Focus Jam 2 rear axle

Sonicfly190

Sep 30, 2020
C
Noticed that my rear axle was quite loose after my ride, tighten it up to the required 13-14 newton.....but suddenly its hard to pedal...tried to loosen to 4 newton torque and it pedals ok again......any idea whats happening there?

Cheers

Rob

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I've had an axle seize before through lack of liubrication. I'd take it out, clean & grease it, reinstall & see if it spins freely at 14nm. If not, then it points at a defect. Lots of Focuses have Novatec hubs that aren't highly rated.

Sonicfly190

Sep 30, 2020
C
I've had an axle seize before through lack of liubrication. I'd take it out, clean & grease it, reinstall & see if it spins freely at 14nm. If not, then it points at a defect. Lots of Focuses have Novatec hubs that aren't highly rated.
Thanks for your reply....yes, cleaned and greased reinstalled....no change...maybe a rear axle spacer is missing?

Cheers
Rob

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Doesn't have any if my Jam2 is any guide. You've clearly got something up with the wheel. The obvious things to check are the wheel is aligned correctly, the cassette spins as it should, the wheel spins ok when off the bike, not notchy or noisy etc. One thing that might not be obvious or even possible to do but throwing it in anyway - you do have both flip chips orientated the same way?

Sonicfly190

Sep 30, 2020
C
Doesn't have any if my Jam2 is any guide. You've clearly got something up with the wheel. The obvious things to check are the wheel is aligned correctly, the cassette spins as it should, the wheel spins ok when off the bike, not notchy or noisy etc. One thing that might not be obvious or even possible to do but throwing it in anyway - you do have both flip chips orientated the same way?
Hi Rusty, thanks again for your reply ....yes all aligned and spinning freely but as soon I torque up past 4 N.....the pedal is harder to push....something is binding up....bike is already on my truck and going to the shop....hope it's only simple.
Will keep you updated..........

Cheers
Rob

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Hard to infer what it might be but I feel you'll find the issue in the hub. They have a flimsy plastic cover that lets gunk in & it's a well known weak point. Good luck with it.

Sonicfly190

Sep 30, 2020
C
Hard to infer what it might be but I feel you'll find the issue in the hub. They have a flimsy plastic cover that lets gunk in & it's a well known weak point. Good luck with it.
Yes Rusty, you guessed right we took the hub out in the shop and it seems that dirt and corrosion damaged the bearings...hopefully only some new bearings.....will keep you informed.

Cheers
Rob

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles