Giant reign 2022 frame cracking

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
I hope they fix the Trance also. I'm waiting for one in august.

2020 Cube 160 rider here

I have given up waiting on the Cube 160 Action Team and my LBS do have Giant Reign's E0 and E1 in stock, in the medium size, which is fine

Having followed this thread regarding the cracked frames, obviously concerned about the Reign so turned my attention to the Trance. Less travel, but thats fine for what i intend to ride. My LBS has an Trance E+1 in at 15% discounted price so very tempted

So when you say you hope they fix the Trance....is there a specific problem with it?

Thanks

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
2020 Cube 160 rider here

I have given up waiting on the Cube 160 Action Team and my LBS do have Giant Reign's E0 and E1 in stock, in the medium size, which is fine

Having followed this thread regarding the cracked frames, obviously concerned about the Reign so turned my attention to the Trance. Less travel, but thats fine for what i intend to ride. My LBS has an Trance E+1 in at 15% discounted price so very tempted

So when you say you hope they fix the Trance....is there a specific problem with it?

Thanks
Just get a reign. No frames have cracked. Any that have the cosmetic cracking, they are replacing. Just whatever you do, don't get a bike with the ep8 motor utter garbage

skorp_jon

Feb 21, 2021
Slovenia
2020 Cube 160 rider here

Thanks

If you check last 12 pages somebody said that his trance has the same problem as reign. I don't know. I will buy trance, because i mostly ride in woods and it's enough for me. I'm sure if there will be a problem with frame, giant will replace it.

page 2 post 51: Trance with crack

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Its a filler and paint issue which they are solving by going to a different welding process. Giant told me in writing it's a problem only with the filler and the bike is safe to ride until the replacement frame comes.
I hope you are right but have seen no evidence that anyone from giant engineering/manufacturing/the factory in Taiwan has actually had a faulty frame sent to them so that it can be stripped. If they had, they would be better placed to provide some evidence that the crack is merely cosmetic, rather than just the wordy reassurances offered.

I am beginning to think based on photos both here on of the Orbea Wild ( ally) that these frames have not in fact been welded in some areas but rather they are male/female joints that are bonded ( ie glued). That would indeed leave a straight line where the 2 sections join and require some form of filler to cover. The key issue for me is that for the filler on that line to separate...in a straight line..it suggests the bond has failed and the 2 sections have slightly separated. Using that technique to join 2 ally tubes is nothing new however. The difference in this case and the case of the seat tube separation on the Orbea Wild is that the join in that area, close to the BB, is subject to torsional stresses, not just compression or stretch.

I like both the Trance and Reign so my comments are not designed to knock either bike but rather to get clarity on what exactly Giant frame manufacture is trying in terms of supposed new techniques, and its impact on those that buy these bikes. Giant after all make frames for a variety of well known brands not just their own. A short time ago Lappiere also announced a complete recall for one of their bikes.

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
Just been for a ride with another friend on both the reign and the range vlt c1.
Have done many while I have both bikes and waiting for replacement frame to sell the giant. My goal is convert as many friends to eeb as possible during this time.

The reign has the following upgrades
Fr560 in hope pro 4 hubs
Hope cranks
Hope carbon bars
Hope 30mm stem
KS levo 200mm dropper
Dhx2 coil rear shock
750wh battery

The reign is the inferior bike after going back to back in the following ways and everyone who has been riding with me agrees.

It's noisier, rattles Alot.
Motor noisier
The rear suspension is less active
It's less playful
It generally feels like a cheaper bike even with all the top tier components that have been fitted.

I will say though that back to back the reign has more power and better range and in this area its superior!
Like Alot better Range!
Often when riding both bikes with friends the giant will have 30 percent left when the Norco is about to die and they are both have 750 wh batteries. This is disappointing.

Also the giant is great value, and still very capable so if you've got a limit to your spending then it's hard to beat for money spent.
I think we all agree the Shimano motor is inferior as is the integration with the bike
At least this can be rectified for longer rides by the available 900wh battery but obviously this won't do any good for the handling.
It does feel better though with a more natural feel.
I will add that I thought the giant was amazing until riding the Norco so dont expect anyone to agree and not intending to offend anyone in any way.
Just my observations and purely to help anyone who has lost faith and may be looking elsewhere after having to deal with warranty issues.
Even though it is being said the crack is cosmetic the bike rattled like fuck and its unsettling to say the least given my crack now goes right around from edge to edge now. . Jump on the Norco and....... Silence........

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
Just been for a ride with another friend on both the reign and the range vlt c1.
Have done many while I have both bikes and waiting for replacement frame to sell the giant. My goal is convert as many friends to eeb as possible during this time.

Fr560 in hope pro 4 hubs
Hope cranks
Hope carbon bars
Hope 30mm stem
KS levo 200mm dropper
Dhx2 coil rear shock
750wh battery

The reign is the inferior bike after going back to back in the following ways and everyone who has been riding with me agrees.

Motor noisier
It's less playful
It generally feels like a cheaper bike even with all the top tier components that have been fitted.

I will say though that back to back the reign has more power and better range and in this area its superior!
Like Alot better Range!
Often when riding both bikes with friends the giant will have 30 percent left when the Norco is about to die and they are both have 750 wh batteries. This is disappointing.

Also the giant is great value, and still very capable so if you've got a limit to your spending then it's hard to beat for money spent.
I think we all agree the Shimano motor is inferior as is the integration with the bike
At least this can be rectified for longer rides by the available 900wh battery but obviously this won't do any good for the handling.
I will add that I thought the giant was amazing until riding the Norco so dont expect anyone to agree and not intending to offend anyone in any way.
Just my observations and purely to help anyone who has lost faith and may be looking elsewhere after having to deal with warranty issues.
Even though it is being said the crack is cosmetic the bike rattled like fuck and its unsettling to say the least given my crack now goes right around from edge to edge now. . Jump on the Norco and....... Silence........
Not really sure what you saying here?
the reign is no good and the not o is better?
It just reads that you are saying the reign is a better bike? But then it doesn’t??

Chuggz

Dec 13, 2019
Australia

Fr560 in hope pro 4 hubs
Hope cranks
Hope carbon bars
Hope 30mm stem
KS levo 200mm dropper
Dhx2 coil rear shock
750wh battery

Motor noisier
It's less playful

Like Alot better Range!

Interesting thoughts mate! any chance of seeing a pic of how far around the line actually goes now?
It’s funny I know a guy who had the same norco and his frame actually broke! He ended up selling it on once fixed

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham

Fr560 in hope pro 4 hubs
Hope cranks
Hope carbon bars
Hope 30mm stem
KS levo 200mm dropper
Dhx2 coil rear shock
750wh battery

Motor noisier
It's less playful

Like Alot better Range!

Get your friend to take his bike back if it rattles mine certainly doesn,t and the motors quiet too its the code r,s that make all the noise

Garybee

Feb 4, 2022
Vancouver BC

I can understand why your frustrated with the warranty process as I was as well, however it does not sound like your Reign is working normally. My Reign E+1 rattled until I tightened the lower shock bolt up so you could check that. It loosened a second time so I used a stronger Loctite and its now fine.

The lower shock bolt coming loose has happened with two of my three Reigns and my friends Trance, so I am wondering how common it is

Last edited:

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
Not really sure what you saying here?
the reign is no good and the not o is better?
It just reads that you are saying the reign is a better bike? But then it doesn’t??
I am just saying the I think the Yamaha is the better system.
The overall quality of the bike is not great however.
I've spent Alot on my reign to get it to ride better but it still feels cheap and noisy and harsh riding when compared to another bike.
The reign is however a good bike "for the money".
The Norco was almost double the price so expect it to be better handling and it is.
Again not intending to wind anyone up just sharing my thoughts and experience.

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
Every single person that's ridden both bikes disagrees.
I still think the frame is cracked and making the noise.
My crack has a noticible step in it.
We'll never know as I'm not keen to void my warranty by digging.my crack is significantly worse than any other I've seen.

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
Ive ridden both. Rode many ebikes before buying. Bought the reign as for me it was the best. Local off piste is very twisty and natural, but I love going to bike parks every week. It does both extremely well
I agree it does, it's a great bike with a great motor. Take my opinion as just that, it's my opinion that just happens to be backed up by all my friends that have ridden both.
Personally I'll probably have another bike in a few months as I change bikes constantly. My opinions are not based on one ride they are based on ownership when you get a chance to adjust your style to the the bike to extract the best out-of it. And who knows maybe this is or the next bike will suffer a warranty issue although there doesn't seem to be anything I can find.
This is the search result for the "norco crack"

Screenshot_20220711-074502_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
They will all do it at one point in time! Giant are just keeping quite about this!! Not good
Can I ask what isn't good? They seem to be sorting it very quickly (my name frame comes next week) and you can use it in the mean time. I mean it's not great it's happened in the first place but it's not.stopping me riding or causing much hassle. Plus I get a new frame.woth less scratches again 🤣

Ride.dm123

May 22, 2022
North wales
Can I ask what isn't good? They seem to be sorting it very quickly (my name frame comes next week) and you can use it in the mean time. I mean it's not great it's happened in the first place but it's not.stopping me riding or causing much hassle. Plus I get a new frame.woth less scratches again 🤣
Not good on giants half! They should have built better frames! I’m not bothered as you say we get a new frame!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles