Focus Advice - Thron2 or JAM2

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
Given the shortage of bike stock I will be faced with either a 4 month wait for a Focus Thron2 2022 or go with an in stock JAM2.

My usage case perfectly fits what Focus market the Thron for, as I will def will be doing a lot of "more comfortable upright" riding and nothing overly ambitious trail wise, I also like that you can add a rear rack to the Thron's built in rear rack mounting points.

If the JAM2 is just as good for more upright comfort riding them I would prob go for whats in stock. Any recommendations from people familiar with riding the models ?

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
You're not going to find too many here with experience of both & so you're leaving yourself open to the emotional investment of owners who've sunk cash into either one of them who are more likely than not to tell you how good their bikes are. If you can swing a leg over a Jam2 & take it for a spin, that's the best option to help you make your mind up.

What I can say is the Jam2 is a medium travel trail bike with a 66 degree head angle, 427mm chainstay vs the Thron with 66.8 degrees & 455 & so is aimed squarely at trail bashing. Based on what you describe above, you may find that a touch too aggressive for your needs but I'd suggest there isn't really a huge range of differences between the two for most riders.

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
The Thron2 has a bosch motor while the Jam2 has a shimano right? So maybe this is important to take into consideration if you have a preference for one of the two systems.

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
Bit the bullet and got the JAM2 better to be riding for the next 5 months than waiting for stock. Will see how it goes.

JAM2.jpg

hmoon101

Dec 22, 2021
AUS
Nice rear rack. I went with Jam2 7.9 just because it was in stock. I ride it to commute during weekdays and to local trail on weekends.

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
Saddle that came with the bike horribly uncomfortable. Was a " Selle Boost X3" saddle, not the saddle listed on the specs but I believe with the global parts shortage manufacturers are substituting. Will change the saddle to sort that issue.

Also waiting on some handlebars with 40mm rise to try to see if I reduce the reach slightly. The spacers already came all "under" the bar so already as high as it goes.

Loving the Bosch motor and Kiox controller.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles