TQ HPR50 Grinding Noise

Ziggy

May 15, 2023
Washington
This thread appears to have died? Wondering if there has been any resolution from TQ, and also how prevalent the problem really is? I did have the grinding problem. Based on the discussions on the forum, I was ok with waiting for a solution, but wanted to get on record with Trek for warranty purposes. Trek went ahead and replaced the motor, and so far so good - hoping it doesn’t repeat!

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
This thread appears to have died? Wondering if there has been any resolution from TQ, and also how prevalent the problem really is? I did have the grinding problem. Based on the discussions on the forum, I was ok with waiting for a solution, but wanted to get on record with Trek for warranty purposes. Trek went ahead and replaced the motor, and so far so good - hoping it doesn’t repeat!
From what I read I get the impression that their clutch is a possible design flaw.

There is also some drag issues that might have the same root cause as this grinding noise. For example read Post in thread

While riding at Brown County State Park in Indiana this past Saturday, we stopped after a climb and chatted with another group of riders. One of them was a Trek employee involved with their ebikes (and riding an EXe) that had come down from Wisconsin. Among other questions, I asked about this drag and he confirmed it is a real thing caused by the clutch not fully disengaging. He told me the best way around it is to turn the bike off to climb with no assist. He also said that early on they just used warranty replacement to deal with some problems and that this drag is not considered a warranty item now.

'Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!' Fuel EXe - Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Seems like something is going on behind the scenes.

There are also rumours about a new motor revision and that its introduction into the production is causing delays. My LBS told me first that my bike is delayed because Trek told him TQ wants to improve "something" first. And then a month later Trek told him the missing part is the motor.

For me this sound like they planned to introduce a new motor revision thats delayed. Maybe they had to swap many motors and noticed their is something wrong. And they would rather take some deliver delays then warrantying anymore motors.

Last edited:

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
From what I read I get the impression that their clutch is a possible design flaw.

There is also some drag issues that might have the same root cause as this grinding noise. For example read Post in thread

While riding at Brown County State Park in Indiana this past Saturday, we stopped after a climb and chatted with another group of riders. One of them was a Trek employee involved with their ebikes (and riding an EXe) that had come down from Wisconsin. Among other questions, I asked about this drag and he confirmed it is a real thing caused by the clutch not fully disengaging. He told me the best way around it is to turn the bike off to climb with no assist. He also said that early on they just used warranty replacement to deal with some problems and that this drag is not considered a warranty item now.

'Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!' Fuel EXe - Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Seems like something is going on behind the scenes.

There are also rumours about a new motor revision and that its introduction into the production is causing delays. My LBS told me first that my bike is delayed because Trek told him TQ wants to improve "something" first. And then a month later Trek told him the missing part is the motor.

For me this sound like they planned to introduce a new motor revision thats delayed. Maybe they had to swap many motors and noticed their is something wrong. And they would rather take some deliver delays then warrantying anymore motors.
This seems eminently reasonable. I was one of the first ones to complain about the grinding sound on this forum but since my local dealer swap the motors with another bike my EXE has been perfect, a few months ago.

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
I got new motor instaled yestrday on Scott lumen 900, TOTALY different story then with old one. Motor is SOOOO SILENT no drag, no ticking....AMAZING. Only data shown on garmin about power input is still not the best...but motor is A M A Z I N G
Did the LBS told you something that its a new motor revision or just produced in 2023?

CliffP

Jan 24, 2023
San Antonio Texas
Do you think the noise is a fault, or is it just part of the motor design that causes it (like the bosch / shimano backlash rattle)?

Does the grinding noise cause any issues, or is it just an unpleasant sound?

I havent noticed it on mine, but can sometimes hear more of a slight ticking noise...
My Ride 60 motor does the exact same thing. I have no performance issues . It has done this sense new. I have not heard anyone else talk about this.

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
Hello here i am a French tq motor partenaire i will ask soon to tq about the grining noise we have a webinar with them in end of august.
I reproduced this grinding noise on my demo bike
I will let you know
I really look forward to your hearing what’s going on with PQ. Several months ago my local bike shop swapped motors and my motors been perfect ever cents. If I try really hard I can make it reproduce the sound, but almost never does it occur on its own

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
I really look forward to your hearing what’s going on with PQ. Several months ago my local bike shop swapped motors and my motors been perfect ever cents. If I try really hard I can make it reproduce the sound, but almost never does it occur on its own
I still have the noise on mine. Just crossed the 1000 mile mark on the bike. It hasn‘t gotten worse so I sort of got used to it.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
After warranty claim new motor is on the way

Yeah, that is the noise I have as well. So far, I didn’t ask them to replace the motor. Figured I wait until I get closer to the end of my warranty period to ensure I get one that is improved. I might go this route next month. The fact that they are replacing the motors under warranty and not explain why this noise is normal, might suggest that there is indeed a problem that may get worse over time. I have 1000 miles on mine now and it seems to have stayed the same.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Yeah, that is the noise I have as well. So far, I didn’t ask them to replace the motor. Figured I wait until I get closer to the end of my warranty period to ensure I get one that is improved. I might go this route next month. The fact that they are replacing the motors under warranty and not explain why this noise is normal, might suggest that there is indeed a problem that may get worse over time. I have 1000 miles on mine now and it seems to have stayed the same.

Wearing my engineering hat, one of my least favorite things is having problems in the field that customers are silently dealing with - especially for new products and especially especially if I think it’s a rare problem but it’s actually not.

Wearing my customer hat, that noise would make me engage warranty ASAP.

MarkoNZ

Aug 6, 2023
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah have the same issue, think it’s an engagement issue for me when I’m not putting enough power into the cranks. Happens when I’m in to lower gear for the speed I’m going. Doesn’t seem to cause any other issues and goes away when pedalling normally. The bike shop will talk to trek. Not quite as constant as the you tube video in the above threads for me.

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
All of you that have issues: What support Level Power do you use on average? I wonder if it relates to how hard or close to its max power the motor is used. Since its a low power motor maybe there is some more wear if used closer to its max power capacity. Engineering is always about trade off. Maybe they designed everything for low power usage.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
All of you that have issues: What support Level Power do you use on average? I wonder if it relates to how hard or close to its max power the motor is used. Since its a low power motor maybe there is some more wear if used closer to its max power capacity. Engineering is always about trade off. Maybe they designed everything for low power usage.
I mostly use trail (mid) mode with max set to 200 watts. For a long time my high mode was useless as it didn‘t work correctly until a software update last April. I had the noise from the very beginning. It appears in all modes but only at watts below 20.

MarkoNZ

Aug 6, 2023
Auckland, New Zealand
Mainly use level 2. As per the above reply happens in all modes for me.

To me it seems to be an engagement issue when I’m not putting enough power into the cranks. Happens when I’m in to lower gear for the speed I’m going and therefore putting very little power myself into the crank. E.g when I get to the bottom of a descent or drop the gears too much for a climb.

Was quiet for first 8 months. Approx 600kms. At this stage it’s seems just to be a noise issue no noticeable performance effect. Still will get LBS to sort with trek 🤞

Last edited:

MarkoNZ

Aug 6, 2023
Auckland, New Zealand
Mainly use level 2. As per the above reply happens in all modes for me.

To me it seems to be an engagement issue when I’m not putting enough power into the cranks. Happens when I’m in to lower gear for the speed I’m going and therefore putting very little power myself into the crank. E.g when I get to the bottom of a descent or drop the gears too much for a climb.

Was quiet for first 8 months. Approx 600kms. At this stage it’s seems just to be a noise issue no noticeable performance effect. Still will get LBS to sort with trek 🤞
Update : the LBS did some checks/adjustments as instructed by Trek. Made no difference and now they have agreed to replace the motor, is a few week wait but not a big deal. Unfortunately, they are not to forthcoming with an explanation, which I suppose is their prerogative, so I can’t shed any light on the root cause. Fingers crossed the new one doesn’t develop the same issue over time.
Suppose this is the risk going electric more things to go wrong😂. Mates specialized is on 3rd motor and 2nd frame. Still, can’t fault the service of the LBS and ultimately Trek is coming to the party.

Last edited:

pat1032

Feb 22, 2023
santa cruz
My girlfriend got her 9.7 Exe in July of 2022. No early motor issues or noises, had all of the service bulletin work completed and has loved the bike for 1800 miles. Two rides ago, said she could occasionally hear a clicking noise as she pedaled. I ensured everything was tight, cleaned the drive train, and lubed the chain. During our ride yesterday, it started making the sound again. Now, it is constant regardless of mode, cadence, or torque put on the motor. I rode it and it sounds like the Predator from the Schwarzenegger movie. The chainring was tight and no discernable loss of power, just a constant, noticeable sound that was never there before. She rode it directly to the LBS. They checked the chainring lock nut and it was at 50nm, so she just left it for them to look into. I'm certain after 1800 miles she has encountered every scenario the motor could and it was never a characteristic before. Is it irrational to think that this known sound is only now occuring 8.5 months later could be indicative of a fault or that something is failing? Hopefully, it can be resolved quickly.
You get this issue resolved? Mine is making that clicking noise whenever I pedal uphill but intermittently. Not the grinding sound others are talking about here.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
You get this issue resolved? Mine is making that clicking noise whenever I pedal uphill but intermittently. Not the grinding sound others are talking about here.
mine is doing this too. a little above 2000 KM on mine. I have no idea if this will turn out to be a problem in the long run. Right now it's just annoying.

Decolocsta

Aug 10, 2022
Germany
Clicking noise, if Sounds like Shoe laces hitting the Crankarm?

I had that to.
The newer versions of the TQ have adjustable Motor Mounts.
The Upper one was Fine.
The lower one had some Play, After readjusting the Noise went away.

IMG_5886.jpeg
IMG_5884.jpeg
IMG_5885.jpeg
IMG_5887.jpeg

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Clicking noise, if Sounds like Shoe laces hitting the Crankarm?

I had that to.
The newer versions of the TQ have adjustable Motor Mounts.
The Upper one was Fine.
The lower one had some Play, After readjusting the Noise went away.
Thanks for the nice walkthrough and pictures.
That however is not how mine sounds. It's more like a leaf caught in the wheel type of sound. Only makes the sound when the motor is working, not free wheeling or pedaling without motor on or pedaling without motor engaging.

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
Great to hear your new motor is performing better hopefully I will have the same success. As I said in my previous post mine stops giving assistance when the noise happens, this can be whilst I'm going uphill putting in 80 to 90 W and the motor should be giving 40 to 50W, so more than just a noise with mine.
Most annoying but overall a great bike, I love the silent motor.
how is it a silent motor when you are hearing an audible noise???

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
This is the sound my motor is making and this is after a new motor install unfortunately. Did your issue with this sound get resolved?
That is exactly the sound mine made before talked to LBS into swapping motors with another bike on the floor. I can reproduce the sound faintly in the new motor, but only if I'm trying to operate it low torque from me guess the odds are good if you can swap motors again, that it you might get one that doesn't make the sound?

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
Given all the resources and expense, it would take to diagnose, analyze, re-engineer hardware, re-engineer software, test hundreds of new versions to find the one or two that are failing, and to establish who pays for this and replacements, whether trek or TQ, or how to apportion, all to satisfy the 100 or so writers who detect this problem, it may be the most reasonable, rational decision by track and TQ to remain silent

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
i got my motor replaced at around december 2023. Grinding noice stopped. Frame ticking is still there and no noticeable difference in power or any other miracle revalations.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles