• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Gen3 Levo de-restricting - Only recording half the distance with de restrictor

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I have a derestrictor fitted and today my ride distance was half what it should be. Is this normal?

Last edited:

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I’ve just looked at my previous rides with the de restrictor fitted and the distance looks correct.
So. It sure what’s happened to half the distance?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
As it is effectively telling the motor you are going half the speed, it will then of course half the distance. This is commonly known with de- restrictors. It's like telling the electronics you have a wheel half the circumference. I think thats right🧐

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Ah yeah. That makes sense. Also just realised all other rides were recorded with Garmin, today was my first time recording with Mission control. Won’t be doing that again…

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So hopefully you maintain a log of the correct distance covered...........or when you sell the bike you will be selling one with a clocked ODO......and comparing battery charge cycles with total mileage is a giveaway.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
So hopefully you maintain a log of the correct distance covered...........or when you sell the bike you will be selling one with a clocked ODO......and comparing battery charge cycles with total mileage is a giveaway.
Just tell the buyer you used it in Turbo mode all the time😀 ( I wouldn't do that btw)

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
This is what's holding me back from getting a derestricting device, I've been informed by levociraptor that despite the gen3 mastermind control isn't able to connect with the BLEvo so the speed and odometer can be recalibrated, it can be corrected via Levociraptors own app or so 99% certain they say?
Somehow I don't quite believe this given what I keep hearing elsewhere.
Can someone who's fitted one on a gen3 with the new mastermind TCU confirm this or if at all there's one out there that doesn't alter the speed and odometer. Even the plannet3 device says it doesn't alter the speed but given how it works and tricks the bike into thinking its going 3 times slower, then surely it has to alter the speedo and milage?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Sshhhh there is no such thing as the <insert bike shop name here> derestrictor.
As one day these brilliantly helpful bike shops may be less brilliant and helpful if they get into trouble.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not sure if this one does it differently :

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Sshhhh there is no such thing as the <insert bike shop name here> derestrictor.
As one day these brilliantly helpful bike shops may be less brilliant and helpful if they get into trouble.
Lol. Post edited just in case you are serious :)

mvdh

Jan 1, 2022
Belgium
This is what's holding me back from getting a derestricting device, I've been informed by levociraptor that despite the gen3 mastermind control isn't able to connect with the BLEvo so the speed and odometer can be recalibrated, it can be corrected via Levociraptors own app or so 99% certain they say?
Somehow I don't quite believe this given what I keep hearing elsewhere.
Can someone who's fitted one on a gen3 with the new mastermind TCU confirm this or if at all there's one out there that doesn't alter the speed and odometer. Even the plannet3 device says it doesn't alter the speed but given how it works and tricks the bike into thinking its going 3 times slower, then surely it has to alter the speedo and milage?

did you get confirmation somewhere that you can get the correct speed with the levociraptors? Planet3 gives the wrong speed(speed/3).

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
did you get confirmation somewhere that you can get the correct speed with the levociraptors? Planet3 gives the wrong speed(speed/3).

Yeah I heard back and unfortunately it won't display the correct speed nor milage, it will read lower. To compensate you have to alter the wheel size which you can't do on the levociraptor app.

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
@Repsol you can get the de-restricted, it makes a world of difference.

I was considering this but not after what I was told yesterday by the dealer, at the moment they have my bike and are running tests. The dealer only had limited capacity on what they can alter, the bike was hooked up so both the dealer and specilized could look at it the same time, it tells them absolutely everything, from when you've charged it, disconnected anything, where you've been, the lot. So fitting a derestricting device will definitely void the warranty as they will be able to see you've disconnected cabling, they'll even know the speed it's traveling at, don't know how much this is true but that's what I was told.
The dealerships can't see everything due to potential overriding of speed restrictions falling into the wrong hands but once its hooked up to specilized themselves, they can see everything, seems very similar to car dealerships and the car manufacturer in what they can do.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
I was considering this but not after what I was told yesterday by the dealer, at the moment they have my bike and are running tests. The dealer only had limited capacity on what they can alter, the bike was hooked up so both the dealer and specilized could look at it the same time, it tells them absolutely everything, from when you've charged it, disconnected anything, where you've been, the lot. So fitting a derestricting device will definitely void the warranty as they will be able to see you've disconnected cabling, they'll even know the speed it's traveling at, don't know how much this is true but that's what I was told.
The dealerships can't see everything due to potential overriding of speed restrictions falling into the wrong hands but once its hooked up to specilized themselves, they can see everything, seems very similar to car dealerships and the car manufacturer in what they can do.
As the bike do not have a GPS sensor(or at least, I don't think it does), you would potentially be able to do the following:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles