Full suspension versus hardtail

Orinoko

Nov 10, 2020
Stroud
Hi,I’m a newbie to to whole emtb life
Which should I go for?
I want to keep it for a while.
Is a Cube action team 140 too much bike for a beginner?
Thanks

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
There's not many 'good' hardtail ebikes on offer. They are mostly aimed at commuter/road use.

Kenisis are one of the few: RISE PRO

If on a budget, the Cube Acid hardtail ebike always looked like good value. Certainly not for the tougher trails, but a good XC/trail bike with scope to upgrade.

Thing is, any emtb will be fairly expensive so going up to a full suss is not much more money. There's some good budget full suss out there too from Decathlon, Vitus etc.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
One point that may be relevant to some is that the Cube SLT hardtails have a 150kg max weight limit which is a lot higher than most ebikes so may be useful if you're a built like the proverbial sh#thouse.

Last edited:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
What style of riding will you be doing? "Mountain biking" covers a whole range of disciplines from riding on forest roads and gravel trails to all out steep, gnarly, rooty, rocky, rough descents with jumps and drops and long cross country rides where you could encounter anything. For all but the relatively easy forest trails I would go full sus. The next question will then be "how much travel" and again this depends on the riding you intend doing. 150mm - 160mm seems to be emerging as a good all round do it all setup.

Al

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Look at the Voodoo Zobop E. You get a lot of goodies you find on much higher priced bikes.
As for fs or ht. If you buy a ht, you'll be thinking 'I'd like a fs'. Buy a fs.

I rode a ht for years, I purchased a fs & I wouldn't go back to a ht.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
You wont be a beginner for long. I racked up 500 hours of seat time in under 2 years. I still suck, but I'm not new at it anymore.

Today by chance trying to make some difficult climbs, I locked the rear end of my trance19, to see if it was better climbing The answer is no, at least today with everything still pretty wet. The rear tire would not stay hooked up. I know there is more to it than that, as my trance is a tank, and needs suspension. A hard tail will certainly play to its advantages, while I simply handicapped the trance.

Looking back, I'm glad I bought a FS bike with a good spec.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Hi,I’m a newbie to to whole emtb life
Which should I go for?
I want to keep it for a while.
Is a Cube action team 140 too much bike for a beginner?
Thanks

I kinda dived in with my first emtb purchase 5 months ago with eyes slightly closed. I had a lump of cash which I didnt think was enough to get me onto a decent full suspension bike. Added to that my lack of understanding of quite where one these emtb's would / could take me AND a thought that I usually ride flatter cleaner surfaces with my children, I opted for a haibike hardtail. I thought that was that.

But fast forward 5 months, I have made many plans to tackle various routes around the UK (ruddy lockdown!) and im kinda wishing I had spent more time soaking up this forum. Now I dont regret my purchase because I love the bike BUT on hindsight I should have (maybe) taken more time and found the extra and got the full suspension bike I wanted.

Just my experience of my own hasty buying scenario.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The simple answer is a full susser is going to be better all day long, however a lot of us still retain a big love for the hardtail, and its a different flavour of riding, and thats the appeal, not so much that about capability but fun.

I have both a hardtail EMTB, and a full suss, the hardtail is still extremely capable, but its a far more brutal riding experience, especially on challenging terrain, and physically takes a lot more out of you. I actually think its a lot harder to ride a hardtail EMTB well, added to the fact that their are very few decent ones out there, more in terms of geometry than anything else.

The main reason for this is that a hardtail EMTB with a full power motor is still going to be a heavy bike, likely over 20kg - now full suspension EMTB's do a great job of hiding the extra weight, but on a hardtail EMTB you really notice it whilst riding, especially over any sort of challenging terrain. So my hardtail EMTB feels a hell of a lot heavier when riding than my full suspension, despite being 2kg lighter

As such the arguments between hardtail and full suspension that may have many valid points on normal bikes, go out the window IMO with an EMTB, as with a normal bike a hardtail may well be lighter and more chuckable, but with an EMTB the opposite is true.

Also my Hardtail EMTB goes through components at a rate of knots, the rear wheel bearings for example take the full weight of 20kg being thrown about, and they dont last that long at all.

Last edited:

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
If I would buy hard tail that would be only 2kg no suspension carbon fiber road bike. The only reason I had no suspension bicycles is I had no money for full suspension bicycle.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
You wont be a beginner for long. I racked up 500 hours of seat time in under 2 years. I still suck, but I'm not new at it anymore.

Today by chance trying to make some difficult climbs, I locked the rear end of my trance19, to see if it was better climbing The answer is no, at least today with everything still pretty wet. The rear tire would not stay hooked up. I know there is more to it than that, as my trance is a tank, and needs suspension. A hard tail will certainly play to its advantages, while I simply handicapped the trance.

Looking back, I'm glad I bought a FS bike with a good spec.
Regarding difficult climbs, I went riding with my son-in-law who's never ridden an eMTB before (he borrowed my wife's eBike). When it came to a tricky climb, the natural tendency is to stand up - the reason for this being (amongst other things) is that we can lay down more power, more torque. He downshifted of course (as you do) but he wasn't prepared or accustomed to the pedal assist because the pedals don't provide a platform resistance to support his weight under his leading foot. He kept losing his balance... or slipping the rear tyre... or both. He couldn't wrap his head around it. So I yelled out to him, "sit down and grind that thing!" He of course would not. About halfway up the climb, I rode alongside him... seated on my Trance 2019 (which is a mountain goat!)... and I said, not only can I do this all day... I can leave you behind too if I wanted to.

We had to climb back up the same summit from the opposite side to get back to the car park. This time he listened, and sat down... and it was like an eye opener to him. That was the first time he said, "hey this really is cheating!" But he never came to that conclusion until then.

You still need to remain dynamic in body positioning - need to move forward - sometimes more, sometimes less... with body language side to side torso movements too... but the idea is to let the motor take over the grunt duty. Your centre of gravity will be lower and so the bike overall is more stable. Like anything, it's a new way of riding and you need to master it... know when to use it and know when not to. And yes - leave the rear suspension active! I recon lock-outs on eBikes rear shocks are pointless.

Same thing happened when an old friend came riding with me and rode an eMTB for the first time. We came up to a really steep climb - with deep zigzag ruts, erratic rocks forming a crazed stairways of sorts, and wet slimy soil. You gotta pick a line (often only as wide as your front tyre) and commit... but next time try doing it while seated. I got all the way up without putting my foot down. Whereas my friend (a former motorcycle enduro rider) had to get off several times.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
FS equivalents are $2500 AUD more.
HT goes everywhere the FS does.
Maybe slower, definitely rougher.
If you have the money, go FS.
If that's too much to spend on eMountainbiking and you have other bills to pay, get a HT.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
This is one of those perennial debates that will surface over and over.

I have a hard tail and, for my average rides, it's perfect. I ride hilly single tracks up and down in the woods and it's fine. Suspension seat post helps.

It's only when I start pushing a bit harder downhill that I begin to wonder if a full sus would be better.

In my opinion, you only need full sus if you're going to be jumping and flying off drops etc.

Would I buy another hard tail? No, but that's only because I'm growing in pace and experience and air time.
I probably only bought the hard tail because I was testing the Eeb water and didn't want to commit too much cash. It was an eBay steal so I took what was available.

For me a big part of this is the kit. My DH ride has many twisty knobs to fiddle with and setting the bike up for conditions is part of the fun. A vote for Full Fat.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Glad we got cheaper hardtails first to learn what ebikes are all about and learn how to fix / maintain them and see if we actually get good use out of them and enjoy them.
It gives us time now to really understand which Full Suspension would suit us in the future and of course gives us something to look forward to. Still quite a way off I would say as we are happy at the moment with their capabilities.
If they were ever to break or be stolen then it highly likely we would replace with Full Sus, maybe Cube Stereo 120 or Focus Jam2

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I don't recognise any reason to change my full suspension bike to hardtail. If I try to ride with my rear shock locked the bike feels awful. The weight seems to be no problem. It would be almost as crazy idea as to ride without dropper post.

How could HT define better the requirements for fullsus bike if you never ride one? I can see a risk that it just feels bad. Electricity gives you the same speed but the bike's suspension can't handle it. Different story for the manual bikes.

Spaceme17

Aug 28, 2020
Kentucky, USA
I have a Trek Powerfly 4 hardtail. I mostly ride pavement and gravel so a hardtail was more appropriate for me.

I have taken it on some bumpy off-road trails and it did fine.

If you will be riding more off-road, a full suspension is the way to go.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I have one of each.

* You still have fun on a hard tail.
* It's more of a workout.
* My HT is 18kg. My FS is 22kg. You notice the difference.

If I had only one it's be FS. But I do like having both.

Gordon

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Will be trying out a Canyon Neuron: On Next week and it will be my first FS experience ever.
I’ll be doing my normal off road routes I do with the Cube hardtail so I can make a fair comparison.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Look at the Voodoo Zobop E. You get a lot of goodies you find on much higher priced bikes.
As for fs or ht. If you buy a ht, you'll be thinking 'I'd like a fs'. Buy a fs.

I rode a ht for years, I purchased a fs & I wouldn't go back to a ht.

Another vote for the Zobop here. Had mine for a couple of months now and have ridden a number of other fs eMTBs, so here's some thoughts... Very rideable right out of the box, the rear sus is especially good, easily as good as bikes nearly twice the price. Dropper is very welcome, but don't plan on sticking a longer drop post in, unless you're quite tall, even with a super-short stack post. I tried fitting a 150mm One Up V2, but even that was too long to fit (I'm 5'6" with a 29" inner seam). Run a 29" front wheel, to make it a 'mullet' bike. It runs REALLY well in this format. On the subject of wheels, budget for some better tyres. On the subject of budget, plan to upgrade the brakes asap. Thus far, this bike has been able to ride 85% of what I would ride on my Levo. The motor and rider integration is nowhere near what is offered by Spesh, but it's a country mile ahead of Bosch. I don't think there's another bike that could come even close to this bike for the money. I've upgraded mine quite a bit and now it's a phenomenally capable machine. It's running a 140mm Pike RCT3 fork, 29" front wheel, 2.6" Minion DHR II tyres front and rear, Nukeproof Enduro pedals, and Guide RE brakes with 200mm rotors front and rear. Loving it a LOT now!!!

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
The OP has already made his decision:
I'm sure he's grateful for your help, though... :rolleyes:

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
The OP has already made his decision:
I'm sure he's grateful for your help, though... :rolleyes:

Given that I don't spend endless hours trawling each thread, I'm not sure how I'd have known, but thanks for your help... ?

Orinoko

Nov 10, 2020
Stroud
Thanks for all your helpful suggestions,and yes I’ve got FS.
Having a great time with my new purchase.

EDDFC986-C59C-4265-BA8C-21717CDD9550.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles