Flats or Clip Ins???

Hoochy Glider

Jul 30, 2020
Australia
Ok so I rode trail 20+ years ago then haven’t ridden until two months ago I got a turbo Levo. Back in the day I wore clip ins. Now I got clip ins and it feels good but I hate that I cannot get a foot off peddle free of action.
what’s the pros and cons please?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I wish I could use clip ins. A foot / ankle injury and I can't get my left out in those slow manouvering / stalling moments - I must have slammed my left hip and shoulder 100 times literally. I've gone to flats and I know it has saved me so many times. I've got gnarly pins that want blood - the type that are totally threaded and screw in with an allen key. Others will tell you here - if you go flats it pays to have shoes that go with them - the general consensus is five ten freeride or freeride pro. I've kept spd pedals (shimano clip ins) on a hardtail non e bike - tried flats on it and my feet kept bouncing off. I never seem to get in trouble with that bike though; maybe because it's so light? I'm starting to play on jumps now; a couple of times I've lost the pedals and shinned myself; there's a learning issue there for me :oops:. Welcome, have fun and good luck :)

Hoochy Glider

Jul 30, 2020
Australia
I wish I could use clip ins. A foot / ankle injury and I can't get my left out in those slow manouvering / stalling moments - I must have slammed my left hip and shoulder 100 times literally. I've gone to flats and I know it has saved me so many times. I've got gnarly pins that want blood - the type that are totally threaded and screw in with an allen key. Others will tell you here - if you go flats it pays to have shoes that go with them - the general consensus is five ten freeride or freeride pro. I've kept spd pedals (shimano clip ins) on a hardtail non e bike - tried flats on it and my feet kept bouncing off. I never seem to get in trouble with that bike though; maybe because it's so light? I'm starting to play on jumps now; a couple of times I've lost the pedals and shinned myself; there's a learning issue there for me :oops:. Welcome, have fun and good luck :)
I’m getting the feeling I may benefit from going to flats. I fear loosing my pedals too. I’m learning to ride again practically. It’s been so long. I can’t even remember how to wheelie and I did it always as a kid. Sorry correction. My body doesn’t remember how to do a wheelie. ???

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I use spd flats with magnetic peddles. Seems to be the best of both worlds.
Back in January 2020 I drew and designed these to cope with my issues …then I googled “magnetic peddles “. Probably saved myself a lot of money.
Anyways, I can’t be clipped-in and my left foot bounces off the peddle with flats. I sometimes have to stop and visually place my foot on the peddle. I don’t think about disengagement anymore …I just do it. There seems to be a slightly different movement which I’m able to do quickly.
These peddles may not be for everyone but they sure work for me.

Obebiker

Aug 1, 2020
South Wales
I’ve been riding clipless for over 25 years and moved to flats recently after buying Levo Sl. Bought some big flat pedals and five ten shoes and seem to be getting on ok with them so far, it’s nice being able to walk properly and it’s a nice big platform for your feet, I do find my feet shifting around a lot trying to get the right position though but not had them come off at all yet. I will say that riding today on flats it would have been nice to pull up with my feet over a log I rode over rather than bashing the bottom bracket but I guess this is a technique issue..........and a lower bottom bracket than im used to. Im gonna stick with flats for time being but will try clipless on the Levo at some stage. I think I do miss that attached to bike feeling.

i will say theres no winter and proper water proof boots option for flats which is an issue for me as I suffer from really cold feet— reynards

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
i will say theres no winter and proper water proof boots option for flats which is an issue for me as I suffer from really cold feet— reynards

I had horrific looking Northwave goretex boots last winter when riding my Stumpjumper. I’ve given up on clipless, and use flats too.

Need to find something warm and waterproof for flats for this winter, as I’m a Raynaud’s sufferer too.
The Northwave boots have terrible grip on flat pedals - even with big pins. Soles are way too hard!

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I have rode with spd,s for about the last 25 years with flats now and then. Just bought a new bike and put flats on it and love them but have no proper footwear. Have been looking at getting 5/10 free rider pro and keeping flats for a while but cant decide if I need my shoe size or a size bigger for winter riding with socks. Can’t be bothered with ordering my size and then if to tight with socks sending them back etc. Or do I just keep to SPD,s. Decisions are not my best point. (y)

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I have rode with spd,s for about the last 25 years with flats now and then. Just bought a new bike and put flats on it and love them but have no proper footwear. Have been looking at getting 5/10 free rider pro and keeping flats for a while but cant decide if I need my shoe size or a size bigger for winter riding with socks. Can’t be bothered with ordering my size and then if to tight with socks sending them back etc. Or do I just keep to SPD,s. Decisions are not my best point. (y)

If you’re buying 5:10’s you’ll probably need a FULL size bigger anyway - that’s not counting adding thick socks. Both pairs I have are a size bigger than all my other shoes / trainers, and I’m just wearing normal socks.

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
Vanilla-Chocolate
Coke-Pepsi
Marvel-DC
VHS-Beta

Both ways are good, it depends where you ride and if you are willing to give up a little bit of efficiency for adjusting your position on the pedal. No wrong answer, no right answer. I rode clipless ofr 25 years, I have been flats for the past 3....I like it better but would have no problem going back...but would prefer not to. ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles