Anyone tried the Focus Jam2 Plus LTD?

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Me and a good friend both have JAM2s, mine's a Ltd, his is a Pro, and we absolutely love 'em. Have both had some technical gremlins, especially after washing, but nothing that stops play. Both still waiting for TEC packs to arrive but still getting 2-3hrs of mostly-boost riding.

Off down through france in a couple of weeks to find some woodland, hope we find some decent trails. :)
When you say technical gremlins after washing, did you get battery drain?

Mine's a jam2 carbon and the only two tech issues ive had are the magnet for the speed sensor got knocked off (superglued in place) and after the first wash (which i didn't go anywhere near a jet wash) I took it for it's first service and it had bettery drain from four to two bars in less than two hours (in the back of the car).

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
When you say technical gremlins after washing, did you get battery drain?

Mine's a jam2 carbon and the only two tech issues ive had are the magnet for the speed sensor got knocked off (superglued in place) and after the first wash (which i didn't go anywhere near a jet wash) I took it for it's first service and it had bettery drain from four to two bars in less than two hours (in the back of the car).

Mine requires two presses of the top button to start it, every time, and can get truculent after a good wash (again, never with a pressure washer). Turn it upside down, bounce it a bit, squirt in some WD40, and it's ok, but it's been logged as a warranty job so hopefully will be sorted soon.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Not had issues like these. I did put some dia-electric grease on the charge port contacts when I noticed a little green corrosion appearing early on.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Suspect this might be a Focus specific issue, as of all the shimano bikes its the one which has the most custom components, rather than the generic system.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Mine requires two presses of the top button to start it, every time, and can get truculent after a good wash (again, never with a pressure washer). Turn it upside down, bounce it a bit, squirt in some WD40, and it's ok, but it's been logged as a warranty job so hopefully will be sorted soon.
Now you come to mention it, mine always takes two presses to switch on (always has), I thought this was just a curiosity of the system. Has this been recoginsed by you LBS as a fault?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Now you come to mention it, mine always takes two presses to switch on (always has), I thought this was just a curiosity of the system. Has this been recoginsed by you LBS as a fault?
Mine too thought it was a Focus thing ....sometimes takes 2/3 goes . to get it started.
Hardly worth taking it back on 50 mile round trip to fix.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Is it really taking two presses or are you not holding it long enough on the first press?
Mine comes on first go but it is always longer than I think it should be.

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Is it really taking two presses or are you not holding it long enough on the first press?
Mine comes on first go but it is always longer than I think it should be.

Definitely two presses, the first press can be 30 secs and nothing springs to life.

My understanding is that the systems goes into sleep mode after a certain time and the first press is required to wake it, but that's only a layman's interpretation of what I've read so far.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
I've now had my Jam2 Ltd now for 9 months and done just under 1200miles. On my 3rd chain and second cassette. Tonight I have taken off the Rekon tyres and put a Maxxis DHR ii on the rear and a DHF on the front. Will be out on it tomorrow night to see how they perform.

I too have to do the double press to get it to fire up.

Last edited:

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
I've now had my Jam2 Ltd now for 9 months and done just under 1200miles. On my 3rd chain and second cassette. Tonight I have taken off the Rekon tyres and put a Maxxis DHR ii on the rear and a DHF on the front. Will be out on it tomorrow night to see how they perform.

I too have to do the double press to get it to fire up.
Are you sticking with the 2.8 tyres or going smaller. I was thinking of keeping the plus size rear and changing the front for maybe a 2.6 (40mm rims)?

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
Ive only had my Jam2 for 9 days. Have been out for three rides on it. 1 x rolling Hills Road Ride @ 29kms, 1 x quite hilly Road Ride @ 42kms and 1 x Technical Hill ride (Makara Peak) Wellington @ 12kms. (couple of 20km road rides on my Haro Double Peak Hard tail as well). I'm 57years old and 116kgs and love this Jam2. 42km hilly road ride on trail mode showed 6km range left. Makara peak used 2 bars out of 5. I do have the Tec pack but have not needed it yet. Suspension is pumped up to allow for my "Generous" Build and even on the down hill at Makara Peak I have not bottomed out anything yet. Love this bike!! But yep it takes 2 pushes on the start button to crank her up.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Ive only had my Jam2 for 9 days. Have been out for three rides on it. 1 x rolling Hills Road Ride @ 29kms, 1 x quite hilly Road Ride @ 42kms and 1 x Technical Hill ride (Makara Peak) Wellington @ 12kms. (couple of 20km road rides on my Haro Double Peak Hard tail as well). I'm 57years old and 116kgs and love this Jam2. 42km hilly road ride on trail mode showed 6km range left. Makara peak used 2 bars out of 5. I do have the Tec pack but have not needed it yet. Suspension is pumped up to allow for my "Generous" Build and even on the down hill at Makara Peak I have not bottomed out anything yet. Love this bike!! But yep it takes 2 pushes on the start button to crank her up.

Must persuade my daughter in Tauranga to buy one of these for me to use when I visit ....ps I ,m a bit lighter but a LOT older than you and absolutely love my Jam2
Have fun

Stevie old n slow

Oct 30, 2018
Menstrie Scotland
Had mine for 2 months now it's been great fun. It's the Ltd 29 model and upgrades so far are cockpit(bar,stem,grips) and front fork. Tyres are next on the list as the continentals that come on it are terrible. Also takes 2 presses to start up and issues so far are a leaky rear shock but it did get sent to flat of a 6ft drop a few times lol.

0C4C9D26-2932-4AA1-AB71-D3ADB59B0838.jpeg

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
I'm sticking with the 2.8 tyres, I like the chunky size

Will probably try a 2.4 with a grippier tread (Schwalbe Magic Mary?) for serious mud-plugging next.

Have been on slippy mud/rocks/leaves all week near Angouleme and although it wouldn't have made much of a difference what tyres you were on, a little extra edge grip on the corners would have been reassuring...:eek:

Bri-72

Nov 19, 2018
Inverness
That is a non boost fork (100mm axle). Pretty sure you’re wheel and current fork is boost (110mm). You’d need to check whether you’re wheel I should easily convertible to 100mm. Also you may lose some tyre clearance on a non boost fork.

In terms of travel, I’ve certainlyfitted a 150mm Pike Fork to mine which is 10mm extra but hasn’t altered the handling much. 160mm would slacken the geometry even more.

Bri-72

Nov 19, 2018
Inverness
Bammbamm yes boost is I think what you need. I would check the axle to crown measurements off the sram website for the lyrik and compare to what’s in the bike. Ie are you raising the front end by 10m, 20mm or more. In terms of impact in front and handling. Do also bear in mind for warranty focus could state you’re using s long fork than frame was designed for.

Tyres i went for ultra grip so magic Mary’s front and rear.

BammBamm

Nov 21, 2018
Straya
I went to do the firmware update using e tube but it just hangs at about 40%. It’s now “bricked” my bike and can’t do anything! WTH Shimano!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles