GARY

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Came across as a colossal bellend and was blocked ages ago
He didn't show as blocked/banned/removed.

I quite liked him.

I think most of us can easily come across as colossal bellends on a forum because the reader interprets the way they think something is written.

With someone like Gary, he was very direct. Gave you an answer, gave you facts and wasn't particularly bothered if you didn't agree. Too many people get upset if they don't feel they've been replied to respectfully. It's a forum, some people are in a hurry, some people are on a phone, some people are just naturally blunt. We don't have to respond, we don't even need to take any notice of what someone says if we don't like it.

He did have an amazing ability to wind people up though ! 😆

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
He is certainly an acquired taste.

His delivery was off-putting, but the thing is, he was seldom wrong. He knows his subject matter and as far as I know he can actually deliver the goods on the trails.

@Gary where are you man, it seems you are missed.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have to admit, I agree with a lot of what he has to say. Sometimes I wish I had the ability to be so direct.
It was certainly entertaining watching him wind people up!

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
He enjoyed winding people up.
It was clearly his prime motivation.
His supposed wealth of knowledge can be replaced with Google.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I miss Gary, he did piss people off with his bluntness but he had alot of knowledge which is sometimes lacking with responses to peoples questions on here.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
He is certainly an acquired taste.

His delivery was off-putting, but the thing is, he was seldom wrong. He knows his subject matter and as far as I know he can actually deliver the goods on the trails.

@Gary where are you man, it seems you are missed.
That's a false equivalence. The logical end point of this line of reasoning is that Peter Sutcliffe was a good lorry driver.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
If that's the case, why do the same questions keep popping up, over and over again?

Because it's a forum and people maybe just want to have a friendly conversation and maybe get a simple answer and some encouragement at the same time? Isn't that the intent of a forum?
...or should a newbie be ridiculed for innocently asking a question certain experts deem obvious?
If you can't say something nice....

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That's a false equivalence. The logical end point of this line of reasoning is that Peter Sutcliffe was a good lorry driver.
Well, if you want to know how to become a serial killer, I suppose it's best to ask an expert, but otherwise it's a false equivalence.
Because it's a forum and people maybe just want to have a friendly conversation and maybe get a simple answer and some encouragement at the same time? Isn't that the intent of a forum?
Nowt wrong with a friendly conversation, but most of the time Gary put people's backs up because they didn't like the content of the answer as much as the delivery.

For example, how many pedal strike threads do we get where people seem to want a magic bullet solution and get huffy when they get told to get better?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
He vanished off STW & turned up on here. I liked the guy. He was direct but knew his stuff as others said not best way of putting things across sometimes

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
F5F97186-871A-4CD0-B234-32DF01D40494.jpeg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Well, if you want to know how to become a serial killer, I suppose it's best to ask an expert, but otherwise it's a false equivalence.
Not though is it. Being good at bikes doesn't constitute a free pass for being an obnoxious w*nker and the banter catch all is piss weak fragile masculinity bollocks. I couldn't give a toss who thinks what about someone but He folded like a sheet of paper if you clapped back at him which is more telling than any amount of retrospective legend building from his internet pals.

Bantz innit.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
He enjoyed winding people up.
It was clearly his prime motivation.
His supposed wealth of knowledge can be replaced with Google.
I disagree. There have definitely been people on here in the past who's prime motivation was to upset people for their own twisted benefits.

From what I saw, Gary's prime motivation to be here was the same as the rest of us ? The share information, help people, find new information, have a laugh/enjoy it at the same time ?

The difference being that he knew more than most and therefore ultimately answered more questions than most - by a vast margin. Not every answer to every question will be relevant for someone's experience/situation - it's for the person asking to decide that and filter out responses which are relevant or provide more information if not. Just because someone says something you disagree with doesn't mean they're an asshole or that they're wrong.

It's easy to be a fly on the wall and disagree with and find fault with anyone's views.

I can't deny that his "delivery" often lacked tact. But this isn't the Samaritans or the cancer help line. I was shot down plenty of times for being incorrect, it doesn't mean I didn't still appreciate the time he took to answer questions and share knowledge, or dislike the fact he didn't sugar coat telling me I was a moron (ok, it didn't make me feel all warm inside :) but when you're a moron, you're a moron).

As much as forums are great, one huge downside will always be how you feel about a person - it will influence how you interpret what they say.

That might mean that people appear blunt, seemingly judgemental or arrogant in their view or seem like they don't care - because they're not there in real life. Maybe they are, maybe they're not. At the same time it's easy to be arrogant and judgemental about how you see someone - "I don't like them, they're an asshole" - in reality, you don't know them either.

I suspect for most people on here, when/if you met another member in real life - even if you didn't like them here - if you didn't know who they were you probably wouldn't recognise them and you'd most likely get on with them because a physical or verbal conversation will always be completely different to a written one.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
From what I saw, Gary's prime motivation to be here was the same as the rest of us ? The share information, help people, find new information, have a laugh/enjoy it at the same time ?
From what I could see Gary's prime motivation was to show himself to be superior to other people, a common trait in people with an inferiority complex.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
From what I could see Gary's prime motivation was to show himself to be superior to other people, a common trait in people with an inferiority complex.
So a superiority complex is a defense mechanism for people with an inferiority complex ..what kind of complex do you have if you sit midway between the two ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles