Flats or clipless ???

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
I've only Eva used flats on my normal MTB I've just bought a E-MTB and thinking about clipless pedals.

What you guys think ?

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Since you've only just bought a E-MTB stay with flats. Even if you were used to clipless peddles, I'd stay begin with flats because it will take you a while to get to know how the motor responds and how quickly you can be forced onto a different line or off track because the motor response was far more than you expected.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There is no need to use clipless pedals on an EMTB, unless that's what you are used to or your preference.

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
I used to ride clips on my old clockwork MTB but changed to flats when I bought my E.

I don't feel any need for the precision of clips to pedal with motor assistance. Also I'm riding more challenging terrain on my new bike and falling off a lot, so I'm happier unclipped.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I am clipped in on my MTB, but the first few times on eMTB I used flats, simply because it's faster to save a crash from happening (on a new faster bike).
Then I clipped in my eMTB, when I learned how it handled on the flats.

I feel more comfortable and controlled when clipped in.....I feel I'm loosing control when jumping/airtime (might be caused by missing flats practice).

It was also a bit faster for me - but less than expected.
What really changed my speed during our trails, was when I changed my region to US (32kmh)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I tried clipless and found they provided little or no benefit for me except on tarmac...and the only time I ride on tarmac is if it is necessary to get to a trail. On the trails I found the clipless shoes totally useless and uncomfortable when not on the bike and pretty disastrous on the bike for any crash scenario, even minor offs, due to picking the wrong line. They also encouraged me to lift the bike with my feet, which is not a good habit! So flats for me. With the right shoe and pedal my foot sticks to the pedal like it is araldited all the time I am in the attack position, yet easy to get off the pedal when needed. I use DMR v12s and Nike skateboard shoes.

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
Tried both, prefer flats.
I do use clips, in the summer on my commuter (which is my haibike allmnt sduro rc), but that's because it's warmer and less wet and I've got shoes that need wearing and that I'm a women who just needs more shoes....!!!;)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Are you all crazy? Someone tell me if clips help reduce lumps of flesh being torn off your shins, no-one has made mention of this here? Do you all have shin skin replenishment super hero abilities or something? :D Obv I have a emtb , I don't care about 1% power efficiency, more so keeping flesh on bone and is it possible to setup easy on a sharp decent being noob lvl still?

Last edited:

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Always been on flats. Rode my Rocky for the first year/5000km on flats, but once I got my head around the Altitude's capabilities and lack of suspension finesse, I went to spd. Being able to pull up on the approaching pedal allows for a more constant delivery, making for brilliant steep and technical climbing ability. It also allows more power consumption... This may be a Dyname-specific thing and not make such a difference on other bikes. The fast way to figure out clips is to go for a ride and fit a wet downhill track in there. By the time you get down, un-clipping, getting a foot out and banging it back on multiple times will be second nature (y)

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
I've debated this with myself for many months, switching from one to the other & just cant seem to make my mind up on which to stick with. On one side I feel happier with the flats, thinking that I somehow feel safer being able to quickly get my foot down in an instant of wrong line choice, even though when things happen one often doesn't have time & end up hitting the dirt anyway. Then, on one of my local technical trails, I have never made it through on flats but first time on clipless & success. I felt that they somehow allowed me to hold a better balance when slowly maneuvering around rocks?
Shimano do a good bail out option cleat that releases a'lot easier than a standard cleat?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles