Gamin edge 830 vs Kiox

js71

May 17, 2021
NW Georgia
Hello all. I have had my Rail for about a year now and I never pay attention to the Kiox display. I’ve always just used my Garmin 830 for recording rides. I’m wondering why now. How is the accuracy on the Bosch Kiox unit? I’m gonna try it a while without the Garmin. Any thoughts or experience will be appreciated.

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain
I was using the kiox to track my rides before I bought the Fenix 6x pro. Speed and distance read correctly but I had a huge discrepancy on altitude. For instance, I would do a ride with 800 m climb and the kiox would report 1600 m. From what I understand, it largely depends on the accuracy of your phone's GPS data. I'm using a Samsung, not sure if iPhone os is more accurate.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I stopped using the garmin 130 when began riding an eMTB so I can’t comment on the accuracy of the garmin gps. I now use Strava and the Kiox. I use Strava because the maps seem more complete and more accurate, for this area, then any other gps mapping. I’ve tried a number of different types and settled for Strava and then the Kiox. The Kiox is fine for certain things; Mode, Speed etc. The distance travelled and mapping rarely compares to other bikes (when on the same ride). There is too much of a discrepancy which leads me to believe that there could be some inaccuracies. On the other hand …when comparing Strava routes, distance travelled and speed, with other riders on the exact same route, at the same time, the comparisons in Strava information is very close or almost the same.
Kiox uses Komoot also but I rarely refer to Komoot. Trail Forks is another mapping system, but again I find it incomplete or it doesn’t have all my needs (heart, elevation etc).
I hate to say that I’m a fanboy of Strava, but it does check a few more boxes.
I don’t map-out my rides so I may use the information differently. My destination depends on …(can’t think of anything right now). 🤔

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain
I stopped using the garmin 130 when began riding an eMTB so I can’t comment on the accuracy of the garmin gps. I now use Strava and the Kiox. I use Strava because the maps seem more complete and more accurate, for this area, then any other gps mapping. I’ve tried a number of different types and settled for Strava and then the Kiox. The Kiox is fine for certain things; Mode, Speed etc. The distance travelled and mapping rarely compares to other bikes (when on the same ride). There is too much of a discrepancy which leads me to believe that there could be some inaccuracies. On the other hand …when comparing Strava routes, distance travelled and speed, with other riders on the exact same route, at the same time, the comparisons in Strava information is very close or almost the same.
Kiox uses Komoot also but I rarely refer to Komoot. Trail Forks is another mapping system, but again I find it incomplete or it doesn’t have all my needs (heart, elevation etc).
I hate to say that I’m a fanboy of Strava, but it does check a few more boxes.
I don’t map-out my rides so I may use the information differently. My destination depends on …(can’t think of anything right now). 🤔
Yes, I'm also a bit of a fanboy of Strava heat maps! I've discovered a lot of obscure trails not visible on trailforks, etc. I usually plan routes on Strava, export the gpx file to ebike connect app and follow the simple blue line on my kiox. I'm still learning my way around my new home here in Spain and every ride I hit a few new trails so mapping and the minimalist GPS guidance is very useful.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles