Giant reign E+2 massive disappointment with warranty

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
It is strange to read such bad experiences when the warranty service from Giant here in Canada is exceptional.

I used their warranty two times this summer and both claims were accepted same day with parts / bike repaired within a week.
We're in the UK, and honestly, Giant are a joke here.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I have a very good relationship with my LBS, we go on rides together and I've spent a fortune in his shop, but if Giant aren't holding up their end, it puts my LBS in a difficult position. He's actually considering giving up selling e-bikes altogether because of the lack of support and warranty payments from suppliers.

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
It actually isn't if you read their terms and conditions. They probably tell you that it is when you're buying it though.
You made me look, I was sure I'd read it somewhere. It does read like you get most of the warranty transferred to a second owner, but I must be missing something, apologies, I thought this looked positive Warranty Information | Giant Bicycles UK

Untitled.png

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
You made me look, I was sure I'd read it somewhere. It does read like you get most of the warranty transferred to a second owner, but I must be missing something, apologies, I thought this looked positive Warranty Information | Giant Bicycles UK

View attachment 127629
Just frame and rigid forks are transferrable then.

I knew it definitely wasn't the case with motors because I have another mate who's had to buy a motor, despite the bike being virtually new, because he's not the original purchaser.

The whole thing absolutely stinks if you ask me.

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
Just frame and rigid forks are transferrable then.

I knew it definitely wasn't the case with motors because I have another mate who's had to buy a motor, despite the bike being virtually new, because he's not the original purchaser.

The whole thing absolutely stinks if you ask me.
Ah, I see what you are getting at. I thought the same thing, the table is confusing - however it does say you get 2 yrs warranty from original purchase date, as the second owner. there are some stipulations, but that should mean for motor etc as well. so not unreasonable really.

I agree it sounds like you and your LBS have been treated really badly, must be so frustrating, and it seems also inconsistent. It's so much money we pay, better service should be delivered across the board.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Ah, I see what you are getting at. I thought the same thing, the table is confusing - however it does say you get 2 yrs warranty from original purchase date, as the second owner. there are some stipulations, but that should mean for motor etc as well. so not unreasonable really.

I agree it sounds like you and your LBS have been treated really badly, must be so frustrating, and it seems also inconsistent. It's so much money we pay, better service should be delivered across the board.
That's not how I read it.

Two years warranty on the frame for the first and second owners.
Same for RIGID forks.
Two years warranty on everything else for the first owner only.

Kanitfastan

Jul 15, 2023
Salzburg, Austria (Alps)
I´v asked two weeks after end of warranty for a Shimano Deore XT SL-M8100-IR Rapidfire Plus gear lever, whose spring was broken. Got it. So now its in my garage as spare part, because I wanted not to wait and bought another for my pleasure.
So I think, Giants reaction was fair!

0001 Schalthebel.jpg

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Have you ever removed a motor from one?
The biggest problem is the packaging of the wiring. Whilst the connectors are TECHNICALLY waterproof, the wiring is so ridiculously tightly bunched up inside the motor covers that the 'pull' on the wires prevents the grommets from doing an adequate job of sealing the connectors, and once the water gets into the loom, it capillaries through the lot until it's all rotten.
Also, the motor vent is just a patch of goretex type material over a hole in the motor, which isn't the best design, and they just rely on the grease seals on the bearing to keep water out of the shaft on the left side, and there's a 'seal' on the right side in the main drive gear which can't do its job because there's more play in the sintered bushes than the seal can accommodate.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles