Giant reign E+2 massive disappointment with warranty

ironmanalishi

Dec 28, 2021
South Wales uk
Hi all, I’ve been without my reign e+2 since 25th November…..it just died in the trail. I returned the bike to the dealer(a large affair) and all I’ve had is delay after delay, whereby they think they identify a failure point, wait 10 to 12 days for it to arrive , fit and then realise it’s something else…they swopped various cable and connectors and the last update, a day or two ago was that it needs a new motor…..Ive complained to the dealership and Giant UK, and even repeatedly requested a refund, so I can go and buy something else(even with the same dealer, despite my suspicions they aren’t that proactive) to no avail….anyone else had similar delays or frustrations ? to be honest, I regret buying a Giant and also from the particular dealer….several of my mates with Spesh sometimes have catastrophic issues, return their bikes and are told to grab a coffee in the local cafe and even have motors swooped within 2 hours!

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
I was told by Giant there was no way I would get a refund until I threatened them with going to court. They changed their minds in an instant. I got a complete refund. Worth a try…😎

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
why not describe the issue here and see if there are any suggestions, especially from other Reign owners. The problem here is that very few LBS have bike mechanics capable of diagnosing electrical problems and so what you tend to see is "stabs in the dark".......change this cable, change that component...............each time waiting for those parts to be sent under a warranty claim because they do not carry stock of any of the parts. From what you described the bike is electrically dead and that is far easier to diagnose than an intermittent fault, largely by using a multimeter. It always surprises me that often the last component to be suspected or tested is the one device that controls the entire system...........the Controller!
Solid state elecrical components are very reliable. The vast majority of electrical faults are caused by connections and physical switches unless there is some contamination typical by water. The most vulnerable parts of an ebike system are those components or areas that have..or potentially have both (switches or connections plus potential for water ingress). There is usually a temporal cause and effect...........you know the effect, it shut down..............any likely cause??

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
I know of two Reign owners that had issues that the Giants stores struggled to rectify. Both had multiple things replaced, in one case it turned out to be a faulty speed sensor causing all the problems, another case a faulty battery. One of them rejected the bike and didn't have any problem with the shop, the other one has been reliable since the new battery went in.

Sorry for your trouble and hope they get to the bottom of it. Under consumer law you might be well positioned to reject the bike given that they haven't been able to fix it in two months.

ironmanalishi

Dec 28, 2021
South Wales uk
after multiple component swops and then a new motor, it was out of action over 50 days…., they eventually admitted they didn’t know why they couldn’t fix it, so despite loving the bike ive been refunded and I’ve moved to another marque….shame really as it was a monster truck of a bike for the price….hope this is an isolated incident and I’m somewhat luckier with the new steed ! Thanks all for the advice and suggestions

Last edited:

O'l Timer

Dec 28, 2019
kent
To be fair I received a good outcome for my "problem". Had my Trance X E+ Pro 29 6 months / 500 miles at the time. Cleaning around the crank/motor area and found a bit of "play" when you turn the crank arms axially. Sound of a slight knocking as if a keyway was worn. Do not know how the drive is connected, used keyway to describe the type of noise. Thought I would mention it to the Giant Superstore at Worthing where I bought it, mainly to just make them aware if I got a problem after warranty ran out. They said to bring the bike in for them to check it. They said that Giant said 4-5mm was acceptable, but to satisfy themselves they checked 7 new Trances they had on display. From memory 4 had no play and 3 did have the same play that mine had. They said they would contact Giant and run it past them. Six days later I received a call from Superstore saying Giant want to replace the motor under warranty. Took it back a week later and motor replaced. Was not expecting that but possibly headed off a more serious problem later down the line. So my experience with Giant, a positive one.

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
My new +2 Reign was cutting out as I rode. It came back on only to cut off again. I took it in to my LBS and the ran a scan and found nothing but realized there was a problem. They called the Giant rep and he said without question they would replace the battery. They agreed to let me upgrade to the 800W battery and pay the difference. Win win. I love the bike. Also my LBS found my Zeb fork was not properly functioning they sent it to Rock Shox and they replaced the cartridge with the Ultimate cartridge no Cost. Love my LBS as well as Rick Shox. Upgrading my rear to a RS Super Deluxe coil next.

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Giant Trance X Advanced E+2 800 miles cutting out randomly, sometimes rebooting, occasionally not. First attempt by LBS checking connections etc didn’t fix it, battery then got replaced under warranty, all is good now. My mate with an identical bike, similar miles, had the same issue, with the same end result. Excellent LBS #cycleworldportsmouth but Giant’s response could have been much swifter.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Giant problems are legion.
Water ingress is the most common issue because the quality of the wiring installation is terrible.

I replaced the wiring completely on my Giant about two years ago and that side of it has been fine since.

It's had the motor bearings replaced twice but that was for noise/play reasons, not an actual break down.

We (me and the wife both have Giants) have had various battery issues, after months of problems with hers not powering up after being charged, then randomly fixing itself with no intervention other than time, we EVENTUALLY got a new battery under warranty and it's been fine since.

Mine had issues with the battery where it wouldn't power up after a little use, so if we rode somewhere and stopped for lunch, it wouldn't power up afterwards. Leave it for two hours and it would be fine. Many rides ruined that way. You couldn't even just leave it turned on because it turns itself off after a while.

A firmware update seems to have fixed that problem on my Giant now, but I don't ride that bike very often these days because I bought a better bike with a Polini motor and that's been absolutely faultless.

I'll definitely never buy a Giant again. The wife's damn thing even ruined a holiday because it wouldn't work when we got there, not what you expect from a £5600 bicycle. Getting a battery on warranty took months.

I think time when a bike is unrideable should be added to the warranty period.

Speedie98

Aug 29, 2023
Austria
My new +2 Reign was cutting out as I rode. It came back on only to cut off again. I took it in to my LBS and the ran a scan and found nothing but realized there was a problem. They called the Giant rep and he said without question they would replace the battery. They agreed to let me upgrade to the 800W battery and pay the difference. Win win. I love the bike. Also my LBS found my Zeb fork was not properly functioning they sent it to Rock Shox and they replaced the cartridge with the Ultimate cartridge no Cost. Love my LBS as well as Rick Shox. Upgrading my rear to a RS Super Deluxe coil next.
Hello, did this fox your issue? How’s the bike riding now?

Fritz

Jan 28, 2022
Dorking, RH4
Got my bike back after 42 days at the lbs. They got me a demo bike but the issues I had in the last two years start to worry me now because my warranty ends. Got a whole new set of cables, a new switch and a new motor a year ago. This time it was the sensor and a software issue. What is next and how much do I have to shell out of my pocket for it. They say the warranty is valid from the day of purchase two years. Other brands have a better after sales service it seems.

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Hi all, I’ve been without my reign e+2 since 25th November…..it just died in the trail. I returned the bike to the dealer(a large affair) and all I’ve had is delay after delay, whereby they think they identify a failure point, wait 10 to 12 days for it to arrive , fit and then realise it’s something else…they swopped various cable and connectors and the last update, a day or two ago was that it needs a new motor…..Ive complained to the dealership and Giant UK, and even repeatedly requested a refund, so I can go and buy something else(even with the same dealer, despite my suspicions they aren’t that proactive) to no avail….anyone else had similar delays or frustrations ? to be honest, I regret buying a Giant and also from the particular dealer….several of my mates with Spesh sometimes have catastrophic issues, return their bikes and are told to grab a coffee in the local cafe and even have motors swooped within 2 hours!
A mate with a Trance E+2 has just had a new motor after the LBS couldn’t resolve an intermittent loss of all power. I have the same bike and have had a new 625wh battery and a dropper post under warranty. No complaints at all with our LBS - the excellent Cycle World in Portsmouth. They are a Giant main agent (also have the Giant store in Southampton) so maybe that affects their relationship?

op2097

Oct 23, 2022
Shropshire
My 2021 trance x e pro went tits up after 4 months. It then spent 64% of the ten months I owned It broken.
Giant had it back and replaced the full loom and sent it back again. The motor was broken but they admitted they don't actually test ride the bikes upon repair.

Anyway. More waiting and a new motor. Rode well for a week the flashing lights and jerking started again.

I tried to reject the bike numerous times but was shunned.

In the end I threatened legal action and eventually got a full refund.

Never again.

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
I have about 1700 miles on my reign e+2 bought last May. I had one issue with speed magnet on rear dislodged and shower speed senor error. Glued it on no problem since.

Every manufacturer has issues how they resolve them is paramount.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Giant makes great looking and quality E-bikes for sure. I bought a Giant Explorer in 2022. A 2021 E2 GTS brand new, but as a demo with 17 miles on it. A great machine and was a 28 mph model. But it was a hard tail and when I read in this forum that Giant does not allow their warranty to be transferred to another owner . . . That totally pissed me off for a company as big as Giant to have a policy like that. I said screw Giant and I wanted a FS anyway but it was not going to be another Giant, so I went out and bought a 2022 Trek Powerfly FS and threw the GIant on Craigs List and it sold a few months later to a guy in the next town over from me.. I told the seller “don’t register it” if you have any problems within the warranty period, just call me and I’ll wheel it into a Giant store with my sales receipt and they will repair it.

From keeping up with the threads here there are way too many complaints with especially their crappy warranty service. Bad enough they have complaints with cracking frames. Too bad to because I found their Yamaha motor was high torque and snappy and relatively quiet.

IMO, I ”moved up” to a Bosch motor which is on both my Powerflys FS’s and Trek’s customer service on the phone and in their company store has been outstanding.

Sorry to read all the grief the OP had, but from what I read in these threads over the past two years this is an ongoing systemic problem with the Giant’s customer service. I would never buy another Giant especially not being able to transfer their warranty to another owner.

This forum‘s postings lean heavily (around 75%) to the Specialized owners, yet from what I’ve read regarding Specialized‘s
customer service, they appear to fall over backwards to make issues right for their customers.

Of the big 3 . . . Giant, Trek and Specialized . . . Giant appears to have consistently the worst customer service.

Last edited:

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I have about 1700 miles on my reign e+2 bought last May. I had one issue with speed magnet on rear dislodged and shower speed senor error. Glued it on no problem since.

Every manufacturer has issues how they resolve them is paramount.
That is exactly right. Most bikes have issues. Specialized have fantastic support and, even though the Brose motors are absolutely dreadful, Spesh sell zillions of bikes because people have the confidence that problems will be sorted.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
With Giant, I've had issues with my bike, my wife's bike and two of my friends bikes, and every time it was a dreadful fight to get a solution, and I didn't even always get that. For one of the bikes I just gave up and bought a motor, when what I really should have done was go legal.

It's because people don't bother going legal that Giant keep getting away with it, which is why I take every opportunity to dissuade people from buying a Giant and suffering the same dreadful experience that we have had.

Feb 27, 2023
Teesside UK
After seeing things like this I made sure I paid for my bike on a Credit Card and then paid it off. It gives me the extra comfort that If I have a big problem they will sort it for me with the shop.

Was looking at a Giant before I got the Orbea Wild, which touch wood has been faultless.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Very sorry to hear of people having bad experiences, Giant or others...

I have owned 7 Giant bikes (including family) most way longer than 2 years. I did have some warranty claims over the years, but was always well serviced. I work in computers, I'm not related to Giant nor LBS.

I think the LBS has an important role to play in this, being recognized as a “true” Giant dealer is probably important. I'm sure there are unfortunate horror stories with other manufacturers as well, Giant Canada seem to have their act together, sorry to hear it’s not the case everywhere. 🤨

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Very sorry to hear of people having bad experiences, Giant or others...

I have owned 7 Giant bikes (including family) most way longer than 2 years. I did have some warranty claims over the years, but was always well serviced. I work in computers, I'm not related to Giant nor LBS.

I think the LBS has an important role to play in this, being recognized as a “true” Giant dealer is probably important. I'm sure there are unfortunate horror stories with other manufacturers as well, Giant Canada seem to have their act together, sorry to hear it’s not the case everywhere. 🤨
I think LBS's are still at the mercy of the manufacturers when it comes to warranty claims though. This is why I picked up a 2nd Powerfly used for 1/2 the price of a new one because even after the warranties expire I don't want to wait many weeks of potential down time waiting for a motor or another part on back order. Or waiting in the repair order for it to be installed. I do most of the light stuff myself though.

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
I'm nervous to write, but my experience has also been extremely good with my Giant local bike shop, Velocity 44 in Stirling. I chose Giant based on the bike having the geometry, travel and motor I wanted (well, really wanted Bosch, so number 2 motor), and a local store.

TL : DR - all issues, inc big ones, have been taken care of rapidly and effectively.

In my experience it is important to build a positive relationship with your LBS. in 9 months and 3500kms of Reign E+1 ownership they have warranty replaced a back wheel, replaced through fox my X2 rear shock, and now replaced the motor. For each item they have done, it was as quickly as possible, without fuss, and with great communication.

Notably, motor was 99% fine, but would occasionally throw a speed sensor error (red light 3) and so cut power, usually towards end of long 3-4hr rides. A 3-5minute shut down & restart usually resulted in everything working ok again immediately, but was inconsistent. Shop assumed a speed sensor error, but we agreed that rather than my bike sitting in the shop whilst they waited for replacement parts, better for me to keep riding and they would call when the bits were in so things would be quick.

I had to send photos of the full bike, all around the motor area, and speed sensor. Giant also asked the shop for these when the rear wheel was borked. I guess they want to see that no out of spec stuff has been done to the bike. Note I have changed wheels, brake discs, brakes, bars, stem, saddle, seat post, derailleur, chainring and cranks from original - this presented no issues for them.

Giant then advised shop that actually error was most likely from motor - so the shop got a new one in, I took the bike in and within 4hrs they called for it ready to be picked up. It did take 2 weeks for the motor to be delivered however, which would have been a real pain if the bike was unrideable in the mean time.

I think this is really pretty damn good service, and I keep the staff fuelled with occasional biscuits/brownies as a thank you. I share the complete story as it may be useful to reflect on the process and service received by others from their store and Giant.

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
when I read in this forum that Giant does not allow their warranty to be transferred to another owner . . . That totally pissed me off for a company as big as Giant to have a policy like that. I said screw Giant
I am not a giant fan boi by any stretch, but certainly in the UK this is not the case. Warranty is transferable to 1 additional owner from new.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles