First ride out on a emtb.. have a big problem

May 4, 2018
Canberra
So went out for my first ever ebike ride omg it’s amazing!!! Big problem though I’m addicted to turbo mode !!! Should I try and restrain myself and stick more with emtb or tour mode when on the fire roads linking the trails or does it not really matter , I’m 160lbs in riding gear with a 625 battery so range not an issue View attachment 81983
Use the lowest ismy preference. But each to their own.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Wow thanks guys some awesome responses and pleased I wasn’t the only one with turbo addiction, well I went out today and left it in emtb mode and you know what I actually enjoyed it more , emtb actually has loads of power and you get to take in a bit more of what’s around you , I agree on the technical trails turbo is mental I’m starting to get used to it now after having a few rides under my belt, have to say these ebikes are phenomenal!!!! Gave it its first hose piping today too god that made me nervous !! Battery out of course
Great to see you are enjoying your new bike! Like others, I let the gradient of the trail determine the assist level I use. Most of the climbing trails around here are 15-20% so I am mostly in Trail and sometimes in Turbo, just to keep up to my wife (we are both on Levo SLs). Remember to be considerate of others on the trails, especially when passing, as no one likes a$$hole ebikers who pass riders at Mach speed.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Riding everywhere in turbo is like being a drug addict - eventually you can't get enough.

Only time I use Turbo is if I double bump the switch going to eMTB for a pinch climb I was unaware of.
41km with 763m ascent - 83% Eco, 15% Tour and a couple % turned off.
45km with 1125m ascent - 60% Tour & 40% Eco.
56km with 1447m ascent -64% Eco, 32% Tour & 4% eMTB.

Last edited:

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
I rarely use TURBO. EMTB mode is the best. Exactly the same max assistance as TURBO, but way more intuitive and natural feeling. It like the force flowing through your legs. That mode plus the strength of the motor is what puts Bosch at the top in my book.

Great sam2 by the way. Have you tried mullet? See Rob's review.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Battery out of course
That's a bit of a faff to do that every time ..I've hosed my bike down loads of times without ever taking the battery out ..zero problems to date ..its also been out in some pretty biblical downpours ..
I wouldn't want to fully submerge the bike but they can take a fair amount of " abuse " ...
It's good to read how happy you are ..long may it continue ..👍

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I rarely use TURBO. EMTB mode is the best. Exactly the same max assistance as TURBO, but way more intuitive and natural feeling. It like the force flowing through your legs. That mode plus the strength of the motor is what puts Bosch at the top in my book.

Great sam2 by the way. Have you tried mullet? See Rob's review.

Thanks chilly I agree I’m getting used to emtb mode defo, no I have seen robs review though that’s what tempted me to get it, no muller just yet though

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
i got a second 625 for full days riding. 95 percent turbo 5 emtb for super tech climbs where i need better motor control. i actually wouldnt mind a little more power or even a throttle for nasty tech climbs to keep the pedals off the rocks.

when nonebikers scoff at using the motor power that is one thing, but when ebikers act like you shouldnt use turbo that just cracks me up. you should ride however you like

Denpot29

Sep 27, 2020
Crawley
I only use turbo mode with shuttle at 100%.

I just can’t help it, I’ve got a 10 ish mile loop through the local woods that I love charging through.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I alway ride in turbo ! when my bike was in the shop and printed this out report which I found quite interesting! My bike had down 680 miles most of which was in turbo no shock there , but what surprised me was 276 without assistance. The only time I have rode without motor on ,is forgetting to turn back on after stopping. So either I ride down hill more than I thought or going over the speed limiter so no assistance.

View attachment 82451

Downhill/not pedalling I’d guess.

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Try using turbo at 18mph 😉....
Unless of course you've got it chipped in which case don't bother 😁👍

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I love going on long trails all day long but preferably on turbo. Yesterday I rode with it switched off for 30 Mile and rode all the way back on turbo, it was awesome. I'm looking at getting another spare battery, the only disappointment with the factory ebikes is the range due to small battery capacity, I notice it more coming off a bafang bbshd 52v 19.5ah conversion. That thing would do twice the distance at twice the speed.

Mine is like riding through thick mud when the motor is off. I never ride with motor off……apart from once when battery went. That was hard few miles home.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I use Turbo mode on boring road climbs and fireroads.
I can't wait to get a boring section over with as quickly as possible.
I'm like "This boring fireroad must end!"

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Nice to know I’m not alone guys hahaha 🤣 I feel I much better now haha

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l use Eco when riding on the road on my mountain bike.

The Shimano E8000 only has three modes, Eco Trail and Turbo.

Being USA specification means the assist works up to around 19mph which makes all the difference on the road.

The modes can of course be adjusted, l've got Eco set to high
Trail on Medium
Turbo on Medium

I found Eco pretty useless on the low setting, after all reason l bought an Ebike was to get further, faster.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
l use Eco when riding on the road on my mountain bike.

The Shimano E8000 only has three modes, Eco Trail and Turbo.

Being USA specification means the assist works up to around 19mph which makes all the difference on the road.

The modes can of course be adjusted, l've got Eco set to high
Trail on Medium
Turbo on Medium

I found Eco pretty useless on the low setting, after all reason l bought an Ebike was to get further, faster.
I appreciate low assist when the grip is low. Sometimes medium assist will just spin when climbing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles