Which full suspension

Mp31

May 14, 2021
Dorset
Hey I'm looking for a new ebike, I currently have the Focus jam 2017 in medium.

I know there is very little stock around so its a bit limited. What does everyone think is the best bike for around 4.5k?

Choices so far

Haibike all mtn 3 or 4 - which is in stock and looks good and possibly local

Focus jam2 which I can't seem to find any.

Cube stereo - less keen on the cube bike but they are in stock and local

Trek rail 5 looks good but not sure there is any around.

Any other suggestions or thoughts which is the best option. I want it more downhill oriented I find my Focus a bit nicer than the Cube stereo 140 I have ridden.

Many thanks

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I don't think there is such a thing as a "best bike" but to add to your list you might consider Orbea. I have an Orbea Wild FS H20 bought last September which is very good and much better on the down hills than my Trek Powerfly which was what I started out on. It was retailing in Leisure Lakes for £5400 but I got mine from Bikester in Germany for £3995. It has Shimano and Fox components with 160mm of travel.

After a lot of research I considered this the best specced and value bike for me and my personal requirements, which were similar to yours, at the time.

Al

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I set myself the same budget, £4.5k when I was looking for a full suss. Went for the Allmtn 4 as it was the only bike in stock and don’t regret it at all. Brilliant bike. A little heavier (26kg) than others but the weight doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Another option is the Vitus E-Sommet which stock does seem to get released on a fairly regular basis, but it’s an online only bike so no support from a local bike shop

Mp31

May 14, 2021
Dorset
I don't think there is such a thing as a "best bike" but to add to your list you might consider Orbea. I have an Orbea Wild FS H20 bought last September which is very good and much better on the down hills than my Trek Powerfly which was what I started out on. It was retailing in Leisure Lakes for £5400 but I got mine from Bikester in Germany for £3995. It has Shimano and Fox components with 160mm of travel.

After a lot of research I considered this the best specced and value bike for me and my personal requirements, which were similar to yours, at the time.

Al
I really like the look of the orbea but the only in stock in my price range and size has the 500w not 625 battery. Which isn't ideal. Although maybe it makes it lighter which could be good for my other half.

Mp31

May 14, 2021
Dorset
I set myself the same budget, £4.5k when I was looking for a full suss. Went for the Allmtn 4 as it was the only bike in stock and don’t regret it at all. Brilliant bike. A little heavier (26kg) than others but the weight doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Another option is the Vitus E-Sommet which stock does seem to get released on a fairly regular basis, but it’s an online only bike so no support from a local bike shop
I didnt notice the weight, they don't make that clear when looking.

I will look at the vitus.

Thanks

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Take a look at some of the Merida bikes - e140/e160 ranges as they should fall in your price range - about 24Kg, 625Wh battery (except XS size and some of the lower e140s). Shimano EP8 motor which is appearing to be not too bad...

e160 500 - £4600 or save a few quid and get the e140 500 at £4400.

Last edited:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I really like the look of the orbea but the only in stock in my price range and size has the 500w not 625 battery. Which isn't ideal. Although maybe it makes it lighter which could be good for my other half.
I would be inclined to investigate how much difference this would make in practice. I ride mostly downhill at FOD, usually racking up between 15 and 35 miles and have never got below 2 bars showing. I have to admit though that if I was riding the cross country trails in the Brecon Beacons like I used to do I would feel more comfortable with more battery life. Having said that it would probably be more than 625w I would want.

I tried an SL at the time but that did not give me enough assistance. Apart from lifting the bike into and out of the car I'm not sure that weight matters that much.

Al

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I would be inclined to investigate how much difference this would make in practice. I ride mostly downhill at FOD, usually racking up between 15 and 35 miles. I usually leave with at least 2 bars showing. I have to admit though that if I was riding the cross country trails in the Brecon Beacons like I used to do I would feel more comfortable with more battery life. Having said that it would probably be more than 625w I would want.

I tried an SL at the time but that did not give me enough assistance. Apart from lifting the bike into and out of the car I'm not sure that weight matters that much.

Al

On the flip side of that, most of my rides are around 30-35 miles on a 625 battery and I only finish as my battery is down to the last bar and showing a range of a couple of miles. Ride XC / trails / downhill, bit of everything

Dashfield

May 11, 2021
Bristol, UK
Not necessarily downhill orientated but the Giant Trance X E+ Pro 29 3 is close to your price range at £4699. It has a flip-chip so you can make it a bit slacker.

Good motor and battery and local dealer support. When I spoke to my dealer yesterday the wait time wasn’t that long for a new one.

Might not be right but I thought worth throwing into the mix. I’m looking for something around the same budget and it’s on my list.

In case you haven’t used it already the website 99spokes is really handy for comparing bikes and their spec side by side.

Mp31

May 14, 2021
Dorset
Thanks for advice. I think I want the 625 battery as on longer rides definitely need it.

I'll have a look at merida bikes.

Most likely bikes are the Haibike or Cube as they are both stock locally which I would prefer. I will look into others, seems odd to buy it without seeing it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles