Flats or clipless ???

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
hmmmmm so for trail riding mainly, The SH-56 and what footware?
Any shoe that accepts Shimano cleats as they have the same 2 bolt system like the standard cleats, I have a pair of Shimano and Northwave shoes. One with a stiff sole, the other with a softer more trail orientated sole. Think I will be selling my flats so I have no choice but to clip in?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Any shoe that accepts Shimano cleats as they have the same 2 bolt system like the standard cleats, I have a pair of Shimano and Northwave shoes. One with a stiff sole, the other with a softer more trail orientated sole. Think I will be selling my flats so I have no choice but to clip in?

I've seen the types that have cleat cut outs but the rest seem to have the flat profile too....not sure why this is as it seems to occupy the most crucial part of the sole so not sure what the aim is? I like the idea that one day someone might want to try cleats and still use the same shoe but I cant see how that works....its kind of one or the other by looks.

I'm steering more towards trying five tens on flats but still not really sure,I am a novice and my feet do bounce around with my trainers and on minor landings, then when trying to set myself up on decents I'm lucky to be getting my feet in the right position, muscle memory no doubt!

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I've seen the types that have cleat cut outs but the rest seem to have the flat profile too....not sure why this is as it seems to occupy the most crucial part of the sole so not sure what the aim is? I like the idea that one day someone might want to try cleats and still use the same shoe but I cant see how that works....its kind of one or the other by looks.

I'm steering more towards trying five tens on flats but still not really sure,I am a novice and my feet do bounce around with my trainers and on minor landings, then when trying to set myself up on decents I'm lucky to be getting my feet in the right position, muscle memory no doubt!

Push your heels down, flex at the knees - the best suspension there is.

Also other shoe brands are less sticky, I have Bontrager. You get 30 day no quibble try out on them.

I rode clipless > 20 years, switched to flats when I got my Levo and have stuck with it. I don't believe in the supposed efficiency gain for clipless (roadie pros excepted perhaps) and I really like being able to use different foot positions.

Maybe people doing big air have a case for being clipped in. I don't do that!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've ridden clips for over 25 years so didn't see any reason to change
I've been riding Flats since December and I'd like to think it's made me a better rider. The clips were disguising a multitude of sins and while I still can't bunnyhop on demand my jumping has improved massively.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles