Garmin Watch and Bosch motor don't play nicely together?

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Hey all, have a Bosch CX powered eeB and it seems the software/hardware/? doesn't want to play nicely with my Garmin Fenix watch. Has anyone gotten it to work? Is there some additional update or app to use? Thx

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
@jxrx
What functionality are you looking for?
Unsure what’s possible to be honest, just know from mates with Garmins that they're connecting to their Shimano motors/controllers and getting additional info. This is my first eBike so I'm in the dark as to what additional data the connection might be able to 1) display on my Garmin Fenix watch while riding and 2) load into the data that gets stored on Garmin Connect activity.

I do enjoy looking at data and stats and looking for patterns on how to improve things etc. so if I can get more data then I typically will try to do so.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Unsure what’s possible to be honest, just know from mates with Garmins that they're connecting to their Shimano motors/controllers and getting additional info. This is my first eBike so I'm in the dark as to what additional data the connection might be able to 1) display on my Garmin Fenix watch while riding and 2) load into the data that gets stored on Garmin Connect activity.

I do enjoy looking at data and stats and looking for patterns on how to improve things etc. so if I can get more data then I typically will try to do so.

I’m pretty sure there is no integration between Bosch motors and Garmin devices. It’s something that’s been discussed on here for years but never seen an actual solution

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
I’m pretty sure there is no integration between Bosch motors and Garmin devices. It’s something that’s been discussed on here for years but never seen an actual solution
Ok thanks. It’s not a must have but it’s new to me and thought to ask. Wasn’t sure if anything changed with the latest versions.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
it's not about garmin, but just about Ant+ / BLE protocol.
which is supported by most/all sports devices, and for example by Specialized system as well.

shep

Nov 4, 2023
In a field
it's not about garmin, but just about Ant+ / BLE protocol.
which is supported by most/all sports devices, and for example by Specialized system as well.
Nah daft zee Germans want to control the way their equipment is used ....

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Bosch eBike is a closed system, very similar to Apple.

Bosch interacts only with Bosch soft- and hardware. This is a known fact and I can’t see a change to that policy coming any time soon.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Bosch eBike is a closed system, very similar to Apple.

Bosch interacts only with Bosch soft- and hardware. This is a known fact and I can’t see a change to that policy coming any time soon.
For sure they want to sell their head units not let people use their phones or Garmin units. All good I don’t need nor will I ever buy a head unit tied to one brand

Bman

Mar 12, 2021
Dallas, TX
yep. just another case where Bosch doesn't know too much about real users' needs
What does a “real” user need? I have 2 bikes with Bosch motors that I “real” use the shit out of and don’t need any kind of head unit. They both have mode and battery remaining displays and that’s all I need from it. Use my Garmin 835 for everything else.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
2) load into the data that gets stored on Garmin Connect activity.
If you only want to load data from your rides to Garmin Connect, then that is possible. I do that with all of my rides on a regular basis.

You will need to track your activity with the Bosch Flow app on your smartphone. Once configured correctly tracking will start automatically as soon as you start riding.
After the ride you will have to export the data from the Flow app as .fit file.
In the next step above file can be imported into Garmin Connect.
Once in Connect you will see the track, elevation, speed, cadence, rider power, calories and a few summaries. Unfortunately heart rate is a challenge. Just recently Bosch added the capability to include heart rate from an Apple watch. To date there are no Garmin devices or heart rate straps supported.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
If you only want to load data from your rides to Garmin Connect, then that is possible. I do that with all of my rides on a regular basis.

You will need to track your activity with the Bosch Flow app on your smartphone. Once configured correctly tracking will start automatically as soon as you start riding.
After the ride you will have to export the data from the Flow app as .fit file.
In the next step above file can be imported into Garmin Connect.
Once in Connect you will see the track, elevation, speed, cadence, rider power, calories and a few summaries. Unfortunately heart rate is a challenge. Just recently Bosch added the capability to include heart rate from an Apple watch. To date there are no Garmin devices or heart rate straps supported.
Cool thanks for the detailed response. HR is more important to me than the power modes etc. so will skip the Bosch app for now I think. Cheers

N.R.G.

Nov 17, 2022
Hampshire
Garmin watch with Wahoo and stock Bosch screen , all the info you need

IMG_20220720_102937.jpg

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
I would be content with using my garmin cycling computer IF I could get the power reading to it from the motor.

Or I would be content on using the Kiox display IF i could get gps tracking, heart rate and be able to upload it to Garmin Connect or Strava.

Seems like the only solution to get what I want is to use a smartphone as display and recording device. I´m not so keen on using a smartphone for it.

Reactions: rzr

mtnbikerva1

Mar 19, 2022
Mid-Atlantic
Yes it is disappointing that BOSCH doesn’t integrate with GARMIN. I have a new PIVOT ALL MOUNTAIN with the Bosch CX race motor on its way. I just assumed that it would in a great with Garmin.
I mean, it’s not like Garmin is some crappy unheard of unused product and system. It is as far as I know by far the largest and most widely used at least consumer system. It is an aviation, automotive, cycling, fishing, military, hunting, golf, Moto, SXS, You name it it’s being used

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
I would be content with using my garmin cycling computer IF I could get the power reading to it from the motor.
I was always wondering why nobody came up with an IQ app for Garmin to record the data from Bosch motors. This makes me believe that Bosch have done a good job to obscure/encrypt the data or that it is only transmitted over the CAN bus.

Or I would be content on using the Kiox display IF i could get gps tracking, heart rate and be able to upload it to Garmin Connect or Strava.
For the time being you need an Apple watch to provide the heart rate. The complete recording can be automatically synched to Strava after each ride, but needs manual export/import to Garmin Connect.

Seems like the only solution to get what I want is to use a smartphone as display and recording device. I´m not so keen on using a smartphone for it.
The recording can be done while the smartphone is in your backpack or pocket. No need to have it exposed on the handlebar.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I mean, it’s not like Garmin is some crappy unheard of unused product and system. It is as far as I know by far the largest and most widely used at least consumer system. It is an aviation, automotive, cycling, fishing, military, hunting, golf, Moto, SXS, You name it it’s being used
Garmin is a decent size player but its the 4th largest smartwatch brand by market share behind Apple, Samsung & Huawei.

Makes sense for Bosch to include Apple watch first as Apple sells about 300% more watches than Garmin every year.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Its a shame, for both garmin and bosch, that such big players on the bike market could not yet come to an agreement.
Its ridiculous that I can pair a kiox to almost any heart rate meter, but not to a precise altitude sensor or gps like garmin.

pinoymamba

Nov 26, 2023
USA

This is all I want for Christmas....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles