a large (big bike 1292 wheelbase) 485 Reach, which is my recommended size from norco (5'10). The Norco is a 29er and the Giant is an MX. Giant recommends a medium for me, and i did like the size when i rode it. The Norco has Fancy bits (Fox Factory, Gx/Xo1 Eagle, Code RSC and One up dropper carbon frame) where as the giant has a basic Zeb, SLX brakes and drivetrain and alloy frame. Both have 800 and 900 (norco) wh batteries... The Giant is about $800 cheaper taxes in..

My main acoustic bike is a 21 Trek Slash carbon (170/160).

Which would you guys pick? And Why? and what else would you recommend in that price range (bear in mind i want something with minimum 720 wh battery). I ride Enduro in BC. so Steep and techy... with monster climbs up.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Have you also considered the Norco Range VLT?

I find Norco sizing off. I'm also 5'10 and bought their Bigfoot VLT in medium, and very happy with the size. The size large felt like I was a passenger on the bike, while I felt more in control with the medium.

I was between all these bikes and ended up going with a Specialized. I was also looking at the YT Decoy MX.
For me, it came down to what LBS I like, service/warranty, specs and availability. I would have gone with the Norco if It was a mullet since I could have shared batteries with my Bigfoot.

Jme

Aug 7, 2023
Delta B.C.
Have you also considered the Norco Range VLT?

I find Norco sizing off. I'm also 5'10 and bought their Bigfoot VLT in medium, and very happy with the size. The size large felt like I was a passenger on the bike, while I felt more in control with the medium.

I was between all these bikes and ended up going with a Specialized. I was also looking at the YT Decoy MX.
For me, it came down to what LBS I like, service/warranty, specs and availability. I would have gone with the Norco if It was a mullet since I could have shared batteries with my Bigfoot.
I have looked at the Range, but the Sale on the Sight is significantly better than the Range. Yeah, i'm inclined to agree with you about the sizing. I had a large Norco Fluid, but the reach was 475. The Sight jumps up to 485. Part of the problem is that i ride very steep BC terrain, so the natural instinct is to size up for safety, especially with a much heavier bike. I think i have to just anticipate progression and get the right size. I do like the reach of 450. Which specialized did you go with? my issue with them is battery size and cost seem to be lower and higher respectively. As im right near most MB headquarters support is probably pretty good here...

Base

Jul 21, 2023
Toronto
Picking up the Reign Saturday. Kinda Tapped for now, but carbon wheelset and AXS dropper are on my list for future upgrades.. along with a few other details. Happy it comes with decent brakes (SLX)..
Was going to add if you are planning to keep it more then 2 years then at least you can get the motor repaired through 3rd party if giant won't repair it. As you can get bearings/motor parts for it.

Where as Shimano is just bearings and from what I read that's all you can get past warranty. Oh and cover plates.

Reactions: Jme

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
Picking up the Reign Saturday. Kinda Tapped for now, but carbon wheelset and AXS dropper are on my list for future upgrades.. along with a few other details. Happy it comes with decent brakes (SLX)..
I have the 22 reign e+2 it is a downhill monster but climbs very well due to steep seatube. Enjoy!

Reactions: Jme
Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
I have a 22 Reign and love it. I’ve been upgrading parts that either get destroyed or wear out. It’s now a top of the line model with a coil which has made it even better downhill.. I had a 2020 version and the new version handles way better but the longer chainstays on the older model made it a slioghtly better climber. No motor problems and I love the auto mode now that I’ve gotten used to it. For the price its a no brainer buy the giant.

Jme

Aug 7, 2023
Delta B.C.
Having had a reighn X a few years back it is a class machine....

However giant e bikes I hear they are forever replacing bits with bikes off the road more than on....
I have seen mention of a few issues. Fingers crossed they have the water ingress issue fixed for '23

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles