From clips to flats?

TBL79

Nov 5, 2020
Finland
Hi all. Just few days proud owner of levo comp and I'am enjoying it a lot. I was 5 years away from bikes and in the past I have been racing enduro,xc, road and over 10y ago one season also dh. And motorbike enduro also 10y ago. So here's the past. I'am going to race next summer enduro on ebike series and just what you think about changing clips to flat? Reason for that is that somehow this ebike wants me to try different trails and hard rock climbs and some kind of trial, practicing endos wheelies etc... I have always ride my bikes clipped and raced clipped. I'am used to that, I can unclip if something happens but as in flat maybe you can push it little bit further before "bailing" out. What you think? Or is this some middle age problem? Opinions?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As with normal bikes its personal preference - obviously on an EMTB you get no peddling advantages from riding clipped in, but if its what you are used then no reason not to ride with clips - however as its been a while since you rode at all then no harm giving flats a try either, just remember not to pull up on the pedals when jumping :cool:.

My logic between the two is that with racing you are going full tilt boogie death or glory anyway, so if you are going to crash its likely to be a big un where being able to get your foot off the pedal quickly isn't going to be any advantage, but if you are larking around and having fun is tyour main aim over setting times, then flats fit the bill.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I used to ride mtb 20 years ago, I'm 52 now, back then I pushed and pushed and became fairly fit for an average bloke, I progressed to clipped in pedals and it defiantly gave me an edge on the upstroke, I also had several offs one resulting in a broken rib from being attached to the bike.
I'm just a normal emtb rider but cant think of anything worse than being attached to the bike. At least with not being clipped in it gives you an option of bailing out and protecting your bike more than yourself :) , honestly there's no need to clip in on an emtb unless you wont to restrict its abilities and where it can take you.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I did the same and I found it quite hard to get used to flats after so long on clips and after a year im still wobbling on the edge of going back to clips but for the reasons you state, bailing, mx leg out stylee etc, I stick to em

jeff400650

Nov 15, 2020
Nicasio, Marin County
I am new to emtb riding too, and also thought I'd try flats even though I am used to spd. The one problem that made me go back to clips, was that I had a hard time getting my pedal back up in a starting position after a bobble. I like being able to instantly get my pedals exactly where I want in any situation by lifting my foot. Went back to clipped in and feel like they have actually saved me from some falls by keeping me connected and turning.

TBL79

Nov 5, 2020
Finland
Well, I will try flat pedals and let see how it feels. :) Thanks for all and keep posting thoughts. ? :)

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I've recently switched to Magped magnetic pedals. All the benefits of both systems: quick and easy to "unclip"; easy to change foot position (I get foot pain so can't use spd anymore); but enough "sticking power" to hold my foot on when going over rock gardens (where I kept losing my grip with Five Tens and DMR flats fitted with aggresive pins).

Downsides: it's possible to tear your foot off the pedal with enough strength (maybe that's not a downside). Can be a bit odd trying to get your foot into exactly the right spot (but as I have to move my feet around anyway, maybe that's no downside either). Cost.

They are kind of a halfway house: stickier than flats with grippy shoes but you are still not entirely "fixed" to the bike.

Explosivo

Feb 26, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I moved to flats, best thing I’ve done.
Previously my offs where generally because I couldn’t get feet down quick enough. Since moving to flats had no problems. Purchased a great set of shinners that fit like socks too.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I prefer flats simply because I don't need special shoes.
I can ride in anything from trainers to hiking boots

AusE

Dec 3, 2019
Australia
I tried the same been riding clips for 25yrs DH, XC, Enduro just couldn't get the disconnected feeling out of my head especially when jumping. Went back to clips and cant see any disadvantages at all, if your used to them stick with them. Also trail or dh platform clips are the go.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
^^^
100% ..not quite as long ..maybe 20years ..but everyone tells me that I would feel more "confident" on flats ..
Really ?..
I'm assuming by confident it refers to the fact that I would be able to react quicker to the impending doom of an accident as its about to happen ..
All I know is that when I have tried them I get a whole lot more pedal strikes and it lessens my ability to ride narrow (trench type) singletrack where the width of the flattie is constantly trying to knock me off ( ooo-er missus ) ..
Once used to them it takes a nano-second to unclip..so I will be sticking with them until I pop my clogs ( so to speak ) ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles