First ride out on a emtb.. have a big problem

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
So went out for my first ever ebike ride omg it’s amazing!!! Big problem though I’m addicted to turbo mode !!! Should I try and restrain myself and stick more with emtb or tour mode when on the fire roads linking the trails or does it not really matter , I’m 160lbs in riding gear with a 625 battery so range not an issue
6262C5D5-C86C-4130-85F8-A87270E70B59.jpeg

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Thanks Darren does it not make much difference in terms of longevity of the motor ?

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Try using the next step down from "Turbo" which still gives a great boost but means you put a little more work in, and there's less stress on the motor.
On my Shimano that would be "Trail" but each motor has its own different modes.

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
I'm up to my 4th ride out now and I know what you mean. I'm on a 2nd Gen Bosch and Emtb (one down from turbo) does for me, but....
I read somewhere that it's a good idea to go the first few hundred yards or so with no assistance, just cycle. This gets your body used to the idea there's some work on the horizon. Last ride out I then progressed to eco mode and was surprised to find it does actually noticeably assist. I'd dropped into it on a previous ride at one point and came to the conclusion it does next to nothing, but no - it does help.
It's useful having a play with the various levels of assistance but probably incrementally from none to full (whatever that may be) and discover the levels of assistance. Eventually you may become a little more selective and don't need full on "JEEEEEEEEZUZ!!!" every ride.
Enjoy ;)

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I'm up to my 4th ride out now and I know what you mean. I'm on a 2nd Gen Bosch and Emtb (one down from turbo) does for me, but....
I read somewhere that it's a good idea to go the first few hundred yards or so with no assistance, just cycle. This gets your body used to the idea there's some work on the horizon. Last ride out I then progressed to eco mode and was surprised to find it does actually noticeably assist. I'd dropped into it on a previous ride at one point and came to the conclusion it does next to nothing, but no - it does help.
It's useful having a play with the various levels of assistance but probably incrementally from none to full (whatever that may be) and discover the levels of assistance. Eventually you may become a little more selective and don't need full on "JEEEEEEEEZUZ!!!" every ride.
Enjoy ;)

Haha good advice mate I defo think I need to try starting off in a lower mode, maybe I’m just getting excited by the ebike spoiling me hahaha

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
I love going on long trails all day long but preferably on turbo. Yesterday I rode with it switched off for 30 Mile and rode all the way back on turbo, it was awesome. I'm looking at getting another spare battery, the only disappointment with the factory ebikes is the range due to small battery capacity, I notice it more coming off a bafang bbshd 52v 19.5ah conversion. That thing would do twice the distance at twice the speed.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I owned one of those & while you're not heavy at 72 kg all up, the bike is a lump & on those tyres, you'll do well to see 25 miles in turbo. Awesome whip though, have to love that colourway. Anyway, give it a go in EMTB, turbo is boring.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
what cadence you use matters more than which mode in terms of stress on the drivetrain and maximising the assistance available from the motor. The optimum cadence v aries from one brand of motor to another and sometimes also in each motor's different assistance modes but that is little different to knowing/learning how best to use any motor..electric or ICE.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Thanks guys I didn’t realise that the cadence mattered more than the mode,it’s definitely a learning curve moving to ebikes very different to what I expected but I must say they are awesome I was super surprised and impressed by how they jump, it seems to be more balanced and stable in the air making up for my poor technique, definitely need to get more miles on it

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain
I use EMTB mode 90% of the time. I find Turbo to strong on trails. It's ok on boring fire roads etc, but the EMTB mode is so much more intuitive
Agree completely. The trails I ride, turbo would throw me off my line in no time. EMTB all the way, with higher cadence 70-90 depending. If ascending on rough trails and I need to pump to get over rocks and roots I go for the 70 range and if I need a steady pace on a steep climb, then higher cadence. I only throw it into Eco on long boring firetrail decents which I try to avoid.
I guess it's about what you're used to. Before I bought my Cube I was riding an older Canyon with Shimano E7000 and EMTB already feels like a massive boost in comparison.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Agree completely. The trails I ride, turbo would throw me off my line in no time. EMTB all the way, with higher cadence 70-90 depending. If ascending on rough trails and I need to pump to get over rocks and roots I go for the 70 range and if I need a steady pace on a steep climb, then higher cadence. I only throw it into Eco on long boring firetrail decents which I try to avoid.
I guess it's about what you're used to. Before I bought my Cube I was riding an older Canyon with Shimano E7000 and EMTB already feels like a massive boost in comparison.

thanks jdub I think the first mistake I made was starting in turbo, I’m going to try and start in a lower power mode at the start of my ride and then work into emtb mode maybe try saving turbo for the steep tech climbs

B1257

Aug 18, 2021
England
So went out for my first ever ebike ride omg it’s amazing!!! Big problem though I’m addicted to turbo mode !!! Should I try and restrain myself and stick more with emtb or tour mode when on the fire roads linking the trails or does it not really matter , I’m 160lbs in riding gear with a 625 battery so range not an issue View attachment 81983
Hamsterley 👌

Marksou

Dec 24, 2021
Llanbedrog
After a very wet session at Coed y Brenin yesterday on my acoustic, I’d have killed to have any mode available as I was blowing my arse out on the fire road. Roll on June.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
After a very wet session at Coed y Brenin yesterday on my acoustic, I’d have killed to have any mode available as I was blowing my arse out on the fire road. Roll on June.

hahaha I bet !!! Bring on the nice weather !!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Absolutely mate lots of the trails closed at the moment due to the storm and trees down, so I suppose I’ll have to go back again very soon haha
They are hoping to have everything open by half term ( approx 2 weeks time ) ..try tour mode ..its what I use 90% of the time and will extend the range of your ride ..the other 10% will be in emtb which as mentioned previously matches your cadence and will (depending on how you are riding ) use turbo ..
Personally I just don't use turbo ..as on the majority of rides it would leave me well short on completing the ride before the battery had run out ..

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
They are hoping to have everything open by half term ( approx 2 weeks time ) ..try tour mode ..its what I use 90% of the time and will extend the range of your ride ..the other 10% will be in emtb which as mentioned previously matches your cadence and will (depending on how you are riding ) use turbo ..
Personally I just don't use turbo ..as on the majority of rides it would leave me well short on completing the ride before the battery had run out ..

Ahh right thanks for that mate I’ll have to get some holidays in for half term then , yeah I’ll try that mate

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
I alway ride in turbo ! when my bike was in the shop and printed this out report which I found quite interesting! My bike had down 680 miles most of which was in turbo no shock there , but what surprised me was 276 without assistance. The only time I have rode without motor on ,is forgetting to turn back on after stopping. So either I ride down hill more than I thought or going over the speed limiter so no assistance.

6A9432A8-F60A-480C-B267-5C3F640E6B08.jpeg

Goodmango13

Jan 25, 2020
NY
Congrats on your new ride.....I think it's common, as I've both experienced personally and noticed when my friends have gotten their first Emtb's that we can't help but be so enthused that we ride in Turbo for a lot at first.....such a blast to go so fast, indeed!!!! But, in time you start to miss the grinding it out feeling of the great workout feel that the lower eco/trail modes provide with still plenty of spring and pop to the ride....so , go for it and let your joy be your indicator of what's right for you.....

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
Addictive it is! Welcome to the club. I was always an eMTB mode fan on my Bosch until I found it gave a little too much kick on the steep climbs and I struggled to keep the nose down, so I use Tour mostly now for climbs and eMTB for looping back up

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I've been the opposite , since buying my 1st e bike just over 2 years ago I've slogged away in eco and off. The odd ridiculous climb I stick it into emtb for a laugh, I guess in the 3900 miles achieved within 26 months of owning these bikes probably 2% was in turbo.

I have fear of never going back once in turbo, don't get me wrong even after 2 years on the odd occasion I cant be arsed and stick it in turbo it still amazes me at how ridiculous that mode is.

Do not underestimate the power of eco, get a decent grade hill in the correct gear and let eco do some of the work, turn it off and its like the brakes are stuck on, some people will say eco just dials out the weight of the bike but that's bollox its still a power house in the correct gear.

One day I may leave the house and return after 20 miles in turbo just to see what its like but I doubt it :unsure:

If its of any use I average around 70 miles out of a full charge on the bosch .

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l started in "Eco" but now 90% of my ride is done in "trail"
l never use "Turbo" as l like to get home after a ride feeling like l've actually achieved something!!

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Wow thanks guys some awesome responses and pleased I wasn’t the only one with turbo addiction, well I went out today and left it in emtb mode and you know what I actually enjoyed it more , emtb actually has loads of power and you get to take in a bit more of what’s around you , I agree on the technical trails turbo is mental I’m starting to get used to it now after having a few rides under my belt, have to say these ebikes are phenomenal!!!! Gave it its first hose piping today too god that made me nervous !! Battery out of course

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
l started in "Eco"
I tried 'eco' the other day.
That idea lasted 3 seconds and i went back to turbo :LOL: Actually tour is my default mode. gives good range for what I use it for, doesn't mean constant charging and i suspect turbo puts too much strain on everything if you use it too much, so i keep it for windy/incline journeys.

Or for when i see non ebike riders struggling into the wind.
I dont view this is being nasty, more like pr for ebike sales. The more that buy, the cheaper it all gets.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I tried 'eco' the other day.
That idea lasted 3 seconds and i went back to turbo :LOL: Actually tour is my default mode. gives good range for what I use it for, doesn't mean constant charging and i suspect turbo puts too much strain on everything if you use it too much, so i keep it for windy/incline journeys.

Or for when i see non ebike riders struggling into the wind.
I dont view this is being nasty, more like pr for ebike sales. The more that buy, the cheaper it all gets.

haha love this haha 😂

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I had the same addiction when I first tried e-bike last summer (first gen Levo, so not as powerful as today full-fats I guess).
Did ridiculous rides like ultra-steep climbing where stopping would tilt me over and such on log paths, etc..

The workout was good because I was constantly maxing my effort as well, literally sprinting 25km/h every uphill.
Every ride was suddenly 40+ km long and I could do them every day during lunch like nothing..

What I started missing was that relaxing down-tempo I enjoy while in nature. With my regular enduro bike (Capra29) I session jump trails, but then climb back through meandering paths, taking in the sounds and smell of nature, it's almost meditating for me. It's never about performance for me, just fun and enjoyment.

And I could never slow-down on the full-fat, the moment I went into slower regimes, the heavy-ness of the bike felt like I was stuck in mud or something and like I wasn't using the potential that was there. The bike just wanted me to go mach-speed from start to finish.

I only found my equilibrium with weaker Specialized SL bike. The effort is the same, I am spinning like mad up-hill, but instead of 25km/h I only manage 10 +/-, there isn't enough assistance to propel me uphill as fast as down so it resembles regular bike ride so much more.

(Fun fact, my 57kg wife is almost as fast on SL as I was on full-fat, my 90kg is about the limit for the weaker SL motor I think, Orbea had the right idea of merging the two worlds)

But I miss the full-fat performance sometimes, so I will give the big Levo back and I am definitely not buying one any soon as 2nd bike because I know the addiction would come back :- ).
But until then, I am keeping the big Levo until snow melts, it's fun to ride in conditions that are literally unrideable otherwise.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles