Full suspension mtb advice

Neilyoungnz

Jul 27, 2020
Auckland
Hi

I'm looking to purchase my first full suspension MTB.

My budget is a max of around $4k nz. Looking for a good all rounder in 27.5. Don't really do much in the way of jumps just a general trail bike

Ive narrowed my search to the bikes below and listed the prices I can get them for. Would be really good to get some opinions. Happy to get the cheaper one if the differences in specs aren't enormous.

These are all 2020 models

Trek remedy 7 $3,499
Trek remedy 8 $3,999
Giant reign 2 $3,399
Giant trance 2 $3,399
Marin Alpine Trail 8 $4,399

Thanks for your help!

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
This is primarily a site for electric mountain bikes. You will get more responses on an ordinary mountain bike forum like bikeradar or mtbr or mbr.

Any responses you get here are more likely to be along the lines of why aren't you buying electric. :)

Al

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Hi

My budget is a max of around $4k nz. Looking for a good all rounder in 27.5. Don't really do much in the way of jumps just a general trail bike

Ive narrowed my search to the bikes below and listed the prices I can get them for. Would be really good to get some opinions. Happy to get the cheaper one if the differences in specs aren't enormous.

Trek remedy 7 $3,499
Trek remedy 8 $3,999
Giant reign 2 $3,399
Giant trance 2 $3,399

Thanks for your help!
A fellow Kiwi! I like your taste in music :cool: If you were in Christchurch I'd be tempted to offer you my 2017 Trek Remedy 7.
But as to your choices:
The Giant Trance and the Marin are both proper trail bikes. Lighter, slightly steeper geometry, good climbers, great all-rounders. The Giant has better drivetrain than the Marin, but the Marin has better suspension, with longer travel. Both kinda similar, very good bikes.
The Remedys and the Reign are more enduro bikes, more downhill oriented (more stable and confidence-inspiring at speed downhill), but will still climb quite well. They are a bit heavier, beefier, burlier, longer travel (although the Marin matches them for fork travel at 170mm)
The Reign and the Remedy 8 are similar but the Remedy has better suspension and drivetrain and is the one I would choose personally, the Remedy 7 has pretty average suspension but the same frame as the Remedy 8. The 8 is worth the extra spend over the 7

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Geez, I would have thought the marin is the obvious choice for what you're asking - good reviews too. You know it's a 29er though?

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Geez, I would have thought the marin is the obvious choice for what you're asking - good reviews too. You know it's a 29er though?
Yes it's a 29er, I didn't pick up on that! I agree though the Marin is the best choice out of that group as a pure trail bike.

Neilyoungnz

Jul 27, 2020
Auckland
A fellow Kiwi! I like your taste in music :cool: If you were in Christchurch I'd be tempted to offer you my 2017 Trek Remedy 7.
But as to your choices:
The Giant Trance and the Marin are both proper trail bikes. Lighter, slightly steeper geometry, good climbers, great all-rounders. The Giant has better drivetrain than the Marin, but the Marin has better suspension, with longer travel. Both kinda similar, very good bikes.
The Remedys and the Reign are more enduro bikes, more downhill oriented (more stable and confidence-inspiring at speed downhill), but will still climb quite well. They are a bit heavier, beefier, burlier, longer travel (although the Marin matches them for fork travel at 170mm)
The Reign and the Remedy 8 are similar but the Remedy has better suspension and drivetrain and is the one I would choose personally, the Remedy 7 has pretty average suspension but the same frame as the Remedy 8. The 8 is worth the extra spend over the 7
Thanks Philly

Not only am I a Neil Young fan but it is also my name!

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Thanks for all of your great advice. I've decided I won't get any mountain bike but will run around woodhill whilst dragging a dead cow.
Have you narrowed down your choices at all? Which bike do you think you'll get? Your name is actually the best thing ever, btw :cool:

olde-mtber

Nov 1, 2019
New Zealand
Hi

Trek remedy 7 $3,499
Trek remedy 8 $3,999
Giant reign 2 $3,399
Giant trance 2 $3,399

Thanks for your help!
I would go for the Trek Remedy 8 as that is what I would have gone for when I upgraded my 2014 Trek X-Calibre but because of health issues I bought a Trek Powerfly FS5 instead. I've ridden Trek for 6 years now and have had no problems with them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles