Rear Suspension Advice

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Hi all,

After some suspension advice from someone far more cluey than myself.

I have a Merida eOneTwenty and I’m having a bt of trouble setting the rear shock up - a Rockshox Deluxe R. I am fairly light at about 65kg (in riding gear). I find the shock fairly harsh on smaller to medium bumps, but then I blow through the travel on small drops/jumps.

As far as I can see my two best options are:
- Add a volume spacer (according to Merida there is already 3 installed, so this option would probably mean installing a Gnar dog + 1 normal token) and then drop the pressure slightly?
- Send the shock away for a “light rider tuning”

Wondering whether there’s any other options I’ve missed and if anyone has any thoughts about which of the two options above would be better. I figure I may as well try the tokens first since I can do this at home.

I’ve just ordered a Mattoc to bump the front up to 150mm so pretty stoked there ??

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
+1 on adding spacers. I agree that it is easy and cheap to do, and can easily be undone all in the privacy of your garage.
If that fails, then I would contact one of the suspension service companies that do your shock and just talk to them over the phone to see what they have to say. If you are in the UK, then I'm confident that TF Tuned will be very helpful.
01373 826800
Contact TF Tuned - TF Tuned

In the meantime, this guide to suspension set up from Bike Rumour will make good reading.
https://bikerumor.com/2014/10/30/bikerumor-suspension-setup-series-full-series-pdf-free-download/

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Hi all,

After some suspension advice from someone far more cluey than myself.

I have a Merida eOneTwenty and I’m having a bt of trouble setting the rear shock up - a Rockshox Deluxe R. I am fairly light at about 65kg (in riding gear). I find the shock fairly harsh on smaller to medium bumps, but then I blow through the travel on small drops/jumps.

As far as I can see my two best options are:
- Add a volume spacer (according to Merida there is already 3 installed, so this option would probably mean installing a Gnar dog + 1 normal token) and then drop the pressure slightly?
- Send the shock away for a “light rider tuning”

Wondering whether there’s any other options I’ve missed and if anyone has any thoughts about which of the two options above would be better. I figure I may as well try the tokens first since I can do this at home.

I’ve just ordered a Mattoc to bump the front up to 150mm so pretty stoked there ??

Avalanche Suspension, formerly known as Avalanche Downhill Racing, will custom-tune your shock for your bike, your weight, and for your riding style. When you order make not of the problems that you are having. He solved the problems I was having on my mountain bike; eventually I'll upgrade the shock on my Haibike SDURO to any model of shock that he tunes.

It's actually not just a tune, but an entire re-design of how the shock functions. After he's done, you'll have a lot of low-speed compression, which helps with the bottoming out on small drops, but this low-speed compression rapidly blows off into a more open high-speed compression which gets rid of the harsh riding on small and medium bumps at speed. He'll also recommend the number of volume spacers and air pressure that will get you the best results for the modified shock.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles