FOR AND AGAINST MUDGUARDS

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Guessing you don't get much rain there ?.... in which case... totally understandable 😁👍

I guess it's different challenges for folks in different geographic areas . Riding muddy trails here will make you unpopular. Most of the time, the trails will dry out sufficiently after a day or two, so we learn to be patient. People put in a lot of work maintaining trails, and one impatient clown can really tear up a trail that isn't dried out yet.

Different areas have different dirt. After it's rained a lot, there are a few areas where the dirt is mostly decomposed granite. It's GREAT after a rain. The range of hills where I live, though, is completely different. The mud accumulates on your tires, making them bigger and bigger, until they just won't roll any more.

At the end of summer, many trails are totally blown out, and we long for the rains and the resultant hero dirt.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
The case against mudguards

View attachment 79690

Completely unmovable....stuck solid. Now happened 3/4 times requires serious un blocking to continue ride only to do it again a few yards further on.!
You guys that ride without guards does the same thing happen or is it due to the MGs giving reduced clearance.?
It happened to me yesterday for the first time. Claggy clay like mud and the bike stopped dead. I thought the motor had seized. It would have got blocked probably with or without the mudguard but the mudguard acted as a very effective brake pad and made the wheel impossible to move......I managed to clear some with a stone but on the next decent washed out as the front tyre was still blocked in the side treads.
Tip...avoid craggy mud.
Pics
IMG_0414.jpeg
IMG_0413.jpeg
enclosed post ride and clean-ish..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles