Focus Jam 2 - squeak / stripped thread at rocker and top of rear shock

May 4, 2018
Canberra
Has anyone else had an issue with the bolt / thread to rocker burring?? About 6 months ago i got a service at LBS to which the rear shock was having its seals replaced. The LBS bike shop called and said the bolt going though top of rear shock / connecting to rocker has stripped. I had to go to where I bought bike (Focus dealer) and they gave me a new bolt. Issue was the thread within rocker arm was slightly burred too. This didn't seem a problem at the time but over the past 6 months the bolt keeps working loose causing massive squeaking noise. On the bolt connection it states 12kn torque but when i apply too much torque the both just revolves in the rocker, that is not getting the required torque, I have used a light (Green) locktite which seemed to work for a short time. Now every ride i need to stop so often and re-tighten bolt. I have chatted to a few other Focus owners on the track but none have come across same issue. At 57 it is not as though i abuse the bike or have ridden in situations beyond the bikes perceived use. (pic attached showing bolt connection )

Any suggestions?

20210731_173145[1].jpg

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I suspect your LBS have stripped the thread & washed their hands of it. It can't be proved either way, so moot. The solution is to replace the rocker arm or at the very least tap a new thread onto the existing one.

May 4, 2018
Canberra
I suspect your LBS have stripped the thread & washed their hands of it. It can't be proved either way, so moot. The solution is to replace the rocker arm or at the very least tap a new thread onto the existing one.
Cheers for the feedback... the rocker arm option seems the most resolute...though probably not the most timely. Will ask the dealer about both options

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles