Focus Jam2 or Polygon Bromo

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Have put a small deposit down on a Jam2 6.9 which I'd lose if I pulled out, just just got a 20% off go-outdoors vouched, had a browse, and the Bromo is £4500 less £900 = £3600 almost £1400 less than the Jam2. Spec looks of a very similar level, any opinions on these?

Would probably prefer the Bosch to the Shimano, but that's a lot less money

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's a funky looking bike.

I guess it depends also what you want from your rides.

The Bromo has the Shimano motor, which will generally give you less range than the Bosch, plus the Bromo has a 500wh battery rather than a 630wh battery, so you'll loose range there too.

If you'd already envisaged a certain amount of climbing/distance with the Jam, you won't achieve that with the Bromo. If your rides are shorter/slower/less elevation then that won't really make any difference to you.

But who doesn't like to save money though !

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
It's a funky looking bike.

I guess it depends also what you want from your rides.

The Bromo has the Shimano motor, which will generally give you less range than the Bosch, plus the Bromo has a 500wh battery rather than a 630wh battery, so you'll loose range there too.

If you'd already envisaged a certain amount of climbing/distance with the Jam, you won't achieve that with the Bromo. If your rides are shorter/slower/less elevation then that won't really make any difference to you.

But who doesn't like to save money though !
My thought's exactly, you can pick the Shimano batteries up for £300, rides at the moment would be OK, but bigger rides in the future are certainly probable.

There's also the snob in me that says Focus = posh, Go-outdoors = a bit chavvy

I think my head and heart both say Focus! I'm just being a tightarse :)

Andrew426

Sep 27, 2022
New Zealand
What spec bromo are you looking at? The N8 (the first google result) is pretty well specced, the slacker head angle, 38 elite and x2 make it a far better choice for an Enduro bike than the focus. The wheelset and battery arent as good as the focus but there's aftermarket batteries available for that system (unlike the Bosch) so you could buy a bigger battery cheap enough and keep the 500 as a spare/second battery - which is pretty cool. The rear suspension design with a rocker in the lower pivot would make it a bit faster rolling than the jam2 as well.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Riding around with a spare battery in your rucksack will get old quickly. You live with the consequences long after the price is forgotten, so as Zimmer says, it pays to consider what you actually want from a bike & choose accordingly.

Andrew426

Sep 27, 2022
New Zealand
Riding around with a spare battery in your rucksack will get old quickly. You live with the consequences long after the price is forgotten, so as Zimmer says, it pays to consider what you actually want from a bike & choose accordingly.
I meant to leave in the car, so you can swap batteries if you return to the carpark for a lunch/drink break. Or alternatively if you are travelling, camping etc. And don't have access to a charger to charge overnight a spare battery can come in handy.

I don't think I ever suggested people would ride around with a spare battery in a backpack. That would be a pretty dumb thing to do.

WogsRus

Sep 13, 2021
Tasmania, Hobart
I have a mt bromo n8. Done close to 3000kms and it has been faultless. I got a second battery and upgraded the wheels, not because the stock wheel sick, just because I managed to get a wicked deal on some fr560 wheels.

It climbs away better than my mates jam2 6.8 and down hill is am absolute tank, and I mean that, it hammers.

Have a look at flow magazine, they did a full review on the n8 and also if you go to bikes online Australia, you will see my review.

Dollar for dollar, the n8 outspecs the focus big time

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Have a look at flow magazine, they did a full review on the n8 and also if you go to bikes online Aus
Dollar for dollar, the n8 outspecs the focus big time

Thats a compelling statement! Another consideration is I can get the Jam2 6.9 through a cycle to work scheme so it will in fact cost me less than the Bromo, and 12 months interest free! The Bromo looks great for the money and 20% off that is an absolute steal!

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
I can get the Jam2 6.9 through a cycle to work scheme so it will in fact cost me less than the Bromo

Think you just answered your own question there John
You are right! Ordered, and Jam2 6.9 should be with me in s few days. I suspect some time in 2023 we'll see the smart system on the Jam2's, they are already announced for the Thron and Jafira, but it could be mid-year before they hit the shops, and I'll bet the price will have gone up too. Looked at a Whyte e160 with the smart system and the mini LED display, looks really good, but think the Focus is way better value.

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
We’ll, I bottled it and cancelled the Jam2 6.9 :(. Decided it’s daft buying a new bike now and I should wait til all the 2023 models are out. The little Bosch LED control looks great, would love the new smart system. Also give me a chance to try a few rather than buying blind

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles