FOR AND AGAINST MUDGUARDS

taxidriver50005

Jun 17, 2020
Skelmersdale
Pros and cons please also what's best for the rear... ???

received_308616170179879.jpeg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
as per my 'what did you buy' post, I'd not recommend one of those cheap foldable mudguards:

it looks good as far as mudguards go, but was completely ineffective
There's only so much a mud guard can do :oops: :ROFLMAO:

I have a merida and it came with mudguards. Never had them before and was going to take them off. Now I really like them - but I only ever ride in a token amount of mud :ROFLMAO:. I have a mudguard on my dropper though - that's very effective. I never have to clean mud from the dropper. Photo is from drier times.

merida1.jpg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If you're after stopping your back/backside/backpack getting wet and covered in gloop then the large Mudhugger can't be beaten IMO, it's advantages are that it doesn't interfere with a dropper post and moves with the rear suspension. It's also easy to fix with supplied cable ties and seems to be made from a rugged plastic. It's also easy to find online from many sellers so you may find some discounted.
If you need to protect the linkage and back of the motor then searching on here for mudguards will bring up peoples various ingenious uses of smaller front and rear mudguards cut and shaped to fit the various different frame and tyre combos.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
I have a Proguard mudguard on the front that stays there due to zipties and an SKS X blades on the back that I can clip on when I'm commuting in the wet. I never use a rear mudguard for mtbing tho, even when it's disgusting.

Check out either the proguard or mudhugger, they're both the best working designs.

Aitrui

May 16, 2020
Budapest
I tried several different type of mudguard, I think Mudhugger is the best. The rear one doesn't look the best, the only thing I want to try if rainy weather comes back, to buy one more front one and install it on the back,and see how it's performing, just because of the looks. They are made from a very good material, they supply helitape for the rears to protect your paint (must use!).
61FAsHVTFML._AC_SX425_.jpg image002_1227x.jpg

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I've given up on finding one for the rear that works. Sure, there's a little less mud with one, but still plenty still gets by.
For the front I definitely like one as it keeps stuff out of my eyes at speed

Aitrui

May 16, 2020
Budapest
I've given up on finding one for the rear that works. Sure, there's a little less mud with one, but still plenty still gets by.
For the front I definitely like one as it keeps stuff out of my eyes at speed

If you didn't already, you should try the big rear Mudhugger, almost perfect, if you use it on a fully, and add something to the bottom part of your rear triangle, you can have 99% protection.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve had the large Mudhugger rear on my Stumpy for the last 2 winters.
For sure, it’s the best rear mudguard out there. It just LOOKS awful though.
You’ll still get a bit of mud, but it’s a ‘little’ bit compared to being caked in it.

Once winter comes back, I’ll probably move it over to my Levo SL. Just make sure the contact points are well taped up... as it scrapes the helitape to a matt finish!
Wouldn’t like to think what it’d do to your nicely painted frame!!

Positives: actually works with a full suspension bike. +95% protected!
Easy to fit with 6 zip ties.

Negatives: looks sh1t, and you can sometimes catch your leg on when mounting / dismounting! Will eat your paint if not protected.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
If you didn't already, you should try the big rear Mudhugger, almost perfect, if you use it on a fully, and add something to the bottom part of your rear triangle, you can have 99% protection.

I have one of those. It stops a lot of the mud and splatter, but after a few hours, I'd still be covered.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
The case against mudguards

muddy bike .jpg

Completely unmovable....stuck solid. Now happened 3/4 times requires serious un blocking to continue ride only to do it again a few yards further on.!
You guys that ride without guards does the same thing happen or is it due to the MGs giving reduced clearance.?

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
It is totally possible to come to a grinding, literally, halt in some soils without mud guards. There is nothing that is going to work in mud that is that sticky other than staying off the trails.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
It's a do or die: Either you look shit (without mudguard) or you AND your bike looks shit (with mudguard).

Protip: Take the fancy instapictures before installing the mudguard.

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
It's a do or die: Either you look shit (without mudguard) or you AND your bike looks shit (with mudguard).
Agree totally.
Small detail: In cold conditions a dry seat and a dry back is warmer then a back covered in cold and damp mud.
That is my reason to use a fender.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
it looks good as far as mudguards go, but was completely ineffective
Ineffective only because an inadequate guard has been fitted. Obviously nothing that short is going to provide and frame/shock protection.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I find this entire subject quite funny.
The first thing to go was fork boots. With some nonsense or other about the seals being so good you didnt need them, but the real truth there from bitd was we took them off our bombers cos it made them look way cooler.
That continued for a few years but more and more people were reporting the stanchions were getting scraped, and worn from dirt being dragged into the dust seal(which was barely adequate at best.

Today nobody has them fitted and stanchions, the most important part of the fork are being damaged from falls and rock chips.
Mention fork boots today and you get silly answers like but what if?? or along the lines of if dirt gets behind them, its unseen blah blah blah. Dirt doesnt get behind them, its sealed top to bottom(but not airtight sealed as ive heard some folk claim, ore air blocks and causes other problems, or moisture build up. Certainly nothing we saw riding bitd with fork boots in place, but some really silly answers now thats for sure.
They protect the stanchions, thats been their job since day one on both mtbs and motorbikes. I really cant see an argument that riding with them could cause problems(though they are unable to show proof) but think riding without any protection whatsoever is ok. A bit illogical.

Now we have the same with mudguards, with the single reason it spoils the look of the bike. But as its went on and peoples expensive riding gear and packs end up filthy, damaged, stained to hell and people are again looking at fitting them, but what were seeing is completely inadequate guards that hardly cover anything.
I think again its the 'for show' reason. Make you look like some real mtber, all muddy as fk, and the bike never gets cleaned so the pretense can be extended. Like the boots, folk think it makes them look cooler when the reality is it just means they dont know how to look after their stuff properly.

Sorry :LOL:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It is totally possible to come to a grinding, literally, halt in some soils without mud guards. There is nothing that is going to work in mud that is that sticky other than staying off the trails.
Yes, but a lot less likely. And even if it does happen, a lot less surface friction. Easier to clean - unblock.

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
Been using mudguards since getting my ebike and wouldn't ride without them, I'm reasonably clean when going for a brew in a cafe and my bikes easier to clean afterwards.
Personally I couldn't give a toss how the bike looks with them, I probably look a right dick with my miss matching riding gear anyway.

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Always use them on my roadbikes - always makes me laff seeing folks without them on their Sunday morning rides, presumably trying to save an extra few grams in addition to the ultra light carbon framed machines for whatever nefarious reasons. Even moreso on me Mtb as I always enjoy going through the muddy puddles ( like a 4 year old in wellies 😂👍) and they keep it contained. Just putting some mudhuggers on the new (to me) Trek powerfly..... Here's the rears - fronts to follow when the 'decals' turn up.

PXL_20220118_183917726.jpg

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Always use them on my roadbikes - always makes me laff seeing folks without them on their Sunday morning rides, presumably trying to save an extra few grams in addition to the ultra light carbon framed machines for whatever nefarious reasons. Even moreso on me Mtb as I always enjoy going through the muddy puddles ( like a 4 year old in wellies 😂👍) and they keep it contained. Just putting some mudhuggers on the new (to me) Trek powerfly..... Here's the rears - fronts to follow when the 'decals' turn up.

View attachment 80174
.....and, of course, who's lookin' ??
It's like getting changed on the beach when it's not too crowded.... Wrestlin' with a beach towel for 5 minutes to 'protect your dignity' and attracting all sorts of attention, or done and dusted in 5 seconds, minimum fuss 'cos WHO'S LOOKIN' ?? 😂😂😂😂

Last edited:

Clarrie_NZ

Jan 31, 2022
Rotorua, NZ
I put a mucky nutz mudguard on to the front of my new Whyte E160s.
Not particularly important over summer in Rotorua but I was getting ahead of the game for a change.
It was all fine until I put my bike on to the rack on my friends vehicle which is a vertical one with wheel loops to hold the bike.
It distorted the guard a little but I didn't pay much attention.
I did 3 or 4 tracks with no problem but suddenly the front wheel locked at speed and I went over the bars.
It turned out that the guard had caught the on the knobby tyres and locked the wheel up.
A 2m long black skid mark was left on the hard packed dirt before the little velcro straps broke in to tiny sections.
I was wearing amour and a full face (because old farts heal slowly) which I am sure helped.
Among other indignities I hit a tree with the back of my hip where there is no armour and got the worst bruising that I have ever had.
It seems that trees don't move much when you hit them.
I have video but it does not show much except a brief noise, my hands shooting forward, clouds of dust and me saying WTF happened?

I will be more careful with mud guards in future.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The case against mudguards

View attachment 79690

Completely unmovable....stuck solid. Now happened 3/4 times requires serious un blocking to continue ride only to do it again a few yards further on.!
You guys that ride without guards does the same thing happen or is it due to the MGs giving reduced clearance.?
It's not so much your mudguards as the reduced clearance from your choice of mudguard and large volume tyre.
For better clearance on the front try a CRUDXL and fit 2.1 - 2.3 mud tyres and I'll bet you'd have better luck.

BTW a crud XL can also be fitted to the rear seat stays of most bikes. Nowhere near the coverage of the XL mudhugger rear but it will keep a fair bit of mud off the bike and won't clog as easily.

If you search my name on the main site I reviewed the Crudxl for Rob a couple of years back.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
  • Some of my bikes have mudguards permanently fitted all year round.
  • Some of my bikes never have and never will have mudguards fitted.
  • Some of my bikes get a front mudguard fitted to aid vision in wet conditions.
If you have just one bike. Make sure to choose one of these options and be a dick about it. 😉

OOooh... Also how you and your bike "look" has always been a massive part of cycling in general... But feel free to be a dick about that too.

😜

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Make sure to choose one of these options and be a dick about it.

You forgot "NONE of my bikes will EVER have one of those ugly POS!"

how you and your bike "look" has always been a massive part of cycling in general... But feel free to be a dick about that too.

Yeah... my bikes need to look as good as they ride.

<😆/
|
_/ \_

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
....It's not so much your mudguards as the reduced clearance from your choice of mudguard and large volume tyre.
He's actually got road 27x1.25 on there.... The rest of it's mud!!!
That's some mud!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles