TQ hpr50 firmware updates

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It would be great to get a list of the different motor/battery/display firmware versions and the main changes made in each version,and the date the firmware was released.

@Roman , any chance you could provide the above details here,or if they are on the website could you point us at them.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
not sure how long this page has been up, but it contains details of the latest motor/battery firmwares

it doesnt tell you the details of any changes between firmware versions, but its a start at least

INterestingly it states you need to have your battery on the very latest firmware version in order to use the range extender battery - hopefully the range extender will be available soon

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
@Roman - I Just noticed that an updated firmware for the motor has been released today- I would love to know what is changing in all these different firmware in order to decide whether I should bother taking my bike to the dealer and getting it updated - its not a quick process to take my bike to the dealer and get an update, so understanding whether its worth my while would be a great help.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Can anyone tell me how to find the installed firmware version on this motor?

My wife has just received her new Scott Lumen eRide 900 and I would like to check the revision status.

I have paired the bike with the TQ app but can’t find any info on firmware or serial numbers for the motor and the battery.

What am I missing?
Does the app notify me about the availability of any updates?

Thanks!

Pean

Apr 23, 2023
Poland
Can anyone tell me how to find the installed firmware version on this motor?

My wife has just received her new Scott Lumen eRide 900 and I would like to check the revision status.

I have paired the bike with the TQ app but can’t find any info on firmware or serial numbers for the motor and the battery.

What am I missing?
Does the app notify me about the availability of any updates?

Thanks!
It is not possible to check the software version in the TQ application. You can only check it with the dealer (if he has a dongle). The application does not notify about the update..

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
It is not possible to check the software version in the TQ application. You can only check it with the dealer (if he has a dongle). The application does not notify about the update..
Thank you.
A bit disappointing for such new technology. At least I now know where to go.

PeVaPu

Nov 30, 2023
Belgium
I wrote to TQ and told them that being 100% dealer dependency for software updates is not done in 2024. If we all write to them, chance is they will react eventually!!

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
Their biggest problem is that tq doesnt develop app for their motors. App developer is outside company.

PeVaPu

Nov 30, 2023
Belgium
Their biggest problem is that tq doesnt develop app for their motors. App developer is outside company.
It might be a problem, but - honestly - it is TQ's problem. They just have to address it! They are responsible for the people they work with. In the end it is TQ who has to deliver if they ambition a happy customer base.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I suspect there is virtually no chance of this happening. Roman from TQ was a member on here a year or so ago and was very enthusiastic about getting everyone input in to how to improve things, but he very quickly deleted his account and never came back.

I suspect the current HPR 50 has had all the development its going to get and it will be an entirely new motor that gets any substantial improvements. There hasnt been a firmware update since January last year.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Today there was an update for the TQ app on iOS available.

New features are
  1. ability to read and show firmware versions of all TQ components on the bike (motor, battery, display, range extender, smart box) and
  2. in the tuning section you can now set a speed limit in addition to your other support values.
Slowly, but still progress.

PeVaPu

Nov 30, 2023
Belgium
Very poor customer support as a whole. I contacted them twice about their lousy cadence and power measuring. They even did not find it useful to answer. And that hurts when you spend that much money on a bike.

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
Yes. They change also 2x motor in my case. But after 3x started clicking again i sold scott lumen for change.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
New features are
  1. ability to read and show firmware versions of all TQ components on the bike (motor, battery, display, range extender, smart box) and
  2. in the tuning section you can now set a speed limit in addition to your other support values.
A short update to the practical use of the new features.

On my wife’s bike which had all TQ components updated to newest firmware end of November 2023 the new features do not work. :confused:

From a small pop-up tip I learned that the TQ components need to be on the latest available firmware for the new app features to work. Checking the TQ website I found much higher version numbers for all main components than the ones installed in November.

Last week I have sent an email to TQ support asking whether there is any other significant improvement to justify paying my LBS for another update after only three months.

No answer yet.

Does anyone here know what has been improved with the recent motor updates?

One more fun fact: On the new screen showing software versions the first item is the motor serial number. That can be read and displayed even with the older firmware. But, as soon as you turn the motor off, the info vanishes from the app. It is not stored and so you have to take a screenshot for later use. Modern IT!

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Last week I have sent an email to TQ support asking whether there is any other significant improvement to justify paying my LBS for another update after only three months.

No answer yet.
I received an answer yesterday (after a short reminder).

TQ confirmed that you need to install the component updates to make the new app functionalities work.
They also said, that the updates included further error corrections and functionality improvements.
And they added, that the error corrections and improvements included improved measurement and display of rider power input.

Today I made an appointment at my LBS for the update end of next week. I will report any findings.

TQmotorguy

Apr 8, 2023
California
I received an answer yesterday (after a short reminder).

TQ confirmed that you need to install the component updates to make the new app functionalities work.
They also said, that the updates included further error corrections and functionality improvements.
And they added, that the error corrections and improvements included improved measurement and display of rider power input.

Today I made an appointment at my LBS for the update end of next week. I will report any findings.
Please do report back. thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles