Race organizers against eMTBs

Jan 28, 2019
United Kingdom
I don't know how much of a common thread this is but I thought I'd drop a post about this. A local race series close to me (been going over 3 decades now) for XC mountain bike racing seem to really hate eMTBs. Now, they may have a perfectly reasonable argument for not wanting eMTBs at their events but this just reads like they just straight up hate eebers. They seem to not trust people not to chip their motors and apparently they have decided that we aren't skilled riders. For a series that has been going for over 3 decades it's a shame they can't keep up with the rest of the world and want to hold eMTB riders to such contempt. I just wanted to gauge some opinion from other eMTB riders about this.

IMG_1119.jpeg

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
So what's the problem?

You want to race xc - get fit and race an xc.

You want to race emtb - join an emtb race.

Imagine how frustrating it must be for the good xc racers to be trying to pass a less skilled emtb rider who is only up the front of the fleet due to their bosch. The speed is there from the motor, but the skills aren't. Unpredictable and blocking the race for a podium finish.

You don't expect to race a jet ski in the olympic 100 m freestyle

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I can understand the difficulty in creating and monitoring different categories. The numbers may not be there yet for eMTB’s.

Emtb’ing can be slightly different while competing. A class of its own. Strava segments for eMTB’s are starting to appear on our mountain and trails. Climbing seems to be the most popular.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Yeah, I think E-Mtb XC races should also be separate.

That said we race enduro races with an e class and thats sweet as.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
My own view, for what it’s worth, is that obviously e-bike races should be in a different class to non assisted bikes, but not for the reasons the committee give in the first post which do sound very generalised as well as condescending.

Many people forget that when you see somebody on an e-bike, you have no idea of their history or reasons for riding one, I’ve been riding or racing a bike of some sort for nearly 50 years and e-bikes are just the latest phase of that.

But hey, it’s todays culture to move quickly to judgement, and speak from an uninformed position right?

Whilst I’m no longer interested in racing, e-bikes for me are a great way to get outside and into nature to enjoy other things along the way, I do think many race organisers are missing a trick not having an e-bike class. At the end of the day though, it’s their train set, their rules really.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Would you like to rephrase your comment your no better than the article
What makes a pedelec rider less skilled in your opinion ??

No, I don't see any reason that I NEED to be better than the POLICY set by that race organisation?

When 2 riders are climbing a technical trail at similar speeds, one is on a human powered bike and the other is obtaining assistance, I'd be fascinated to hear another explanation for why that xc rider isn't getting blown away?

Even as a fat unfit old fart, my levo sl allows me to match similarly skilled fit xc riders uphill - on my full power giant - That's not a race.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Your skill level has nothing to do with your fitness level end of
You seem to be mixing the two up As are the organisers of the xc racing
Im not saying they should allow Pedelecs what I'm saying is the skill level of the rider as nothing to do with assistance or lack of there receiving
A fit rider doesn't necessarily make a skilled rider .

And you may have quoted my post but you didnt answer it

So

No, I'm NOT mixing them up -

XC SKILL is about efficiency of riding - so a good xc rider flows through technical section whilst a less skilled rider goes slower if they have similar fitness and a similar bike.

so I ask you, to explain any other explanation for why an emtb rider and xc rider would be going the same speed apart from skill ( ok, or fitness / weight )

Goat

Jan 19, 2023
Ireland
So your also assuming that all pedelec riders are rank amateurs ,
If you have a pedelec you must be useless
Because your having some assistance
Wow
I ride a pedelec and have entered many competitive races in the past
So now riding the pedelec makes me forget all my 38 years of mountain biking

All them years just disappeared and I started from scratch back in 2015 when I bought my first pedelec

😂
I'm just talking about noobs though Fat Rat, not experienced racers.

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
Gravel race ? Sure . 2 categories , let’s them start together.

Trail ? Separate them E bikes start 5 min before P bikes

Nothing worse than a big group getting stuck behind a slower inexperienced rider that blew up 1000 feet into the race , on narrow trails .

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Fair enough ,
But that's true no matter if its assisted or unassisted the power delivery has no relation to rider skill which is what I've been saying (y)

Bit it does if both riders are at the same stage in the fleet - ie riding at similar speeds....which is what everyone else has been saying

RiderOnTheStorm

Keeping analog and electric riders in separate race categories makes perfect sense to me. Other racing sports do it. Why would you even consider mixing them and share the same podium?

I don't think the main issue here is about rider skillset, fitness, or experience. Security concerns, ethics and fairness of the race are very important. Just don't mix apples and oranges!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The ski hills in our area are adopting MTBing and are trying to attract users for that “year-round” experience. Whistler being the largest, highest and most developed, hosts CrankWorks. It’s quite a spectacle.

E MTB racing has not developed in our area yet. There’s got to be the numbers and the money for potential sponsors. We mostly rely on volunteers and small groups (TORCA) for trail development and a few MTB races. Nothing for eMTB’s yet …that I know of.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Would you like to rephrase your comment your no better than the article
Well, if the xc racer is keeping up with and wanting to pass the e-biker the e-biker is less skilled.

No doubt there are elite level e bikers. But as a group ebikers are generally less skilled than
Mountain bikers.

This is fact.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Nothing for eMTB’s yet ….
Yet being the operative word.

I think eBikes would make a great platform for a Poker Run/Orienteering type event personally. Maybe even a 24hrs of alternative power with camping and carrying on. Have a stock class and an open class for the derestrictors.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A few observations!
1. Of course EMTBs should race in a separate category to analogue bikes
2. A course for EMTB should be very different to an XC course............which would be boring!!
3. Racing is not really what EMTBs are all about is it?? There is so much more to experience and see.
4. Yes, the organisers rationale is condescending, factually innacurate and demonstrates an arrogant dislike of EMTBs. EMTB riders can be as skilled or unskilled as analogue bike riders . EMTBs do not create any different wear and tear on trails to analogue bikes.

What is actually demonstrated in the organisers remarks is the cultural difference between XC riders ( essentially roadies riding bikes with straight handlebars:ROFLMAO:, whose main priority is to achieve a Strava KOM and send their heart rate through the roof) and other categories of mountain biking, ( enduro, downhill, freeride) where baggies replace lycra, heavy knobbly tires replace minimalist rubber and wheels spend as much time in the air as on the ground.

Create your own series mate.

CliffP

Jan 24, 2023
San Antonio Texas
I don't know how much of a common thread this is but I thought I'd drop a post about this. A local race series close to me (been going over 3 decades now) for XC mountain bike racing seem to really hate eMTBs. Now, they may have a perfectly reasonable argument for not wanting eMTBs at their events but this just reads like they just straight up hate eebers. They seem to not trust people not to chip their motors and apparently they have decided that we aren't skilled riders. For a series that has been going for over 3 decades it's a shame they can't keep up with the rest of the world and want to hold eMTB riders to such contempt. I just wanted to gauge some opinion from other eMTB riders about this.

View attachment 116199
I have to agree with 90% of this. We need our own class. Competing with regular bikes is an issue. We need to agree with organizers and work with them to integrate EMTB racing into their races or have our own.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
How is it surprising that XC racers hate emtbs? For years mtb riders have hated emtbs and XC racing is about as extreme lycra-y as mtb gets. XC riders are all about the uphill (at an amateur level at least, a XC Pro I rode with was incredible downhill) so naturally anything that makes that less of a challenge is unacceptable.

The comment on ebikes being dangerous reminds me of the reaction of the road cycling bodies when disc brakes first came out, predicting fingers would be servered, legs would be burnt and riders would end up on even more sweaty, lycra-y heaps.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
The letter seems very legit to me. They take time to explain the obvious, probably to avoid ruffling feathers.
Got my vote 👍

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Totally Ok for me.
At least it is clear, and I can understand most of the Mtb'ers don't like the behavour of half of the Emtb'ers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles