Focus Jam 2 2018 won't turn on and red blinking LED on the charger

karoliens

Nov 25, 2021
Lithuania
Hi,

This morning I was unable to turn on my bike.

When I plug in the charger initially it shows green LED but after couple of minutes it changes to red blinking LED.

I have tried cleaning terminas on the frame and charger.
Bike is stored indoors.
It was washed day before but I have not notices any problem on my way back home.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

TIA

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Is it cold where you are in Lithuania?

I had a charger that would not work if the battery was low state of charge AND the temperature was below 10degC. Fix either of those and it worked. Several people, including me, said it was the charger. After tests, the retailer agreed. But the bike manufacturer said it was the battery. So I ended up having a new charger supplied by the retailer and a new battery by the manufacturer!

A simple test would be to take the battery and the charger indoors and leave them to come up to temperature before attempting to charge. If your battery is not easily removable then you are just going to have to take the whole bike indoors.

karoliens

Nov 25, 2021
Lithuania
Is it cold where you are in Lithuania?

I had a charger that would not work if the battery was low state of charge AND the temperature was below 10degC. Fix either of those and it worked. Several people, including me, said it was the charger. After tests, the retailer agreed. But the bike manufacturer said it was the battery. So I ended up having a new charger supplied by the retailer and a new battery by the manufacturer!

A simple test would be to take the battery and the charger indoors and leave them to come up to temperature before attempting to charge. If your battery is not easily removable then you are just going to have to take the whole bike indoors.

Thank you for reply. As mentioned before it was kept indoors (for more than 24 hours now).

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
No worries. Using multimeter I tested the charger and I do not see any voltage. I suppose it should be 42V DC?
It should say what it should be on the back of the charger. If you have connected it up and nothing is coming out, then I believe that it's knackered. You will need a new one. Thankfully they are relatively cheap (compared to a motor or battery).

karoliens

Nov 25, 2021
Lithuania
I've received new charger, but still it does not charge the battery.

As mentioned before with my old charger there was no voltage output.

With new one I am seeing 32 V and 0 V constantly cycling between. Is that normal?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I've received new charger, but still it does not charge the battery.

As mentioned before with my old charger there was no voltage output.

With new one I am seeing 32 V and 0 V constantly cycling between. Is that normal?

Have you managed to sort this K.

My Jam2 wouldn't turn on the other morning after washing it the day before. I've removed the motor and battery, checked all connections and re-installed everything. I have swapped the power regulator switch on the bars and the display with another Shimano bike I have, all to no avail.
The battery will not charge but I have a TEC pack battery and even with that, everything is dead.

I don't really want to take it to the dealer as I am using Stunlocker on it and although it is out of warranty, the firmware will undoubtedly be updated messing things up.

karoliens

Nov 25, 2021
Lithuania
Hi,

Sorry for a late reply.

So initially I thought that it is faulty charger as I was not getting any voltage at the end.

When I tried new charger the problem remained.

Then I decided to order new battery and while waiting for it to arrive I started disassembling the bike. After disconnecting battery from the motor and charging port and connecting again it started charging normally.

But then at some point I was unable to turn it on again even though the LED was present and no error on the charger.

Then I removed the power on button and after wiggling the connector I was able to power it on.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Thanks karoliens, my experience seems to have been just the same as yours.
I was resigned to getting a new battery, but after dismantling the bike and leaving the battery and on/off switch somewhere warm and dry over Christmas, when I put everything back together, it all worked again.

Bit of a mystery and definitely knocks my confidence in the bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles