The best e-bike I've ridden - Norco Range VLT C1

Should there be a NORCO section on this forum?

• Total voters

Wheezy

Feb 25, 2020
So Cal OC
I've ridden quite a few bikes in my day having worked for several shops in the SoCal area, some I've had the chance to put some serious time on but man, one day on the Range VLT C1 and I had to buy one.

It's 170mm of plush coil goodness. When I first looked at the bike I didn't expect to like it. It LOOKS weird, and that's because, well, it kind of is. The geometry is just different than anything else I've seen in the e-world. Slacked out had tube, super steep seat tube, long front triangle, PERFECT for an old DH racer with some physical disabilities and gray hair. The bike itself is awesome. No joke, FIRST ride I set 19 PRs and 7 other 2nds on Strava; and I didn't feel nearly as fast as I did on my tried and true trusty ol Levo. (2017 comp but heavily upgraded).

I was in disbelief, as some of the times were significant, and it was a trail that I ride OFTEN. I didn't even play with the suspension. I set the fork ride height and checked tire pressure and rode it. Over the past few weeks, I have done a lot to the bike. Swapped wheels, I put my i9's with Easton ARC '40s mated up with DHF / DHR II 2.8's at 17 / 19 psi and watched those times shrink even more. Like, all of a sudden I'm a fast guy again. Then I swapped bars, stem, seat and put some Saints on it (I seem to be the only person I know that despises the SRAM brakes, whatever). Again, times where getting shaved, albeit much smaller margins and not nearly as broad-spectrum in regards to the trails. Then I dialed in the fork, removed a token, slowed down the rebound just a tad and for the first time ever with a rock shox fork, had to dial in some compression damping. Slowed down the rear rebound and increase slow speed comp just a tad and HOLY F'N WOW did this bike come alive. I'm not exaggerating when I say, I scared myself a few times. I found myself hitting stuff so much faster, that if I was offline, my old feebleness couldn't correct quickly enough. My main riding buddy is non-e-bike, but he's a fitness trainer for the Marine Corps and 15 years younger than me... and he can't ditch me anymore! In fact, on a 3 mile downhill run just this last Saturday, he was holding me up and I have the video to prove it. Hahaha!! I also swapped the rear derailleur for an SRAM AXS, just because I could.

There is another review out there of this bike that mentions some of the flaws... or, just stuff that isn't ideal. I'll say this, anytime a review points out the tires as the weakest point of a bike... A. It's a shitty review. B.... well, see A. Like, swap the tires numbnuts. I will say this, the stock 2.5 Asshatagai or whatever they're called, while maybe a good choice for a normal-sized human, SUCKED for my 6'5" 240lb sasquatchish figure. That's really a moot point in my opinion on any bike though. The stock wheels are good, but not great. Again, normal-sized people wouldn't have any issues.

The bike's biggest problem is also one of the things I love about it. The sealed battery in the downtube. This is an area where Norco could REALLY improve their bikes. RUN A FRIGGEN CONDUIT!!! If you have any issues with your rear brake, derailleur cable, display cable or anything else running in there a full motor removal is required. That is really not a huge deal, but it's a pain in the ass for sure. Way worse than that is getting all the crap back up into the downtube. You're shoving a giant battery up and hoping the cables line up where they need to and not getting pinched or pulled. Royal pain in the rear end for sure. Cable management isn't the best. The grommets they used are, mediocre and come out of the frame way too easily. I've had to pop the one back in several times in the past few weeks. The chainstay protector sucks, it's pitiful actually. It doesn't run nearly far enough down the length of the stay and is just on there with low-grade adhesive. The other big gripe is the sensor. There is tons of room for improvement here. It's just bolted on to the chainstay and uses a spoke magnet. Like, what's up 1980 bike computer technology? Horrible and makes taking the rear wheel off / on way more of a chore than it should be. I'll also just say this, I don't really care for the Shimano motors, especially compared to the Brose. I am getting used to it though. Ohh, and that damn maple leaf. "Sorry, not sorry" for covering that up.

So back to the good. All the bad, is stuff that doesn't affect how the bike rides and that was clearly the focus over there at Norco. They wanted a legit enduro bike that could climb the steepest steeps and bomb down the gnarliest stuff out there and well, mission accomplished. The bike just handles everything you throw at it. I wasn't surprised how well it soaks up the bigger stuff at all. With the big coil shock and 170/180 mm travel it really does shine in the rough. What I did find surprising was how well the bike handles. With the slack head angle I thought it would be slow and maybe even a little unresponsive and sluggish. That's not the case though, the bike will snap a turn through a berm with the best of em! The geometry lends itself to a more forward position, and I think that's the key that gets this bike to work as well as it does. And while I previously admitted I didn't like the Shimano motor, I LOVE that 635Wh battery! "RANGE" for sure and a good balance of weight to capacity.

In short, this is the best e-bike I've ridden, for how and what I ride it's nearly perfect. Why there is no Norco specific category on this site, I don't know, but there should be because these guys are crushing it.
C21893AF-7CA0-4EEC-9BB8-89B83313861C.JPG 0AAA46C9-C53E-4C1C-AB69-64A466C82DB1.JPG IMG_1001.jpg IMG_1015.jpg IMG_1031.jpg IMG_1034.jpg IMG_1045.jpg IMG_1046.jpg IMG_1065.jpg IMG_1073.jpg IMG_1077.jpg IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1137.jpg IMG_1194.jpg

Last edited:

Wheezy

Feb 25, 2020
So Cal OC
How dare you claim a bike is better than a levo on this forum, expect to see a mod in here swinging the ban hammer any second ??

Legit LOL - the Levo has THE BEST MOTOR out there in terms of "feel and rideability" FOR SURE. But the rest of the bike falls way short for riding, well, FAST. If I was doing a 35 mile epic, I would probably still take my levo...... well... no... no I actually wouldn't. :ROFLMAO:

Wheezy

Feb 25, 2020
So Cal OC
RAD!!!! Great video, and does a good job showing exactly where this bike shines. They really did hit some magic numbers in regards to geometry. I didn't ride the C2, but would be curious to see how the Elite stuf stacks up against the 2020 Lyrik (best fork I've ever ridden) and Super Deluxe shock. For $900, which is certainly not chump change, I think it would have left me longing for the "better" suspension setup and cost me more in the long run for an upgrade. Then again, you see videos of young guys ripping and it's always more about the rider than the kit. I'm old and broken enough I need every advantage I can get.

Thanks for posting up!

1582819526010.png

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
Well the norco definitely sounds like a contender!
The blue in that video looks so much better the white one I think. Is that a USA only colour?

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
And a big negative for us UK riders is buying through Evans only! Especially with the carpark only demo they allow for bikes!

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Sick bike! But you are correct that cable routing in the down tube..lol wtf... Its like when you demo a house and find some crazy shit the last "contractor" did...

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
So what bikes have you compared this to? This is not a dig but a lot of bikes will feel amazing coming off a 17’ Levo no matter how much you upgraded it. Wondering how you feel it compares to the decoy, keenevo, or even a newer overworked Levo. How does it handle lower angle flowier trails, I kinda assumed this was a 1 trick pony bruiser of a bike. Wondering how versatile it is. I love hearing About great new bikes

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Legit LOL - the Levo has THE BEST MOTOR out there in terms of "feel and rideability" FOR SURE. But the rest of the bike falls way short for riding, well, FAST. If I was doing a 35 mile epic, I would probably still take my levo...... well... no... no I actually wouldn't. :ROFLMAO:

If you can find one that hasn't crapped itself!

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
So what bikes have you compared this to? This is not a dig but a lot of bikes will feel amazing coming off a 17’ Levo no matter how much you upgraded it. Wondering how you feel it compares to the decoy, keenevo, or even a newer overworked Levo. How does it handle lower angle flowier trails, I kinda assumed this was a 1 trick pony bruiser of a bike. Wondering how versatile it is. I love hearing About great new bikes

Most of the times is not the best ebike, is the best ebike for you. That involves many factors. f.e: a Whyte e 180 looks like another high performance ebike, but , add few cms here and he would not fit as perfect than the Norco. Suspensión a bit harsh and it will not feel as good in your local rooty trails ... etc etc. It’s a matter/mix of that elements sinergy and your own needs.

When you find a ebike that nailed all your demands and it’s also a good quality and developed ebike, thats best ebike ever!

Last edited:

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
I've ridden quite a few bikes in my day having worked for several shops in the SoCal area, some I've had the chance to put some serious time on but man, one day on the Range VLT C1 and I had to buy one.

It's 170mm of plush coil goodness. When I first looked at the bike I didn't expect to like it. It LOOKS weird, and that's because, well, it kind of is. The geometry is just different than anything else I've seen in the e-world. Slacked out had tube, super steep seat tube, long front triangle, PERFECT for an old DH racer with some physical disabilities and gray hair. The bike itself is awesome. No joke, FIRST ride I set 19 PRs and 7 other 2nds on Strava; and I didn't feel nearly as fast as I did on my tried and true trusty ol Levo. (2017 comp but heavily upgraded).

I was in disbelief, as some of the times were significant, and it was a trail that I ride OFTEN. I didn't even play with the suspension. I set the fork ride height and checked tire pressure and rode it. Over the past few weeks, I have done a lot to the bike. Swapped wheels, I put my i9's with Easton ARC '40s mated up with DHF / DHR II 2.8's at 17 / 19 psi and watched those times shrink even more. Like, all of a sudden I'm a fast guy again. Then I swapped bars, stem, seat and put some Saints on it (I seem to be the only person I know that despises the SRAM brakes, whatever). Again, times where getting shaved, albeit much smaller margins and not nearly as broad-spectrum in regards to the trails. Then I dialed in the fork, removed a token, slowed down the rebound just a tad and for the first time ever with a rock shox fork, had to dial in some compression damping. Slowed down the rear rebound and increase slow speed comp just a tad and HOLY F'N WOW did this bike come alive. I'm not exaggerating when I say, I scared myself a few times. I found myself hitting stuff so much faster, that if I was offline, my old feebleness couldn't correct quickly enough. My main riding buddy is non-e-bike, but he's a fitness trainer for the Marine Corps and 15 years younger than me... and he can't ditch me anymore! In fact, on a 3 mile downhill run just this last Saturday, he was holding me up and I have the video to prove it. Hahaha!! I also swapped the rear derailleur for an SRAM AXS, just because I could.

There is another review out there of this bike that mentions some of the flaws... or, just stuff that isn't ideal. I'll say this, anytime a review points out the tires as the weakest point of a bike... A. It's a shitty review. B.... well, see A. Like, swap the tires numbnuts. I will say this, the stock 2.5 Asshatagai or whatever they're called, while maybe a good choice for a normal-sized human, SUCKED for my 6'5" 240lb sasquatchish figure. That's really a moot point in my opinion on any bike though. The stock wheels are good, but not great. Again, normal-sized people wouldn't have any issues.

The bike's biggest problem is also one of the things I love about it. The sealed battery in the downtube. This is an area where Norco could REALLY improve their bikes. RUN A FRIGGEN CONDUIT!!! If you have any issues with your rear brake, derailleur cable, display cable or anything else running in there a full motor removal is required. That is really not a huge deal, but it's a pain in the ass for sure. Way worse than that is getting all the crap back up into the downtube. You're shoving a giant battery up and hoping the cables line up where they need to and not getting pinched or pulled. Royal pain in the rear end for sure. Cable management isn't the best. The grommets they used are, mediocre and come out of the frame way too easily. I've had to pop the one back in several times in the past few weeks. The chainstay protector sucks, it's pitiful actually. It doesn't run nearly far enough down the length of the stay and is just on there with low-grade adhesive. The other big gripe is the sensor. There is tons of room for improvement here. It's just bolted on to the chainstay and uses a spoke magnet. Like, what's up 1980 bike computer technology? Horrible and makes taking the rear wheel off / on way more of a chore than it should be. I'll also just say this, I don't really care for the Shimano motors, especially compared to the Brose. I am getting used to it though. Ohh, and that damn maple leaf. "Sorry, not sorry" for covering that up.

So back to the good. All the bad, is stuff that doesn't affect how the bike rides and that was clearly the focus over there at Norco. They wanted a legit enduro bike that could climb the steepest steeps and bomb down the gnarliest stuff out there and well, mission accomplished. The bike just handles everything you throw at it. I wasn't surprised how well it soaks up the bigger stuff at all. With the big coil shock and 170/180 mm travel it really does shine in the rough. What I did find surprising was how well the bike handles. With the slack head angle I thought it would be slow and maybe even a little unresponsive and sluggish. That's not the case though, the bike will snap a turn through a berm with the best of em! The geometry lends itself to a more forward position, and I think that's the key that gets this bike to work as well as it does. And while I previously admitted I didn't like the Shimano motor, I LOVE that 635Wh battery! "RANGE" for sure and a good balance of weight to capacity.

In short, this is the best e-bike I've ridden, for how and what I ride it's nearly perfect. Why there is no Norco specific category on this site, I don't know, but there should be because these guys are crushing it.
View attachment 26603 View attachment 26602 View attachment 26604 View attachment 26605 View attachment 26606 View attachment 26607 View attachment 26608 View attachment 26609 View attachment 26610 View attachment 26611 View attachment 26612 View attachment 26613 View attachment 26614 View attachment 26616

Rob180

Apr 17, 2019
Northern California
I demoed a Norco Range VLT today and I wasn’t impressed. The bike is good, kinematics and chassis dynamics. But, that E8000 is not very good. Too bad, the chassis was decent.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
What size spring you runing on the coil to suit your 240lbs?
great you got the bike so dialed, quite low tyre pressure's , you dont find the tyres squirm when loaded in berms? I might try going lower myself

thanks for the review

schleprx7

Aug 7, 2020
SF Bay Area
Yes same battery and motor on the sight, same down tube, I haven't taken the battery out yet but can see how it would be annoying.
I've replaced my derailleur and dropper cables and housings on my Sight VLT and can confirm it's the same. You have to drop the motor and remove the battery to replace either the dropper or derailleur cable housings. It's not too difficult but takes more time than it should for regular maintenance items.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Any one with this problem with Norco Rangr/Sight VLT??? : (

Yep, get the rockguardz carbon shield thing. Cheap enough. It doesn’t replace the plastic piece you cracked, it just adds a layer of protection.

There is a rock ledge on a climb I ride frequently that destroys the stock piece every time. Seems OK with the rock guardz shield.

Only complaint- the bolt holes didn’t line up well on mine. But still pretty much a mandatory upgrade.

While I’m here- LOVE my 27.5” Sight VLT built up with a -1 degree angleset, Fox 38 and float x2, and saint/XTR. My girlfriend bought a Levo comp and it certainly has better range and is a really nice bike. But it’s definitely more of a trail bike all around.

Cheers!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles