Norco Range/Sight VLT Cheap Plastic Motor Guard

SL76

Feb 7, 2021
Turin
Hi everyones ,here Sergio from Turin (Italy)..
Can someone can tell me how I can fix the issue with the bottom plastic motor protector mounted on The Norco Range/Sight???
I broke it last Sunday descending on a rock...

ps* any Idea how to repair it???new plastic or alluminium cover

Thankz !!!

Sergio

20210228_144442.jpg

20210228_180214.jpg

Richo

Nov 1, 2020
Australia
I've got a crack in mine as well but don't think it's going to be an issue.
Anyone have issues with the walk function not working or is it something I can look at in an app?

SL76

Feb 7, 2021
Turin
Hi, as soon as I hit that plastic against a stone I new it was exposed and frail piece of plastic. I ordered Norco Range/Sight VLT 2019/20 as protection. It adds an extra of protection on top of the existing plastic.

Have you got some pictures to show...
of the extra protection that you have just order ???
Sorry i didn t understand.

Thank you.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Raffe’s got it right. My stock guard cracked in like 2 rides.
You’ll want to replace It. The Rockguardz carbon one goes over it, it’s an add-on not a replacement. Seems sturdy though!

Loamshredder

Jun 5, 2021
Whistler
Raffe’s got it right. My stock guard cracked in like 2 rides.
You’ll want to replace It. The Rockguardz carbon one goes over it, it’s an add-on not a replacement. Seems sturdy though!
I tried one, looks nice but it’s garbage. It only lasted a month before it disintegrated. It’s fibreglass or carbon cloth with resin and after the fist hit it cracked so I layered it with 3M frame tape but that only lasted a few more hits. This part needs to be aluminum but none are available aftermarket.

SL76

Feb 7, 2021
Turin
B.t.w...after 3 mounth ...my Norco Range Vlt completly died,3 week ago...i try to start the bike ,but i never turn on...propably could be the battery o the turn on button...now it is at my bike shop...we waiting the answer from Norco...but gonna be a long waiting session!!!! : ( oooohhhmmmmmm!!!

Loamshredder

Jun 5, 2021
Whistler
B.t.w...after 3 mounth ...my Norco Range Vlt completly died,3 week ago...i try to start the bike ,but i never turn on...propably could be the battery o the turn on button...now it is at my bike shop...we waiting the answer from Norco...but gonna be a long waiting session!!!! : ( oooohhhmmmmmm!!!
It’s probably your turn on button. When you press it nothing happens. They are very prone to failure from water getting in there. The first Gen has been replaced with 2nd Gen due to this issue. It’s a poor design, no need for the fancy blue circle to light up, better for the power on bottom to be waterproof. Mine died after a few wet rides in the rain. The local Norco shop had the part in stock luckily, and covered under warranty. The part otherwise cost about $150CDN.lots of labour involved, motor drop, battery out, fork off for access.
It has been fine since but I avoid riding in rain now which is not ideal. Never spray your bike down pointed at this button!!!

SL76

Feb 7, 2021
Turin
It’s probably your turn on button. When you press it nothing happens. They are very prone to failure from water getting in there. The first Gen has been replaced with 2nd Gen due to this issue. It’s a poor design, no need for the fancy blue circle to light up, better for the power on bottom to be waterproof. Mine died after a few wet rides in the rain. The local Norco shop had the part in stock luckily, and covered under warranty. The part otherwise cost about $150CDN.lots of labour involved, motor drop, battery out, fork off for access.
It has been fine since but I avoid riding in rain now which is not ideal. Never spray your bike down pointed at this button!!!
Thank you very much @Loamshredder ...really???jesus...
Now they give me a Bh e-mtb 29 wheels 140/140 Ep8 ...to try it!!! in the meantime i m waiting the replacing part from Norco.
But is it a Shimano ISSUE???or the press button is an idea from Norco??cuz even the Bh have the same starting press botton,but it is on the removable battery.
The Range Vlt is an amazing bike,besign,components..but since i got it...every week end i got problems.
Btw any other advise will be appreciate!
Sergio

20210526_183055.jpg

20210413_111216.jpg

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I tried one, looks nice but it’s garbage. It only lasted a month before it disintegrated. It’s fibreglass or carbon cloth with resin and after the fist hit it cracked so I layered it with 3M frame tape but that only lasted a few more hits. This part needs to be aluminum but none are available aftermarket.

That sucks. I think the issue is that if we had an aluminum guard, it would just transfer the impact through those 2 small bolts and crack those, and/or the frame. What is really needed is a taco/bashguard system than extends forward from the cranks to protect the motor..... so ISCG tabs at min. Maybe on the next generation.

I tend to ride my pedal bike much more aggressively than my Sight. eBikes of all brands are expensive and relatively delicate. It ain’t just a Norco thing. But sure nice to have one.

Loamshredder

Jun 5, 2021
Whistler
Thank you very much @Loamshredder ...really???jesus...
Now they give me a Bh e-mtb 29 wheels 140/140 Ep8 ...to try it!!! in the meantime i m waiting the replacing part from Norco.
But is it a Shimano ISSUE???or the press button is an idea from Norco??cuz even the Bh have the same starting press botton,but it is on the removable battery.
The Range Vlt is an amazing bike,besign,components..but since i got it...every week end i got problems.
Btw any other advise will be appreciate!
Sergio

View attachment 63418

View attachment 63419
The button is a Norco part. The Norco store I deal with Norco North Shore - North Vancouver Bike Shop mechanic said it is a common problem on the 1st Gen VLT`s. Also, your shop mechanic should cover all electrical connections with diuretic grease - this is important. This shop does this with every bike they sell before it goes out the door, largely because of the damp climate here on the west coast of BC.
Nice looking bike they gave you...now you might be converted to 29er!! Sometimes wishing I bought the Sight instead, but love the plushness, travel and rear coil of the Range...even though its a bit of a dog at slow speed tech and tech uphills.
I also have the range extender...great having 1000W which I am sure would be easy to burn through in the Alps!

SL76

Feb 7, 2021
Turin
The button is a Norco part. The Norco store I deal with Norco North Shore - North Vancouver Bike Shop mechanic said it is a common problem on the 1st Gen VLT`s. Also, your shop mechanic should cover all electrical connections with diuretic grease - this is important. This shop does this with every bike they sell before it goes out the door, largely because of the damp climate here on the west coast of BC.
Nice looking bike they gave you...now you might be converted to 29er!! Sometimes wishing I bought the Sight instead, but love the plushness, travel and rear coil of the Range...even though its a bit of a dog at slow speed tech and tech uphills.
I also have the range extender...great having 1000W which I am sure would be easy to burn through in the Alps!
Grazie @Loamshredder !!!
Sorry 4 my english...
Good to now!!...i got the extender battery too...never used or need it in 3 month ,cuz with the Simplo 630W is more than enought for my 'kind of riding'
The coil on the Range Vlt is amazing ,but start to liking oil after just 2 month since i recived the bike...
The difference between the E8000 vs Ep8 is huge...,normaly with the simplo 630 i can afford 1500mt of climbs and 55km and zero bars left...with the Ep8 today 1500 mt of climbs 46 km and still 3 bars left...with a 720 W battery on the Bh.(lots of trail mode)
Climbing on both bike is more or less the same,but descending now with the 29ers is another planet.
Let z see how my bike shop gonna fix the issue with the turn ON button...cuz remove the motor,remove the battery and fork and riassamble all togher...itz not a Joke!
Cheers!

Sergio

20210522_142301.jpg

20210522_142316.jpg

SL76

Feb 7, 2021
Turin
Btw ...my Rangw Vlt after one mounth at the shop,and different try to fix the eletric-problems...Norco decide that don'was the start ON button(already replace it)but was the battery(630 Simplo) completly 'gone'.
So i m waiting another mounth the new battery to arrive : (...
I going to buy a new bike on nex week...Cannondale Moterra 2(2020) with just 200km...have any one an idea how the moterra perform???

Thankz .
Sergio

jasonbub

Sep 21, 2021
Los Angeles
Hi Fellow VLT owners,
I just wanted to log that I too have broken the motor guard after some pretty simple bumps on rocks. It is certainly not very strong. I am considering trying out the Rockguards.

A number of you have freaked me out about the issues you've faced with the bike. I am pushing it pretty hard (considerable hucks and substantial rock gardens). I figured that is what it was built for.

Please let me know if anyone else has had any issues. I like to hear more about it.

Also, any shops in Los Angeles area that you trust with your Norco and can successfully service and get parts would be great to hear about.

Jason

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Has anyone cleaned/greased the connections between their battery and motor?
I’ve had my 2019 sight VLT for two years now, in the drier months it’s been reliable. Yesterday (2 weeks after a snow ride) I had multiple errors, saying there was an issue with the connection between battery and motor. I had the same issues last winter- wet conditions or hosing the bike off (which I no longer do) would occasionally cause error codes.
I’ve had a dealer look into it once, but I’m wondering if it’s time for a DIY cleaning/dialectric grease application? I need new cable housing anyways.

jasonbub

Sep 21, 2021
Los Angeles
Has anyone cleaned/greased the connections between their battery and motor?
I’ve had my 2019 sight VLT for two years now, in the drier months it’s been reliable. Yesterday (2 weeks after a snow ride) I had multiple errors, saying there was an issue with the connection between battery and motor. I had the same issues last winter- wet conditions or hosing the bike off (which I no longer do) would occasionally cause error codes.
I’ve had a dealer look into it once, but I’m wondering if it’s time for a DIY cleaning/dialectric grease application? I need new cable housing anyways.

Thanks for the feedback! I'd really like to be able to handle motor drops myself. This would allow me to ensure that the connectors have ample dielectric grease applied. Anyone up for detailing the steps and tools required to drop the motor?

BTW: Until I hear back, I am going to chill out on all the washing. I typically wash after every ride. I spray the entire bike. No issues yet, but I don't want to cause any either.

Jason

Silver fox

Mar 21, 2021
Kelowna, B.C.
Just read this post. I just removed my E8000 for the second time. It’s. Not rocket science! Just need a set of bike sockets and a torque wrench ( for reinstall).
1) remove front motor guide
2) remove both cranks (small removal tool need for tensioner).
3)remove chain guard (2 bolts)
4) remove chain from front sprocket and remove front ring from spider
(4 bolts).
5)remove the 2 motor mount bolts that pass through the rear motor
protector and remove the rear protector. (is There is one more screw on the drive side to remove). Be sure to replace the rear protector when
replacing these 2 screws. Yes, I forgot!
there are 4 more screws holding the motor in. Two are relatively short and 2 a bit longer.
6) the motor should now be loose. I found that the motor came easier by moving it slightly forward and then gently removing it. There will be a
main wiring harness and 2 black wires connected to the motor. One of these wires had came loose, necessitating the motor removal!
Easy fix, poor design!

The hardest part was the reinstall. The wires going to the charger port, etc. just don’t seem to have enough space. It is a very tight fit.
my secong removal was another power failure that I believe was my
fault. One of the aforementioned wires got jammed between the frame and the motor on reinstall. It’s going to necessitate a new charging port and a couple of wiring harnesses. I’d suggest using A couple of small zip ties and maybe a bit of ”Gorilla tape” to hold these wires in the channel between the motor mounts.
Good luck.

Bob.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles