• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Full Face - When do you decide to wear one?

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I'm wondering when I should be wearing a Full Face lid as opposed to a normal Open Face helmet?
I have a couple of planned trips to the Alps and have a niggling thought that A full face would be the better option.

When do you guys decide to wear your Full Face?

Cheers

Crispy

Solution
I use an open face helmet for XC rides that dont involve any big descents or jumps etc. Otherwise I wear a full face. I have 2 full face helmets. My main full face is a Smith but that can get a bit hot in the summer so then I wear a MET which is lighter and has more vents. As a bove I sometimes even wear a full face on XC rides in the winter because it is so much warmer. The same criterea applies to choosing between glasses and goggles..........goggles not only provide much better protection but in colder weather stops that cold wind making my eyes water.

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Considered a convertible helmet? I use the giro switchblade and gives best of both worlds as can just take the chinguard with you in a backpack or attach to a hip pack in case you need it. Used it in Morzine and tour du mont blanc, just pop it in for the descents.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm wondering when I should be wearing a Full Face lid as opposed to a normal Open Face helmet?

I will tell you a story that outlines the events that led me to come to my current helmet decisions.

It started in 2007. I was riding an easy trail I'd ridden a hundred times before. I was at the top of "Four Mile Hill," and I'd be back at my truck in half an hour. I noted that it was 1:00 p.m. The next thing I knew, and the memories are still vague, I was laying on a gurney at the trauma center and a nurse as asking me annoying questions. My face was jacked. I looked pretty bad. Two surgeries were required over the next two years.

Apparently a couple more riders found me at 3:30 p.m. and I got a chopper ride that I don't remember. I returned to the bike in a couple months and rode with a full face until I became comfortable again. And that's the end of that part of the story.

Fast forward to 2022. I was riding a double black that I done many times. Since I had it dialed, I was just goofing around and riding fast. There is a bit of a rock drop before a tight switchback that leads to a calamitous drop if you don't stick it. I stuck it, my front went in a hole, and I went right over the bars, right onto my face. Blood was dripping all over my pretty bike, it hurt like hell, and my friends couldn't say for sure whether I needed a hospital. I was several miles of painful riding to get back to the truck. I said to myself, "Self, you are a stupid, stupid man. There is no excuse for not wearing the proper gear. You're not a pencil-neck who doesn't have the muscular strength to hold his head up strait if he has a couple ounces extra on his head. Wear your full-face."

So that's pretty much how I currently look at the "full face question." My buddy who was following sees the validity of my reasoning and now wears the full face exclusively. Another rides the full face more frequently than before. Others still ride with their half-shells. But when people ask, I tell them the story so they might make the most rational decision for their situation.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use an open face helmet for XC rides that dont involve any big descents or jumps etc. Otherwise I wear a full face. I have 2 full face helmets. My main full face is a Smith but that can get a bit hot in the summer so then I wear a MET which is lighter and has more vents. As a bove I sometimes even wear a full face on XC rides in the winter because it is so much warmer. The same criterea applies to choosing between glasses and goggles..........goggles not only provide much better protection but in colder weather stops that cold wind making my eyes water.

Solution

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I will tell you a story that outlines the events that led me to come to my current helmet decisions.

It started in 2007. I was riding an easy trail I'd ridden a hundred times before. I was at the top of "Four Mile Hill," and I'd be back at my truck in half an hour. I noted that it was 1:00 p.m. The next thing I knew, and the memories are still vague, I was laying on a gurney at the trauma center and a nurse as asking me annoying questions. My face was jacked. I looked pretty bad. Two surgeries were required over the next two years.

Apparently a couple more riders found me at 3:30 p.m. and I got a chopper ride that I don't remember. I returned to the bike in a couple months and rode with a full face until I became comfortable again. And that's the end of that part of the story.

Fast forward to 2022. I was riding a double black that I done many times. Since I had it dialed, I was just goofing around and riding fast. There is a bit of a rock drop before a tight switchback that leads to a calamitous drop if you don't stick it. I stuck it, my front went in a hole, and I went right over the bars, right onto my face. Blood was dripping all over my pretty bike, it hurt like hell, and my friends couldn't say for sure whether I needed a hospital. I was several miles of painful riding to get back to the truck. I said to myself, "Self, you are a stupid, stupid man. There is no excuse for not wearing the proper gear. You're not a pencil-neck who doesn't have the muscular strength to hold his head up strait if he has a couple ounces extra on his head. Wear your full-face."

So that's pretty much how I currently look at the "full face question." My buddy who was following sees the validity of my reasoning and now wears the full face exclusively. Another rides the full face more frequently than before. Others still ride with their half-shells. But when people ask, I tell them the story so they might make the most rational decision for their situation.
Thanks for sharing your experience and stories. Sounds like a full face definitely has its place when riding anything that has a modicum of danger and risk.

Hope you’re all good now

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Thanks for your reply. It sounds like the wearing of a full face lid is more common than I’d originally thought.

I have my choices narrowed down to the Fox Proframe, Smith Mainline and Endura M500

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thanks for your reply. It sounds like the wearing of a full face lid is more common than I’d originally thought.

I have my choices narrowed down to the Fox Proframe, Smith Mainline and Endura M500
Im sure all are good helmets. I can only comment on the Smith that I use. It is a very high quality helmet and very comfortable and OK in terms of heat in all but the hottest UK weather. One feature I really appreciate is that when used with Smith Goggles the goggle do not mist up. The Smith Goggles have a open/matrix upper edge ( as opposed to foam) which matches a vent in the brow of the Smith helmet. ( The Smith Goggles are also good quality with lenses as good as Oakleys ( IMO) giving contrast enhancement and good scratch resistance).

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@CrispyDesigns The Alps will give you a new definition of what "rough" and "steep" are. Everybody will be wearing full face. When I was last there, even the kids looked like miniature Klingon warriors. They had a full-face helmet with full body armour as well!

PS: I wear mine whenever I think I will be riding outside my comfort zone. So I really should wear it more often!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
It seems ridiculous that when I first started riding around 15 years ago, I would wear all the pads I could (I play ice hockey so I started with those) including a full face helmet as I used to crash all the time. Now I wear knees, elbows, wrist braces gloves and a skid lid. I fortunately crash less on the same trails I have been riding for years (mostly black and double black) and the majority of rider in the club I am in wear only skid lids. I still wear all the pads at Whistler as that is where most of my worst injuries have happened and the speeds are so much greater (99% of riders wear full face helmets there). When the weather turns colder, I will switch to a full face on the local trails as well. Upon reflection and after 13 concussions, I should wear a full face all the time but when the temperatures go up, my sense of self preservation seems to neglect my head as statistically I have landed on my knees, elbows, hands, hips and feet countless more times than I have hit my head. Of course, it only takes one big hit to an open face and no skid lid is going make any difference.
My resolution this year has been to wear my full face more often but no helmet on the climb up.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
It seems ridiculous that when I first started riding around 15 years ago, I would wear all the pads I could (I play ice hockey so I started with those) including a full face helmet as I used to crash all the time. Now I wear knees, elbows, wrist braces gloves and a skid lid. I fortunately crash less on the same trails I have been riding for years (mostly black and double black) and the majority of rider in the club I am in wear only skid lids. I still wear all the pads at Whistler as that is where most of my worst injuries have happened and the speeds are so much greater (99% of riders wear full face helmets there). When the weather turns colder, I will switch to a full face on the local trails as well. Upon reflection and after 13 concussions, I should wear a full face all the time but when the temperatures go up, my sense of self preservation seems to neglect my head as statistically I have landed on my knees, elbows, hands, hips and feet countless more times than I have hit my head. Of course, it only takes one big hit to an open face and no skid lid is going make any difference.
My resolution this year has been to wear my full face more often but no helmet on the climb up.
Gee am I the only one who occasionally loops out ?! My head is my life , I don't gamble with it. It's kinda like wearing/not wearing cleats, you tell yourself that if you slip you will catch yourself before you fall.... NOT !
Honestly I have a Bell mips Super Air that has a detachable chin guard. I find it so unobtrusive that I check to see if it's still on. Except when it comes to drinking water from a bottle. When I get a new lid it will be a permanent full face. 😎

Brian VT USA

Oct 2, 2023
VT, USA
I've been riding and racing gas-powered motorcycles in the woods for over 45 years. I can't get any more protective gear on my body than I already wear. But Mother Nature still always manages to find the chink in your armor and make you pay for the fun she provides.
I recently got back into MTB and went OTB in a steep section of rocks. I was only wearing gloves and an open-faced helmet for "protective" gear. I was able to finish the decent but had bruises and blood from 3 places. But not my face.
Who knows where the pain will hit next time? I dunno. But I might start wearing a chin guard. Not that my face can get any uglier. ;-)
But then there's the potential for extra rotational force from the chin guard to your neck.
It's all a crap shoot.

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I've been riding and racing gas-powered motorcycles in the woods for over 45 years. I can't get any more protective gear on my body than I already wear. But Mother Nature still always manages to find the chink in your armor and make you pay for the fun she provides.
I recently got back into MTB and went OTB in a steep section of rocks. I was only wearing gloves and an open-faced helmet for "protective" gear. I was able to finish the decent but had bruises and blood from 3 places. But not my face.
Who knows where the pain will hit next time? I dunno. But I might start wearing a chin guard. Not that my face can get any uglier. ;-)
But then there's the potential for extra rotational force from the chin guard to your neck.
It's all a crap shoot.
You bring up a good point. When I ride Whistler, I wear a neck brace as well (neck braces can cause broken collar bones but do stop your neck from breaking!). Most people don't. I had my worst crash (knocked out, concussion and 4 broken ribs) doing a routine rock drop on A Line, that I had done hundreds of times before, but THAT day was the day the mountain got me good. My last big crash was a shattered calcaneus bone when my foot slipped off the pedal going off another routine drop. 6 months recovery and it still hurts today. There was no way to protect myself against that one. Wearing a helmet is a given but so are elbow pads as I have spent a lot of time practicing my tuck and roll which seems to help protect my head. A full face would still be better in most situations. YMMV.

Last edited:

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Thanks so much for all the replies. Lots of experience based advice which is always the best kind. I was half dreading the flood of "If you think you need a full face then you're riding trails above your pay grade".

Many thanks again.

Cheers Crispy

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Always.

Maybe if I was riding XC on a non e-bike, I would maybe wear a lid, but my riding is mostly e-bike or lift served bike park so there’s no reason not to wear full face. Riding in the alps you will be the odd one out if you aren’t wearing full face.

Modern full face helmets like the Fox Proframe and Troy Lee Stage offer great breathability with a lot of protection. I tested the Stage at BPW in a 20mph crash onto my chin, the helmet did its job and I didnt have to buy new teeth.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
In the garage just now, I have 3 helmets hanging up (as well as a pile in the loft!). These are a Bell Sixer MIPS (half shell), a Fox Proframe (full face) and a Bell Super Air R Spherical (convertible).

If I’m going to be honest, I think I used the Super Air pretty much all of last year. I don’t do anything too extreme, but am wary of my lovely teeth and jaw. I ride with an Osprey Siskin 8 backpack on (tool roll / hydration), and it has a flap that’s ideal for holding the chin guard for the helmet.

On the ups, I have the face open, and on the technical / fast downs, I snap the chin guard on. It took a bit of practice to be able to fit it without a mirror, but now it takes me about 15 seconds. Locate, and pull 2 catches.

Without the chin guard, it’s pretty much identical to my Sixer (which is why I rarely use it), and with the chin guard on, it’s maybe not quite as light as the ProFrame, but it’s more flexible.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
most sports present a risk of injury and all you can do is mitigate such risks. Nothing guarantees complete safety. It does seem however that "sods law" plays a role. Many of my accidents have been at slow speed, unexpected and supposedly at times of least risk!!

Brian VT USA

Oct 2, 2023
VT, USA
I wish these deals were on my side of the pond.

...and a bunch of other helmet deals. They won't ship to USA. :-(

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
I wish these deals were on my side of the pond.

...and a bunch of other helmet deals. They won't ship to USA. :-(
That sucks !!!!….. the only way to do that maybe is to get someone buy it here and ship it to you as a gift , then you don’t pay import tax ….. not an ideal idea I know ….. I know a guy that had a drone bought for him in the USA and he sent it to the Uk as it was unavailable here

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles