Fitting lights to a TQ HPR50 powered bike

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
I have been looking into what is needed to power front and rear lights from the TQ main battery for my wife’s Scott Lumen eRide.

Has anyone done this and could confirm my findings?

There are no connectors for lights on the motor. TQ offers a smartbox which needs to be mounted near the display inside the top tube. The smartbox goes between the main motor harness and the display. It then provides a number of short cables and two of those can be used for lights.

The smartbox will cost about 110€. You’ll need one or two short cables with the special connector TQ uses on the smartbox cable ends. These are offered by Lupine or Supernova for 20€ each. After mounting the box and cables inside the frame you need to see a TQ dealer and have him activate the two light connectors, probably for another 20€.

So, without any lamps and mounts the whole project will cost at least 150€ just to prepare the bike.

Does this look right or have I missed something? Is there an easier/cheaper way?

I know I could go for battery powered lights, but my wife’s Scott has a fully integrated cockpit which doesn’t easily accommodate strap-on holders and for the look alone my wife wouldn’t want them.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
@friendlywrench
Thanks for your response.
When I told my wife what it would cost to put two lights on her bike, she stopped the project. 🤷‍♂️
She normally only rides during daylight and has a battery powered frontlight from her old bike.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
For night rides I use a stem mount light , a helmet mount light and a seat post mounted red taillight. These are all chargeable with a mini-usb and can be easily removed when not needed. I don’t rely on internal wiring or the bike battery.

Some helmets now have red taillights.

Mar 12, 2022
Chicago, IL
@friendlywrench
Thanks for your response.
When I told my wife what it would cost to put two lights on her bike, she stopped the project. 🤷‍♂️
She normally only rides during daylight and has a battery powered frontlight from her old bike.
I'd recommend a couple of things:

1. Check eBay and see if you have any good options there. I don't know where you're located, but within the US I can get a smart box for less than 80USD.

2. If you're handy, you can just cut off the light connector from the smart box and splice in your own. You don't *have* to use their odd connector.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
1. Check eBay and see if you have any good options there.
I‘m based in Germany and the best price over here is 110€ (120 USD). Trek Germany sells it for that price as spare part. My Scott LBS wanted 250€!
2. If you're handy, you can just cut off the light connector from the smart box and splice in your own.
That is good advice - I hadn‘t thought about that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles